Pearl Jam "Ten" Deluxe Editions coming*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guidedbyvoices, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevin5brown
    Anyone know: is the Super Deluxe Edition the only way to get this:

LP 3 & 4: Drop in the Park – Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992 (audio mixed by Brendan O’Brien

Is it available on CD? (Or ... will it be?)

That particular show has never been officially released before (there are only a couple of early/mid-90's shows that have). So, no, it is not available on cd. And there don't seem to be any current plans to have it anywhere besides this super-deluxe box set, in vinyl form...

http://www.twofeetthick.com/tft/cc1992p2.action

09/20/92 - Warren G. Magnuson Park: Seattle, WA (Free Festival) [70m]

set: Even Flow, Once, State of Love and Trust, (Angie riffs) Why Go, Deep, Jeremy, Black, Alive, Garden, (Walkaway)/Porch/(Tearing), Sonic Reducer, Rockin' in the Free World
    notes: This concert ("A Drop in the Park") was the rescheduled date for the originally planned May 20 Gas Works Park free show. Despite some traffic difficulties, the show went rather well. Reportedly, this effort for Rock the Vote inspired approximately 3,000 young people to register to vote. Ed comments, "If you don't vote, you can't complain about the outcome." This show probably cost PJ $100,000 of their own money to sponsor. Ed tosses the mic high above, it catches over the scaffolding, he climbs up a pole--hanging for a bit--and then slides down the cord. Ed notes early in the show, "This is like the OK Hotel times one million." Ministry's drummer and Bruce Fairweather (Mother Love Bone) join PJ in 'RitFW.' At the show's close, Ed exclaims, "I can't believe we did it! You did it!" smiling

2. Mike D'Aversa

Of course. It was a video shoot, not for film...

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

If it was recorded on digital video at 480i or p, there isn't any point in a blu-ray, unfortunately. It may have been shot at a higher resolution, though. And Blu-Ray music dvd's have been giving lossless stereo mixes in addition to the gimmicky surround mixes, Just watched AC/DC 's No Bull and Live At Donnington Blu-Ray discs, and both were thoughtful enough to include PCM stereo mixes.

4. Mike D'Aversa

Not really.

Considering Blu-Ray currently occupies, at most, 5%-10% of the home video market share. And I wouldn't expect those numbers to be going up anytime soon. After all these commercials for a Christmas "rush" (that will never occur, because of the US economy) are over, Sony has stated plans on slightly scaling back an electronics division that is taking in record-setting losses.

I can appreciate the enthusiasm for Blu-Ray, but remember that cd's didn't overtake the vinyl or cassette markets overnight. And cd had the advantage of novelty over those formats, that Blu-Ray does not enjoy over dvd. It will eventually take over, but it will take much longer than some early adopters would hope/think...

5. Mike D'Aversa

Well, some thoughtful dvd releases also give lossless PCM. It's just, with all the spare space, it's much easier to be thoughtful when producing PCM audio in Blu-Ray...

6. Mike D'Aversa

I could have sworn I'd seen an incredibly similar post someplace before...

7. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

I agree, that Blu-Ray is in its early stages of its product life cycle, but it would be really nice if a high res version was included in the super deluxe set.

Now that I think of it, PJ are big Neil Young fans, so it seems PJ could learn a couple more things in the area of technology from Neil, seeing that he chose to release Archives on Blu-Ray. :D

TV

8. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

One thing about preorders... does anyone know if they charge your card when you order or when it ships?

9. wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant

Quite frankly, I wish I hadn't just spent the last of my money on a hard drive.....

10. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

"Band members have been asking O'Brien to take a crack at a complete remix for years, and he gave the idea a trial run when he remixed the "Ten" tracks "Once," "Black" and "Alive" for Pearl Jam's 2004 greatest hits album "Rearviewmirror." "

1) I dont have "Rearviewmirror". Are these considered superior mixes? Do they sound less dated?

2) Do we know if this new mix will be like that on "Rearviewmirror?"

11. dj2hynes

dj2hynes New Member

i'd also like to know.

12. Mike D'Aversa

1. Get 'Rearviewmirror'. At the vey least, you'll still be missing the "good" version of "Even Flow", even after this new edition of 'Ten'. Also, you'll be able to get a preview as to what the new mixes will sound like (since they are being done again by O'Brein).

2. Yes. The remixes sound less dated. That was the point of doing it. To get rid of the of the late 80's hair-metal reverb. The four (if you include the '92 "Jeremy") remixes make the songs sound a lot like they do on 'Vs'. As to whether they're better or not, I can't decide. And for whatever reason, I've never bothered to find out what the consensus is (or, if there even is one)...

13. surfingelectrode

According to a Pearl Jam Message Board:

-They are charging now.
    -This set is not limited/numbered, etc... so preordering isn't necessary.

And I find this out after I finally decided to give in and preorder (which I'm regretting)... Their site is so poorly designed that you can't even cancel an order! I'll have to call them tomorrow or something.

14. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

with a regular vinyl version released just a year ago and so readily available, the double vinyl set should include a disc of the new mix, and devote the second disc to the bonus material like the unplugged set or outtakes rather than repeating another regular version.

15. Mike D'Aversa

Just curious. Why do you now want to cancel? I would imagine the reason they wanted to take pre-orders was probably to find out how much they will need to spend/number of sets to produce. Just because it does not say "limited edition", doesn't mean it's going to have a big print run. Radiohead's box set from last year wasn't "limited edition", until after it had been out for a few days, and they said they were soon going to stop production on the website.

Sony/Epic is not going to be releasing that monster at "traditional" retail. It's not like your going to be able to buy it $40 cheaper at Best Buy, during the first week of release or something. I would imagine you'll still have to mail-order. So, you'll be paying for shipping regardless.

Basically, it seems to me to come down to whether you want to pay now, and guarantee easy access to a copy. Or, pay later, while competing with all the other people who can't afford to pay now...

16. Mike D'Aversa

FWIW, I haven't heard any good things about that pressing. Just another major label churning out there own cheap vinyl, to capitalize on last year's trend of more people buying records...

17. surfingelectrode

That all is true, and I'll at least have the chance of getting some cool autographs as well.

I'm just a bit nervous about ordering stuff from record labels/artists after the whole Flaming Lips fiasco that I went through last month... I preordered the 'Mega Deluxe' edition of Christmas on Mars a month in advance, on the day it was put up for sale. Warner Bros didn't ship any of the sets out until two weeks after release, and even then they didn't send the autographed copies of it to the first 2000 preorders like they were supposed to. I got mine three weeks after release, unautographed and I'm still dealing with Warners to get my order fixed...

18. 905

905 Senior Member

I find the Rearviewmirror mixes to be better. So, I'm looking forward to this.

19. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

That looks like a worthy addition to my collection. CD+CD and DVD ofr me.

20. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I like the original mix, although I think I will be getting this.
    Question: I have the 'original' European CD with bonus tracks on it (with 'Alive' (live), 'Jeremy' (live) [not sure about that one] and 'Dirty Frank') which I bought in 1991, is the US disc or mix from the same era any different?

21. leopoldstotch

leopoldstotch New Member

I have the European and US Discs and they are the same mix.

22. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

My original UK disc does not have any extra tracks on it, although i belieev that all of those tracks appear on singles from the period.

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Sounds like they're not releasing the Beatles "I've Got a Feeling" on the reissues. :confused:

(sorry for turning this into a Beatles thread)

24. Onward

Onward Forum Resident

I'll be holding on to my 1991 cd and vinyl issues, and am nervously looking forward to the first posts about sound quality on these reissues (brickwalled anyone?).

I also really really like the wet original mix. It's a good sounding record to my ears.

25. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records Thread Starter

not me, I cant stand the mix on the original and never listen to it. I'll take the official bootleg versions of those songs any day over that mix. rearviewmirror does improve the mix in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.