Paul McCartney to play "Carnival Of Light"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Studio_Two, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Why not though ? There is money to be made from it. I'm not aware of EMI tightening up on their vault things.

Fill me in. What gives ?

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I meant as far as bootleggers having access to Beatles tapes. I still don't think EMI or Apple will ever officially release this.

Evan

3. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

And...mainly because this Carnival Of Light is anything but a "song".
    Never heard it, but based on its descrpitions it's a sort of freaked collage.

4. Glenn Christense

I understand now. My opinion is that it's pretty much up to Paul. if he really wants to get it out, he will get it out somehow .

I know George vetoed "Carnival" for the Anthology so maybe Olivia would still try to respect George's opinion and veto release, but ..it wasn't a song of George's anyway , so with George being gone I think Paul could make the case with her for releasing it .

Obviously as a stand alone "song" they aren't going to make a ton of money with "Carnival" anyway, it will have to be tacked onto something else.

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

More like live drums, bass and organ with some shouting on top of it.

6. Chris M

EMI would love to release any Beatle outtakes. Problem is Apple has to agree to it. Regarding "bootleggers" having access to Beatle tapes the multitracks to 4 Pepper tracks recently circulated as well as an interesting alternate mix of Revolution 1.

7. Claudio Dirani

I think it wouldn't work that well live...

8. Glenn Christense

Distorted guitars also .

9. jcjc

jcjc New Member

Whats the difference

If Los Paranois and a new beginning and If youve got trouble can be released. Then why on earth would the Beatles suddenly put on airs about releasing Canival of light ? If they could sanction the release of avante gard pieces like Revolution nine or You know my name. What on earth is the difference ?

They are lucky that people are willing to pay for it because they are so beloved by some.

10. Glenn Christense

It is less of a "song " than even "What's the New Mary Jane "
    which isn't exactly " Across the Universe " either.
    Maybe they are afraid they will tarnish the image, maybe there are other concerns.

11. Chris M

Not sure what you mean. I'm sure they never intended to take it on the road.

12. Chris M

Oops. Can't beleive I forgot that. I LOVE the Pepper era guitar sounds so I'm keen to hear how Carnival of Light sounds. Actually it should be drums, guitar, and 2 organs. No bass. That's what I get for not taking Lewisohn to work with me :laugh:

13. Claudio Dirani

Surely, never. Check out other posts on this thread (Maccafan).

14. Claudio Dirani

15. Glenn Christense

I like Ringo's drum sounds also in this period . Ringo rocks "Christmas Time is Here Again" .:)

They couldn't do much wrong in this period in my book . Even their Christmas throwaway ditties sound pretty good to me !

Chris we should have ALL our "research material" available at all times !:D
    Drat. I have to work for a living also.

16. Chris M

I think if it it wasn't for George Harrison's veto part of it would have been on Anthology 2. Harrison was a major PITA during Anthology. What's really odd is his insistence that they edit You Know My Name. The bit they edited out was used on the released mix.

17. Claudio Dirani

Please allow me to fix it a bit: it's Los Paranoias. :)

18. Glenn Christense

I think Granny Smith was originally proposed for the set and he must have vetoed that one also.
    You would think that he would have liked the added representation , not to mention the royalties..

He seemed pretty contrary during the Anthology . I wonder if he got sick of the idea after he first went along with it

19. jcjc

jcjc New Member

Well Glenn

I see what you mean about Carnival of light showing the Beatles at less than their best. But I have to disagree

Maybe they would get kudos and praise for being so ahead of their time!
    If STrawberry Fields/Penny Lane and The Pepper Lp andMytery tour weren't enough they also managed to knock out the avant gard Carnival of light

I see it as testament to their greatness rather than somthing that tarnishes them.

The Beatles saw the CApitol albums as a travesty Lennon I think in particular where America cut up the finely crafted Beatle albums and chopped them up so they could get extra albums like Yesterday and Today and The Beatles second album etcetera etcetera LEnnon hated what happned to the Help album fro example chopping off seven songs and adding that James Bond stuff on Help

SO those Capitol albums have been coming out why not Carnival. People will buy it many will dig it and praise it and pay for it. Which will help allow the HArrisons Lennons and Mccartneys and Starkeys to pay that monstrous overhea for generations!

20. Glenn Christense

"Carnival of Light" , "Granny Smith" , rejected "While my Guitar Gently Weeps ", redone "Love Me Do " some of "Anything " and the jams...
    Bring 'em on.

21. Claudio Dirani

I really would die to hear Granny Smith. Paul and George's voices blend so well that it would be heaven.

22. Glenn Christense

I'm not expressing my opinion on why they shouldn't release it jcjc.
    I am thinking out loud about why THEY might not want to release it.
    I want EVERYTHING.

In my opinion if they can release "What's the New Mary Jane" on an Anthology marketed to the masses , some of whom only had a casual interest in the Beatles , then "Carnival Of Light" should see the light of day in some form for us , but hey...I'm not Apple.

23. jcjc

jcjc New Member

One guy said on a thread Waiting for Apple to do somethng was like waiting for the great pumpkin!

24. Claudio Dirani

Just Charlie Brown how does he feel...

25. Glenn Christense

I have mentioned it before but have not gotten any response :

Has the Forum had a thread compiling Beatles material KNOWN to exist, but not released at this point in time ? I have this stuff in books and magazines but it would be nice to have a list to refer to.
    I have very little luck doing thread searches . Does anyone know ?
    It might be interesting to discuss ALL the KNOWN unreleased items.

I don't mean twenty endless takes of "You Can't Do That" with cowbell variations,etc because that can quickly get boring, or things rumored to exist but with no documentation.

A core list of things we would like to hear would be interesting though, if not tackled previously here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.