Phil Collins Lashes Back At Complaining Fans

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by World of Genesis, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I saw Phil on his first tour "Hello, I must be going" era. He was quite enjoyable and played the bulk of his first two LPs and one cover "People get Ready".
    I actually saw him 3 times within a 14 month period that year (Three Sides Live Tour, Solo Tour and Robert Plant's first tour).
    It's too bad of his hearing ailment since the man loves performing so much.
    This recent tour is the way any fan (except hardcore) would want it.
    I remember a few years ago he played his Big Band Tour and even let fans know there would be no hits performed. Now he's back with the hits and he has to put up with these complaints of his truest fans.
    Great letter Phil.

Joe L.

2. jblock

jblock Senior Member

I also saw the three tours Joe L. just mentioned. He also played Brand X's "And So To F.." on the Hello I Must Be Going tour.

Jonathan

3. vex

vex New Member

Wha? No Brand X tunes?

(jus' kiddin' Phil, you play whatever the hell you want!)

:thumbsup:

4. SumnerBi

SumnerBi New Member

Strongly Supporting Phil

Dear Phil -- Your posted reply was thoughtful and deserving of our strong support. My wife and I have been following you your entire career and we think the set list for your "farewell tour" is about as perfect as if we had picked the songs ourselves. Also, a fixed and well rehearsed set is the sign of true professionalism.

It's unfortunate that many of your younger fans out there think that rock concerts are something like a night club performances.....full of spontaneity and on the fly changes. Those of us who have done this for a living know that nothing could be farther from the truth.

As for your set list content, a farewell tour should be a performance of greatest hits, not a ground-breaking display of new material OR an attempt to go all the way back to the Genesis era. We support every song you chose (except Wear my Hat -- which we have never been that crazy about, but which YOU obviously enjoy performing). We look forward to seeing you at the Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim with great anticipation. Paul McCartney said L.A. and Anaheim were the best stops on his 2003 tour. We are certain that you will feel the same way after Aug. 26th

Yours Truly,

Bill & Cindy (fans forever)

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Given the holier-than-thou attitude that many celebrities exude, Collins' honest yet respectful posting is a breath of fresh air. I applaud him for addressing his fans concerns.

Oh, and that set list looks great to me. I wouldn't have any complaints.

6. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I've got that on Laserdisc, in fact. :) I remember his parting word...."Sorry, folks, we don't know any more!" IOW, ran out of songs to play to do another encore. ;)

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

On the one hand, I like it when artists play unpredictable sets and pull out unexpected songs.... on the other hand, I hate it when I read the setlist for another show on the tour and find that another audience got to hear a song I didn't!

8. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I guess I was spoiled when I saw Yes a few years ago when they didn't play anything newer than Relayer material and nothing shorter than Roundabout (8.5 minutes).

I was the guy shouting "give me 20 more minutes of 'The Revealing Science of God". :)

There's nothing like recognition of the hard core fan.

9. olsen

olsen Senior Member

That's just sad.
    :)

10. World of Genesis

World of Genesis Active Member Thread Starter

Yes is a little different. They're very much like Rush... Neither were really pop radio acts. They grew a following in the era of the 20 album track. Phil, while having progressive rock roots, is clearly a pop act. The radio hits are what made him what he is/was (depending on who you ask). Heck, even Rush cannot escape "Tom Sawyer" and Yes will be playing "I've Seen All Good People" live until they fall over on stage.

Any successful act has their trappings...

Dave

11. Drew

Drew Senior Member

No... What was sad was the lady down the row screaming "when are they gonna play 'Owner of a Lonely Heart'" :D

Actually I'm a fan of both the Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin era's of Yes and I'm borderline threadcrapping.

I'm just saying there should be some recognition of the fan who knew who Phil Collins or Yes or any other artist before they were "discovered" by the programming director of the local radio station.

12. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

i thought it was a pretty good note, actually.....

13. World of Genesis

According to his official site, they recorded the Paris show for DVD release (coming soon!), but there are no plans for a CD.

Dave

14. World of Genesis

Technically, Phil does "I Missed Again" from his first solo album, which may have been a minor hit on his first album - but it hasn't been played live in years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.