Pearl Jam "Ten" Deluxe Editions coming*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guidedbyvoices, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Maybe Brendan O'Brien will master it the same way he mastered Springteen's Magic.

2. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

When did Brendan O'Brien become a mastering engineer?

3. Mike D'Aversa

I'm surprised they ever released it. It's more a jam than proper cover. And it's not even done very well, IMO. Then again, I may be biased. The Beatles are my favorite artists, but I don't rate that song very highly...

4. Mike D'Aversa

Wow! No wonder you're gun-shy. That must've sucked!

You just reminded me, though, that the random signatures also only apply to the pre-orders...

5. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records Thread Starter

Re: I Got A Feeling - it was just an off the cuff cover meant for a b side. They're just having fun, not trying to out beat the beatles

6. Mike D'Aversa

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike D'Aversa
    I'm surprised they ever released it. It's more a jam than proper cover. And it's not even done very well, IMO. Then again, I may be biased. The Beatles are my favorite artists, but I don't rate that song very highly...

Yeah, I know. I was just trying to say that I don't even like the Beatles version of that song...

7. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

it is not going to be cheaper in stores. ten club is getting the best prices.

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Just saw this thread. I'm very happy they remixed this album. I'm not a fan of that but this is one of only a handful of album I think really needed to be remixed. There's so much reverb on everything it's a runny mess. They even out verb on the guitars!

Brendan will do a nice job. I hope he just does his thing and doesn't pay too much of a tribute to the original mixes. Nothing about them needs to be copied.

9. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I have both versions (Including the single remix of EF), but I must admit that, although the original track has a lot to be desired in terms of sound, I like it. The whole thing. There's some kind of nostalgy attached to it...:love:

10. I've looked at the Pearl Jam site but I'm wondering if anybody knows if the mega-deluxe-box (with the whole shmamboogle) will be available in stores or if it is an online-only deal? If possible, I'd prefer to pre-order at my local music store. That way I can pay it off! (Location: Australia)

11. Mike D'Aversa

It will definitely be made available to stores once it's released, though I doubt many will carry it. As far as pre-ordering (with the chance for autographs) goes, I think that can only be done through the website until release date. But I'm not sure about that, and you should email customer service to find out. The best solution would be to have your local store pre-order it now, on your behalf. But if it's not an indie shop, that probably wont work...

12. I actually really like the original mix of this album, and don't think much of the remixed songs on Rearview Mirror.

But having said that, maybe I just KNOW the original mix more, and expect it to sound the way it does?

Were the first two albums recorded to digital? They have a sound that I associate with old digital recordings.

13. Mike D'Aversa

I seriously doubt it. Certainly not the second album. Vedder/Gossard/Ament had "indie" roots. I can see why you might suspect 'Ten', with Rick Parashar's heavy digital reverb on everything, but 'Vs.' sound very "dry/natural" to me.

14. Mike D'Aversa

Retrospective band quotes about 'Ten' (coutesy of Wikipedia) -

In subsequent years, band members have expressed dissatisfaction with the way the album's mixing turned out. In 2001, Ament said, "I'd love to remix Ten. Ed, for sure, would agree with me...It wouldn't be like changing performances; just pull some of the reverb off it."

In 2002, Gossard said, "It was 'over-rocked', we were novices in the studio and spent too long recording, doing different takes, and killing the vibe and overdubbing tons of guitar. There's a lot of reverb on the record."

In 2006, Vedder said, "I can listen to the early records [except] the first record...it's just the sound of the record. It was kind of mixed in a way that was...it was kind of produced."

15. Mike D'Aversa

16. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

So it looks like the Pearl Jam Ten Club might be the cheapest place to purchase the super deluxe edition.

TV

17. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Trouble lies on the shipping prices to regions like mine: over 50 bucks.

18. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

This is too sweet!

19. crassus515

crassus515 Forum Resident

20. AKA

AKA Senior Member

So Verizon is offering exclusive ringtones from the reissue, and the version of "Even Flow" seems to be the single version. I hope this is a mistake, but I'm sure the ringtones were provided by the label.

21. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I placed my order through the Ten Club website the day it was posted. I can't wait. After reading another thread about SACD, I began to wonder, considering how much effort has gone into the Super Deluxe $150 package why couldn't the CDs be Hybrid-SACD with at least a high resolution two channel layer and possibly a 5.1 mix? Another $25 would not have kept me from flexing my credit card.

Cheers, Michael

22. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident

Why the crap are these so expensive??

I think I'll wait 'til it's out for a few months and pick it up on Half.com for a reasonable price.

23. Ghost Writer

Ghost Writer New Member

24. Mike D'Aversa

The reissue of Ten serves as the launch of a planned two-year catalogue re-release campaign leading up to the band’s 20th anniversary in 2011.
    :goodie:

25. Mike D'Aversa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.