Pearl Jam "Ten" Deluxe Editions coming*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guidedbyvoices, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Just got in an original Japanese press of the debut, the one with the Beatles cover as a bonus track, and it sounds fantastic. It sounds like it has less reverb compared to the U.S. version.

FJFP and PearlJamNoCode like this.
  2. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

If you could confirm this is indeed the fact, I would be grateful!

3. Vinyl Fan 1973

I did a quick comparison, but let me do a thorough check and get back to you. I also did some research before in order to get the best version, and comments were made on this forum, as well as PJ forums about the reverb.

FJFP likes this.
  4. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

When you say Japanese press, you mean CD, right?

One of my most prized PJ items is the original Alive promo single with the Beatles cover as an extra track (and a totally different outro guitar solo for Alive!)... I think it's the only place to get it besides the Japanese issues. Never understood why PJ made this B-side so difficult to find. Copyrights??

crozcat likes this.
  5. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Why would copyright be an issue?

IMO, much more likely McCready dislikes the original (he put a ton of work into re-recording it later) or is justifiably attached to the very famous/highly praised later attempt. Add to that the fact that (outside of that) the rest of the song is indistinguishable from the album version, and you have the perfect recipe for a high level of disinterest in maintaining the existence of the promo version...

6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Yup, Japanese CD.

FJFP likes this.
  7. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

That still doesn't explain why I've Got A Feeling is so difficult to get, outside of that promo and the Japanese issue of Ten. Until now I wasn't even aware that this song was in existence!

8. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Sorry, I was talking about I Got A Feeling. Not the earlier Alive.

Either The Beatles made things difficult for this cover to get wide release, or the band wound up disliking it. I'm just guessing... PJ have covered other songs like Leaving Here, which later showed on Lost Dogs.

ian christopher likes this.
  9. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Probably they realised that their version of I´ve Got A Feeling wasn´t good enough...

10. George P

George P Notable Member

I got a feeling that is not the reason.

11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Well the Beatles song is not advertised, the track is identified as ? on the CD.

12. Perhaps it's royalties in the U.S. Who knows? Like a lot of groups, these b-sides are often overlooked and forgotten.

I personally like the original pressing of the CD but am intrigued about the Japanese pressing.

13. George P

George P Notable Member

USA peak levels - 97.3 for all tracks except 2 (99.5) and 11 (100)

Japan peak levels - 95.1 for all tracks except 1 (92.9), 11 (97.7), 12 (95.9) and 13 (87.9)

So, looks like different masterings.

FJFP and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  14. Thanks George, I may have to pick this up. Always liked their first album. Some of the follow up albums I have mixed feelings about but their first is a stone cold classic IMHO.

15. George P

George P Notable Member

My pleasure, wayne. You've helped me out over the years, so I am glad to help.

I never thought that they might be a different mastering, so a shoot out is in order, probably tomorrow.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and wayneklein like this.
  16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks for posting the details, much appreciated.

George P likes this.
  17. Vinyl Fan 1973

18. George P

George P Notable Member

I just compared my SRCS 5634 made in Japan copy of Ten to my original USA CD and the Japan wins, hands down. As you said, the Japan does sound like it has a bit less reverb. It's subtle, but it's there. The Japan also has better clarity and sounds a bit more relaxed.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for alerting me to this. I knew the Japan sounded better than the USA, but I never worked out why.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  20. Vinyl Fan 1973

Great to hear your feedback, it's always nice to have another set of ears to compare. Actually you really nailed it by stating its more "relaxed", that is a great description of how I'm finding it compared to the U.S. version I've always had. The Japan CD is my go to at this point, really balanced presentation of this classic.

21. Vinyl Fan 1973

:righton:

22. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Well, that's another on the "seek out" list!

23. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

The JPN disc may have a slightly different mastering (I don't label editions with slight increases or decreases in the overall volume level, with no difference in EQ/soundfield, as being different "masterings" - especially with contemporaneous releases of different countries in the digital age).

Any difference reverb level would only be the result of listener perception of it due to these same slight mastering differences...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  24. Vinyl Fan 1973

On the Japanese CD, when Alive kicks in, the bass becomes this monster and the rumble sets in, it's crazy. Also, the volume is a tad louder, but that rumble is incredible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.