Phil Spector "Back To Mono (1958-1969)" CD Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Felix Martinez, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yeah, there were a bunch of them in the Tustin Costco the other day. I almost bought one but I didn't since I have all that stuff elsewhere.

2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Actually, four sets. I hope he saved his Costco receipt. :D

3. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

That's true, no RISK.

He can return the box sets to Costco, if they don't sell. :rolleyes:

4. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

And it's still a good deal for somebody that doesn't have a Costco card.

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Here's how I see it playing out:

Abkco sold off whatever old inventory they had sitting in the UMV (distributor's) warehouse. I'd guess this would be 2-4000 copies, max. There are a few hundred Costcos, so that's probably 20-ish copies per store: on average, one time deal, and when sold out all gone.

They're being sold off either to save warehousing costs or to clear the pipeline (a cutout in all but notch): Either Abkco/Spector owes UMV warehousing costs and these are being sold to recoup, or Abkco/Spector wants them gone because a new configuration/set is in the pipeline.

The value of these boxes is taking a short term plummet. Once they're gone from the Costco stores (very shortly), the market will take a bit of time to absorb them. But by the middle of summer, when Spector's trial begins and there's a bit of PR, demand will pick up, the excess will be absorbed, and these boxes at Costco will be selling for $35-45 each again (probably as the out of print box replaced by whatever Abkco is planning on issuing next).

That's how I read the tea leaves, anyway.

Kwad

6. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

The Costco in Brandon, Fla., (Tampa area) has a ton of them. Probably a dozen. All for $14.69. I picked a copy up today.

Couldn't find an online link at the costco.com site, though.

7. My 45's are from the early 80's, . . . Before cd's and the wild wild web.

8. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Here ya go. It says oldies.com but that's the Collectables label site.

http://www.oldies.com/index.cfm

9. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Culver City Costco has about 15 boxes.

10. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Reminds me of the day I walked in the Hartford, CT BJs Wholesale Club, and they had 20+ copies of the MFSL Pink FLoyd "The Wall" Gold UltraDiscs in the long boxes sitting there for about $18 each. I already had it, so I passed them up. BIG MISTAKE!

11. csblue

csblue Forum Resident

They still have some in the Northridge Costco in the L.A. area, $14.69 each.

12. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I found it at my Costco for $14.69. They must have had at least a dozen copies. One of the best deals of late. I was looking to see if they had SK-1 versions of the Capitol Box Vol. 2 when I saw this.

13. I saw this today at Costco in Norwalk, CT. They had about 2 dozen! (Plus a mix of Beatles long-box Capitol Albums Vol. 2, with SK1 and without).

14. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Does the sound on this box set match the lifeless (IMO) sound as found on the ABKCO Best of the Ronettes?

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The sound of the Back To Mono box is indeed very lifeless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.