Pearl Jam "Ten" Deluxe Editions coming*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guidedbyvoices, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Krusen...

2. Mike D'Aversa

It's definitely on it. In fact, it's the only way to get it...

3. Mike D'Aversa

Yep. It was all part of his enjoying being a rock star. Cobain used to be the same way with Grohl in Nirvana. He was always privately (he and Courtney) threatening to fire him for being too much of a "rock star". His instincts turned out to be right. Dave became a huge mainstream rock star!

4. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

I guess I've only heard the instrumental version of the tape...

5. Mike D'Aversa

Vedder's defacto designation as Cobain's spokesman for the generation heir, became too much too handle. Publicly, Rolling Stone did a real hack job (out of spite for PJ giving Spin an exclusive) on him. Questioning his indie "cred"/digging into his muddy family history/etc. At the same time they were busy trying to change the music concert world by testifying against/boycotting Ticketmaster. A battle that they could never win. Fans were unhappy about the odd/sporadic venues, and the complex way to obtain tickets through an independent distributer. The breaking point came when they recorded 'No Code' in '95/'96. Vedder told the band at the end of the sessions, that he could no longer write everyone's lyrics for them. It was too hard/too much work. He thought he wanted 100% control, but didn't like it. This new artistic freedom for Gossard and Ament to write their own lyrics, was all part of a new group dynamic/sense of harmony (no more pent up resentments, etc). It also didn't hurt that they forced McCready to sober up...

6. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Nice topic-title...very funny...harhar....;)
    Meanwile these Deluxe-versions look very fine to me! It must be possible for the Fab Two (The Twotels) to move to Epic records?

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I don't get it. Someone please explain, or it is better edited to reflect what this is all about.

Guys, please no discussion on how/where to get bootleg material.

8. Mike D'Aversa

Just a semi-successful attempt at a joke by the OP. I, too, would recommend simply altering it to something like "New Pearl Jam Deluxe Editions Of 'Ten'"...

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Took me a while... BEAT = "Beatles" :shake:

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

A better pun would be "TEN DELUXE EDITIONS FROM PEARL JAM"

11. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

I see a notable absence among the material for this deluxe edition. They re-recorded "Even Flow" back in 1991 and released it on a few singles. At the time, the band stated in interviews that they preferred the re-recorded version as it more accurately represented their live sound. I'm surprised this track isn't being included.

edit: my mistake. It was re-recorded in January of 1992.

12. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Probably because they want to keep it as a carrot for purchasing the Rearviewmirror greatest hits set.

13. George P

George P Notable Member

Plus, what do you want for only $140? :D

14. dj2hynes

dj2hynes New Member

for those who ordered the super deluxe. do they charge you now or when the order ships next year?

15. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

I thought about that, but if you're going to produce the Ultimate release of Ten, I think it should be there.

16. SoundAdvice

Now that I thought a bit more, I realized it would have been easier just to buy a couple thousand copies of the same card from card collectors. Imagine having that job.

I once heard a story about Rocky Calivito(sp?) having a an eccentric family member try to aquire every possibly copy of baseball cards featuring their dad. Enough to slightly affect the value. The story may have been an urban legend.

17. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Agreed. Just playing devil's advocate for a second.

18. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

Oh man, If they do this for EVERY pearl jam release, like it's suggested..

There are going to be some broke **** fans.

19. Batigol

Batigol Active Member

This is going to be pretty cool, no doubt. But, what has me excited is that this release is just the beginning. I can't wait till I am able to purchase deluxe sets of Vitalogy, No Code and Yield! I just pray to god that these sets get the audiophile lovin they deserve. All the extras are great but all I care about is the sound.

20. SoundAdvice

Where does it say Ultimate or Complete?

The original article also mentions there being special events/releases over the next 2 years to celebrate the 20th anniversay of TEN.

21. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Anyone know: is the Super Deluxe Edition the only way to get this:

LP 3 & 4: Drop in the Park – Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992 (audio mixed by Brendan O’Brien

Is it available on CD? (Or ... will it be?)

22. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

+10

23. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

Seeing how the the Neil young archives set is coming out on Blu-Ray... and PJ was affiliated with Sony with the release of Ten, is anyone else here wondering why a high res Blu-Ray disc/s is not part of this set?

I know the band love vinyl, but I would like to have some high res digital for such a special package, much like NIN did with the release of Ghosts.

Also, it would be cool if in the later sets they included complete pirate radio sessions, I think the first one was Monkey Wrench Radio (which I recorded on cassette).

TV

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

(sigh) Why can't they just do a hi-rez stereo mix? There is no need for every concert to be in 5.1.

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

That's exactly what I thought when I read this. Too bad no Blu-ray, we coulda had lossless 5.1. Although I'm pretty sure Unplugged was filmed with standard-def video cameras. The Unplugged show was a very good performance IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.