Photos from the 2005 Hong Kong High-End Audio-Visual Show (56K users - beware)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

the hell kinda speakers are those?

2. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

They supposedly disperse sound in 360 degrees. The diaphragms of the mid and tweeters that resemble leaves are attached to the voice coil at the top of the driver. The voice coil vibrates up and down, vibrating the diaphragms, producing sound in all direction.

3. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

:wave: hi Joe
    seems as though it would defeat the purpose of having a "stereo" system

4. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

Not really. You would still have two of these things, one left and one right. Remember, a most acoustic instruments resonate from all directions. One of the biggest challenges in loudspeaker design since the beginning, is trying to achieve flat response AND wide dispersion.

These speakers would be good for listening to orchestral music where the soundstage is very wide.

5. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

I heard this setup at CEDIA last year, very impressive!

6. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Thanks for all the eye candy soundboy.... Great pics!

7. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

I wonder though just how "man" of those they sell a year?.........Man?

OK. So what? Prior to that particular post, I'd had a couple of Pabst Blue Ribbons. But hey...I'm only humid.

8. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

very true!
    but if you're listening to, say, the Yes Album
    I would think effects, like the instruments fading to different sides in Your is No Disgrace
    might be more lost than they would with the more traditional cone tower
    same with real "headphone albums"
    keep in mind I have no real "idea of what I'm talking about"
    you know... having never actually heard one of those wild 360 speakers

9. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Can't believe this thread gets revived. No problem about posting the pics. I believe this yearly show is always held at about the same time each year....July/August. As for whom to contact for info, usually there are announcements months before the show. If I come across it, I will post it here.

BTW, the admission cost to this show is about HK$40.00 (about US$5.00). It's opened to the general public (unlike the yearly Las Vegas CES) and you get a free CD/SACD. I was recently able to track down a copy of the SACD that was given away with paid admission last year (or was it the year before?) and I will post a scan of it when it arrives.

10. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

They are mbl radialstrahlers from Germany.

This from their website:

The Radialstrahler concept includes a circular vertical arrangement of lamellas around an axis for each frequency range (tweeter, midrange driver and subwoofer). On the upper side, these lamellas are firmly glued in a thrust bearing and on the lower side, they are connected to a moving coil. If a pulse of music is now transmitted from the amplifier to the speaker, these slightly bent lamellas (therefore the Radialstrahler is also called “Biegeschwinger”) are oscillated – they radiate sound waves, in this case music. The result is a sound of unusual acoustic space and realism that is absolutely free from coloring, that is neutral and
    homogenous.
    http://www.mbl-germany.de/english/start.html

I need to find a dictionary and look up "lamella".

11. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Great pics. Thanks for posting.

12. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

As beautiful as all this is, I doubt my Def Leppard High N Dry LP is going to sound $50,000.00 better with liquid nitrogen enhanced speaker cables. :)

Some of that stuff is damn-nice to look at, however.

13. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

It finally arrived today....still sealed. Fifteen track stereo hybrid SACD with music provided royalty-free from EMI Classics, FIM (First Impression Music), Deutsche Grammophon, Mercury Living Presence, Top Music, etc. The 2004 HK High-End AV Show is listed at sa-cd.net

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.