Paul McCartney to play "Carnival Of Light"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Studio_Two, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcjc

jcjc New Member

If John and Paul are gargling water with distorted guitars and drums that right alone makes it worth hearing!

Pugwash heard it. maybe we'll hear it as a bonus track pretty soon

2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

That would be me .

I also joked that I will probably listen to "Carnival of Light " less than
    "What's the New Mary Jane " , but surprisingly, mentioning this song hasn't stirred up any blues debates.:D

3. Mr Tudball

Mr Tudball New Member

Actually, what Idle is saying is "Could be 'Sugarpie Honeybunch"? No! Sounds more like "Rescue Me'", which, to me, "This Song" does sound more like. They knew what they were doing!

4. Glenn Christense

Hey Chris, don't forget that there is whistling, John crying out "Barcelona! " and Paul screaming "Are you alright?" , and both John and Paul screaming like "demented old women".

With this in mind, I am leaning towards thinking "Carnival of Light" wasn't released because it was too reminiscent of "She's Leaving Home" .:D

5. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

What's The New Mary Jane is worthy of its own thread to discuss. Hmmmm.....

6. jcjc

jcjc New Member

I tried very hard to like Mary Jane cause I loved Lennons work but really it's so stupid!

The descriptions of Carnival sound pretty interesting. Are they really gargling and saying Barcelona with distorted guitars or was that just a joke

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"That's just it...... nobody knows."-Ren Hoak:laugh:

8. Glenn Christense

No, it's not a joke. That's what's happening on it.

9. vince

Actually, I hope it's as good as "Monster Magnet". I like "Monster Magnet". I'm sure it won't have the cute little 'acid chipmonk' part, but if it's got a beat, who knows.... it might be BETTER than "Mary Jane"!

10. Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver Forum Resident

imho maybe that track isn't as good as we have dreamed it what would happen if it's dissapointing :(

11. vince

Always go in negative. When i go into a movie thinking it's gonna be a piece of crap, I usually leave feeling the movie wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be.

12. Glenn Christense

Who said that we dreamed it would be good ? I am sure I would be disappointed if I expected a "song"..but I don't. I look forward to an experimental freakout track.
    Like I have posted before, I want to hear it ..if for no other reason than to demystify it.

13. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Won't fans just latch onto something else unworthy, and "mystify" it?

14. Glenn Christense

Sure. :) Then we/they will be howling for "Anything", that long track that is just percussion I guess.:D

Having no life to speak of :))) I had taken notes when I first read Lewisohn's recording sessions book years ago. I reread those notes a couple of days ago. There are still a fair amount of things in the archives that I would find interesting to hear.

15. jcjc

jcjc New Member

DID Mccartney play Carnival of light th other evening

THe recording that is

16. Ramona Blair

Ramona Blair Forum Resident

The build-up to the Roundhouse show consisted of each of the TV screens inside coming on one by one, portraying Paul playing feedback guitar against a bank of speakers on a white background. The feedback built and built for around a half hour by my estimation. Not 'Carnival of Light' but suitably arty, and quite exhilarating. Then all of a sudden the lights went down and Paul and band came on. No intros, no fuss, straight into 'Magical Mystery Tour'. Magic. :)

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That feedback build-up sounds like an amazing thing to witness, but still... maybe Paul is just pretty ashamed of "Carnival of Light" now and wouldn't let it resurface...

18. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I swear I'd replied to you on another of the multiple threads that mention it...maybe you don't believe me, huh? Nah, that's allowed...

PS: I don't get what COL could be besides the recording. Have I noticed a bit of bashing?

19. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

The same I thought about Helter Skelter - which much likely is an exteded jam... Folks out there (press included) have speculated a lot on it through the years. Just for the sake of saying "nah, it's not like I've always thought it was" after listening to the real thing.
    Bah...:rolleyes:

20. Sounds like an early amped up version of "Revolution 9" to me.

21. I believe that George Martin actually said that Paul had a voice that sounded more like what a lead vocalist should sound like at the time but that John's was unique and that he thought it sounded wonderful. I'm not quoting directly mind you but sentiments to that effect.

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

"Revolution #9" is a montage of "sampled" sounds to create a kind of music.

It apparently differs greatly to "Carnival", which is more like an actual performance, in the artistic sense.

23. jcjc

jcjc New Member

Hey that was George Martins original response to hearing the Beatles the first time. Clearly Martins views about John Lennons singing later changed a great deal.

I think to this day Martin still regrets not having included Harrison a bit more during the Beatles recordings. But his reservations about Lennon were clearly reversed by the first or second album I'm sure.

In any event Mccartney didint play the Carnival of light recording at the Roundhouse show.

24. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

He has too many great songs that he's never performed to waste time with this.

25. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

With EMI keeping a tight lid on their vaults now, we most likely will never hear this.

Evan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.