Peppermint Trolley Co. reissue news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David R. Modny, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Beland

John Beland New Member

David,
    Yes, I was on Ranwood Records, which was headed up by Larry Welk, Lawrence's son. Because of my being signed to Ranwood, I knew many of the acts on the Welk Show, including Guy Hovis, who recorded ( and sang it on the show) my first commercially recorded composition called, NASHVILLE LADY. The song was later recorded by Swampwater and Englebert Humperdink.

My version on Baby You Come Rollin Cross My Mind was a much slower arrangement, with strings scored by Paul Parrish. It made it on the pop charts and scored very big in Miami on QUAM Radio. I still get asked about that record occasionally. Dan Dalton also produced my version as well as the Trolley's. I joined Linda Ronstadt soon after the release and thus ended my stint with Dalton and Ranwood.

Regarding my Big Tree album in 1978, it never saw the light of day due to the collapse of the label shortly after producer Jimmy Bowen mixed it. It did yeild one single CLOSE YOU'RE EYE'S AND IT'S DANIEL, written by Dennis Wilson ( not the Beach Boy).
    The actual album remains in my house today, the original two inch tapes. These tapes remained sitting at Glasser Brothers Studio, in Nashville, for 12 years until the building was sold. The new owners informed me that there were some tape boxes lying around with my name on them, so I drove down and picked up what I thought were a few demo tapes. To my shock, they were the master tapes. Nobody claimed them. I took them home where they remain today.
    The album featured guest appearances by Don Everly, Sonny Curtis, Kim Carnes, Janie Frikie as well as musicians like The Memphis Horns, Larri Londin on drums, Joe Osborne on bass and Spooner Oldman on piano. Strings by Dennis Wilson.
    The album wasn't my favorite. It was a difficult time for me following the death of my father, and the result was a rather lack luster effort on my part. Plans were made for a 2nd album for Atlantic to be produced by Ron Richards ( Hollies ) but nothing happened. I went on to better efforts with the Flying Burrito Bros and Rick Nelson shortly afterwards.
    I did record an album for Scepter in 1973, originally for Apple Records. I produced it with Paul Parrish doing the strings. That album shows up ocassionally on EBay.

2. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець Thread Starter

That's quite a diverse musical journey there, John! Interesting stuff!

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I agree, great musical journey. Too bad about the Apple deal, or maybe not. Was your contact with them through Peter Asher?

4. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

From the liner notes:
    This was mastered by Alan Rubens.

The stereo tracks don't sound too bad. The mono versions sound a little beat up. I'm guessing that they were needledropped from LP and appropriate mono 45s.

Not a bad sounding group.

5. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Just listened to the CD. Guess what? Cherry Red gave us a little surprise.

They included Lollipop Train AND Bored To Tears as hidden tracks after the last labeled cut of the CD!

The sources for those two hidden tracks sound pretty good too!

EDIT: Liner notes state that the band did not want to have their last two 45s included in the project.

6. John54

John54 Senior Member

Out of curiosity, is that the same "Lollipop Train" song that is on the Grass Roots Rhino compilation?

7. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Yes it is John.

The Peppermint Trolly Company version is much faster than the Grass Roots version. I just compared the two and the Trolly version clocks in at 2:19 while the Grass Roots version clocks in at 3:10.

8. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I've only noticed that on a few recent releases. The majority of the Cherry Red CDs I have were remastered from tape sources.

I wonder if that's actually true about the master tapes no longer existing or if that's just a "stock" disclaimer that they put on their CDs. Then again maybe they couldn't find a tape source for the LP. A tape source certainly exists for "Baby You Come Rollin' Across My Mind" - check out the Varese Vintage CD, Bubblegum Classic Vol. 3. :)

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I wonder how and when a producer or band abandons their master tapes? I could never do that. I have things I did when I was 12 and 13 years old. Of course I'm a classic "pack rat" anyway. But if I had worked really hard on a project, or believed in it I would save it.

10. David R. Modny

That one actually sounded like a non-master tape source to my ears, as well, Paul. I wouldn't be surprised if it was lifted from vinyl, summed, and with a little bit of processing thrown in to mask it. The fidelity is certainly nothing to write home about compared to a good many of the other tracks on that particular volume. At least, that's how I remembered it when I heard the Varese CD.

Though, I have to agree that the majority of Cherry Red/Rev-Ola stuff that I have is actually tape-sourced, or at the very least lifted from another digital (i.e. CD) source. Though, I have heard digital NR in places from time to time on their masterings (e.g. the outro fades on the tracks from the Association's Waterbeds In Trinidad disc - done at Sound Mastering in the UK).

We *do* know that Rev-Ola used vinyl + NR for a few of their Merry-Go-Round bonus sides (i.e. Missing You/Highway). And not very good transfers, IMHO, at that.

11. David R. Modny

Or, perhaps the above *except* summing it. I think "Baby You Come Rollin' 'Cross My Mind" was actually stereo on the Varese "Bubblegum" CD. Correct? Memory is cloudy.

12. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Yes, you are correct on that one! My memory failed me or I must have been thinking of another song on that CD - oops! :D I just listened to it and it is stereo but it's definitely sourced from vinyl - muffled and distorted. Oh well, let's hope this CD sounds better.

13. David R. Modny

Yeah, that's what I seem to remember - the track being mildly distorted and having virtually no high end to it. They probably just did the old fashioned high-cut.

Pity that the masters haven't survived.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well, I wonder how hard it is to get a NM original still with shrink around the jacket? There's nothing like doing your own needle drop when you know what you are doing. The copy in my collection was done by a person in a yahoo group I once belonged to. I'm generally never happy with other people's needle drops, this was no exception.

15. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

My copy of this album was sealed when I bought it. Still, the album was a little bit noisy but I think my needle-drop sounds pretty good. I can't wait to compare it to this CD. I hope there's not too much noise reduction.

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There is nothing like a vintage still sealed LP snagged off of ebay at discount retail (once you factor in inflation).

21 bucks plus shipping is like $3.98 at 1971 prices is the way I look at it.

I say take your tax refund and spend at least a couple of C notes on rare and minty vintage ones while the ecconomy is in the dumps. I made a couple of really nice scores recently myself.

I need to see what Peppermint Trolley is fetching these days.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Mannix was my favorite show for a while there. Just loved his assistant too, she always came through when it mattered!

How did you know this bit of trivia I wonder?

18. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I bought mine in 1979 for $8.00. :D

19. David R. Modny

Well, it took me years and years of diligent research. Then, I had to verify it via a super-duper, double secret meeting with Mike Connors himself.

(Actually...I saw the clip on YouTube...lol) :laugh:

PS - As I recall, the Mannix version of "Trust" was just a mix with certain elements of the final track missing. If memory serves, the scene took place in a recording studio, so that's what they were probably aiming for.

20. bencasey

bencasey New Member

Well, I don't know if these English companies always ask for the master tapes, especially on niche projects like this. It costs money to get the tapes run off. But, it is possible they are right because remember, Acta is a Universal music label and we know what happened last August (although it's verboten to mention here).

21. bencasey

bencasey New Member

This is why it's never a great idea to get the artists involved. I've been told of artists who didn't want their biggest hits included on their collections. Or people like Maureen McGovern and Gene McDaniels who hate their good stuff and only like the schmaltzy, cabaret music they recorded. That was why years ago when Collectibles put out the Shades of Blue collection it left off their last single. Any time the artist has a say, there will be songs that the fans want that they will say to exclude.

22. David R. Modny

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What other hits & groups/artists did Acta have? I was under the impression it was an Atlantic/Atco dist. label. My 8-Track cart was an Ampex if I recall correctly. Decca/MCA/Uni never used Ampex for tapes.

Perhaps they (Uni) bought out Acta later?

PS Ok, just looked it up, the Trolley on Acta was a Dot Records thing, which would be Uni now through their acquisition of Dot years ago.

24. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Acta was a division of Dot Records, which was bought out by ABC, which was bought out by MCA.

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Dot had pretty fabulous sounding stereo LP pressings. I have some Surfaris, Donna Fargo, and Hank Thompson LPs on Dot. I would expect nice players inside of still sealed jackets on the Peppermint title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.