Peppermint Trolley Co. reissue news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David R. Modny, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Oh, it sounds great - just a few crackles and pops.

2. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

I still don't buy the "fire" theory as an answer for the missing tapes of Peppermint Trolley Company (I don't want to get into why. We do want this thread to stay open, right?). I would think there would be more information available regarding the subject somewhere. Steve Hoffman, what say you?

3. bencasey

bencasey New Member

Notice I never used the F word and no, we don't want to see the thread closed. Seeing what label it's on, I would put my money on them never even requesting any tapes from Universal to begin with. If you want to know how I know this, you can PM me.

4. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

PM sent bencasey.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

STILL WAITING FOR REPLY

PM also sent yesterday bencasey.

6. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Me too... :D

7. bencasey

bencasey New Member

Just want to correct my above posting. I mistakenly thought that this was coming out on Revola, which in the past has not always used tapes, even when they are available. This release on Steve Stanley's Now Sounds label and the DO use tapes when the tapes still exist. Unfortunately, Acta's tapes have been MIA for a long time and finding tape sources most likely proved to be impossible. Sorry for the misinformation as I didn't look closely as to which Cherry Red label was releasing this.

8. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

:rolleyes: don't you people know it's impolite to tell secrets at the table?

and dammit, now i'm gonna have the Brady Bunch theme rattling around in my head for the rest of the night, thanks to this thread.... i blame you all!!

:winkgrin:

it's neat to find out that it wasn't the "real band" singing.... that's the reason i came into this thread to begin with, i was thinking "you're kidding, the people who did the BB theme actually put out an album???"....then my thoughts shifted to, "my god, not only did they put out an album, but some of these freakazoids people actually bought it??".... and now my thought is, "i don't think i belong on this forum, i'm not THAT into music!" :help:

ya learn something new every day....

the youngest one in curls........

9. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

were cool :thumbsup:

10. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I was under the impression that most of the Cherry Red titles were remastered from tape sources. Which ones do you know of that were remastered from vinyl?

11. bencasey

bencasey New Member

Most are. Two that I can think of that weren't are The Cake and Canterbury Music Festival. The second came from BT Puppy, The Tokens label, and they have no idea where any of their tapes from that label are, so there was really no other option.

Speaking of Acta, does anyone know what they used on the American Breed CD that came out of Varese years ago? My ears aren't good enough to tell myself.

12. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

While I agree that a good number of the rarer Cherry Red releases have been sourced from vinyl, most of the better Cherry Red reissues that I have seem to have been mastered from some type of tape source, either that or they've figured out a way to completely eliminate distortion and surface noise. The main issue with a lot of the Cherry Red reissues is that they frequently deal with bands that only had a couple of singles with the remainder being demos and acetates, so the CDs end up being a mix of tape sources and vinyl transfers.

13. John Beland

John Beland New Member

Somebody mentioned the American Breed. They were a band from around my neighborhood on the south side of Chicago ( Oak Lawn ). They were then known as GARY & THE NITELIGHTS. I recall them being a really great band. I left Chicago for LA in 67, but I learned that Gary had a studio called Pumkin Studios on 95th St in Oak Lawn. It was there for years but I believe gone now.

14. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

While it's nice to finally have this album on a real CD, it's a shame they had to use a vinyl source and it's even more of a shame that they had to use such heavy noise reduction. It doesn't sound terrible but I wish they had used a lighter touch. Then again, maybe they had no choice, marketing-wise. Most buyers today won't put up with surface noise and crackles and pops. I find it interesting that the music was licensed from Dan Dalton and Danny Faragher and not Universal. Here's a little comparison I did of the CD and my needle-drop. The CD is first and my LP is second (the edit is on the drum fill). You can definitely hear more vinyl noise on my version but it's also more open and and not as muffled.

I Remember Long Ago (CD/Vinyl Comparison)

15. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

And the vinyl wins again! Good grief. Now I have to find this on vinyl?

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Why is it missing the band's
    first single Lollipop Train / Bored to Tears ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.