Physical Graffiti CD version question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Justin MacDonald, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnborzatti

johnborzatti Senior Member

Since Mr. Barry is posting here just wanted to drop an acknowledgement on WONDERFUL sounding CD's ! ! ! The ELP stuff sounds great also!! I was just comparing a Zep II LP pressing I had found with the Broadway address on it to the original Atlantic CD and the CD BLEW it away. Since Zep II was pressed to death on vinyl it is hard to get an accuarate stamper copy, they are all over the map. Barry's mastering is stupendous on this album also!! ALL of the Zep original CD's sound marvelous on the first issue CD's by Barry!! As do ELP, Bad Company, etc!!! Thanks so much for such wonderful sounding digital issues, they will NEVER be repeated!!!

2. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I have a needledrop of Zep II classic Records 180 gram; I like it a lot, perhaps more than Barry's CD but the CD does sound great.

3. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi John,

Thank you for your very kind feedback.

I've got to re-find a whole bunch of these myself.:sigh:

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

4. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

6. sbardc

sbardc Forum Resident

Just for the record, I picked up the BMG version today, the one with D212318 on the front cover...cough intact! :)

7. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Newbie question:

I wonder what I have then. It's the UK issue (?) replica with the 2 inner sleeves visible though the cut-out windows of the paper cover. I don't see any mastering credit. I assume this is a George Marino? (Cough, etc. is intact.)

8. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I believe all Japanese mini-lp replica cd's are the Marino remasters...

9. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

It is the remaster.

The Japan mini-LP "In Through The Out Door" has different versions with the alternate covers and a paper bag, and "III" has, I believe, the wheel.

10. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

My mistake, I think it's the UK replica issue from 2005. Still Marino I would guess. Wonder why there's no credit to him or anyone? I also have III with the wheel. That's definitely from Japan.

11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have the same version, and yes the cough is there.

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I finally found a copy of the Japan first press 55XD-661/2 with the cough. So, having nothing better to do this evening, I took a look at the matrix numbers.

No Cough Version: SS-200-2-1-V2E 10
    Cough Version: SS-200-2-1-V2E 32

Going by the matrix numbers, it would appear that the "no cough" version did indeed predate the "cough" version.

Things get a little confusing, though, because I have a third 55XD pressing with the Japanese number in the matrix (55XD-661) and it has "no cough".

Other than the matrix numbers, the discs look identical. I would have assumed that the 55XD-661 matrix version came after the versions with the international number in the matrix, but then why "no cough"? I have not run EAC tests, but they sound the same to me (all great!)

13. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

we know. :winkgrin:

The discs with the different style matrix numbers were pressed at different plants.

14. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Excellent information :righton: hooray for the search facility :)

Simon :)

15. Jeff56

Jeff56 Forum Resident

I just bought a JVC Japan for US copy ... it has the cough ! :)

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I just got the PG Marino RM and I like it, but I got an original HOTH CD and it is better than the RM.

17. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I picked up this same BMG fatboy version with the cough last month in a used cd store for $8.00 :) I'd been looking for one for some time, so it was a nice find.

18. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I am looking to buy a copy of PG with the cough...anyone have an extra copy for sale?

PM me.

19. ibba1

ibba1 Forum Resident

After 2 early japanese, and a ss 200-2, i finally got a fat box brasilian edition with the cough. disc says "p 1990 distribuido pela bmg ariola discos lada".

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Me too. I prefer the sound on it a bit to my USA pressing. The USA has the cough. I listen to it when I am sick.

;)

21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Just got a Made in the USA by JVC Disc America Co with the cough. Killer!

22. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Thanks to this thread, I've just purchased the Diament mastered fatboy version (SS 200-2) for the insane price of 7 EUR, in nearly mint condition and I'm totally blown away. There is some much life in those songs!!! My best purchase for ages!

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great CD, and so are all the BD mastered versions.

24. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I'll soon get hold of them, definitely.
    But :rolleyes:I've seen that there are LOADS OF threads on that subject.....

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Do your homework, and look through the threads carefully. Some BD versions have reversed channels which are not cool. Look out for Led III and IV, especially.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.