Paul McCartney to play "Carnival Of Light"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Studio_Two, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

is that where the Paul makes mashed potatoes video came from ?

2. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

Yes. It was web-cast sometime around Christmas... probably December

It was right around when "Wide Prairie" came out.

I seem to recall Linda dying in early 1998 - but I can't remember what year
    the "Wide Prarie" album came out. I'm thinking Christmas of 1998 - because
    I think he was promoting "Run Devil Run" the following Christmas with the
    Cavern broadcast

3. Glenn Christense

She died April 17th 1998 .

4. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

I've heard 'Carnival.....', it's wonderful, but we can all wait for this methinks??

It's hardly 'Beatles Forever' by 1983 Jeff.....??

5. jcjc

jcjc New Member

ok

I never heard of this "pensioners waltz" song from the white album.

You see theres probably other stuff too that needs to come out. Was this Credible that it exists ? probably a simple just the guitar and voice thing like Goodbye or Step inside love or something

How many of these unknown songs are left. They keep saying theres no more and then we find that there is. Whats that about saying everythings out then something new pops up ?

What is this pensioners waltz supposed to sound like. I guess we already know its in 3/4 time!

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

As I said, I have never seen mention in any book....Anthology, Lewisohn's, RTB....nothing. To my knowledge this song does not exist.

7. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

There's another song from '68/'69 called (probably) Everything's Coming Up Tuesday by Paul. The lyric sheet turned up a few years back as well.

8. jcjc

jcjc New Member

Thats a pretty Beatley title Everything is coming up Tuesday.
    These type of songs must be just Paul on the guitar I never heard of anymore full band originals like say Not Guilty lurking on the shelf.
    Except of course from the Threetle period.

I wonder if their might be one or two conventional tracks from the sixties with the full band. Certainly no more than that.

Of course there are avante garde things like CArnival of light and lots of demos and lots of Let it Be reharsal songs.
    What else is there anything?

9. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

For those in the U.K., his Roundhouse show will be shown next Thursday night, the 25th, on BBC2 at 11.20pm, an hour's worth.

10. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Kind of shopping list lyric...

11. Glenn Christense

That would be hilarious if Paul's shopping lists and "to do" lists were scooped up at Abbey Road and now are being sold as "songs".

Everything's Coming Up Tuesday
    by Paul McCartney

Friday's the day for fresh eggs
    Saturday it's a bottle of wine day
    Sunday it's ciggies and a hot bath
    I must pay bills on Monday because
    Everything's coming up Tuesday..

I''ll start the bidding at $100,000.00 for this "song " :D

12. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

You have? Please explain.....

13. toptentwist

I believe "Cosmically Conscious" was a Beatle-era track.

The Lumpy Trousers version that was released as an "Off The Ground" era "b-side" sounds pretty well developed... almost as if Paul had a tape of The Beatles playing it that was used as the basis for his early 90s re-make.

That's just speculation on my part... but if it *was* recorded by The Fabs,
    and isn't documented - it would most likely have been recorded at Olympic
    studios.

14. toptentwist

Actually, Mondie is washing die
    Tuesdie's soooUP
    Wednesdie is roaster beef
    Thursdie is shepard's pie
    Fridie is phish
    Saturdie is pie die
    Sundie is ch-ur-ur-urch

Is everybody 'appy???

15. Glenn Christense

but..you/Paul's gotta get Everything's Coming up Tuesday into the lyrics !

Off the track trivia question that just dawned on me;

Did Paul ever write a song where the title word or words aren't mentioned in the lyrics ?
    My first thought is I don't think so, but someone will come back in three seconds with one !

P.S. Don't even THINK about mentioning..Flying . :)

16. toptentwist

At least Brother Michael (and I) agree that Tuesdie is sooOOup.

Maybe George Martin too - since I believe Mr. Martin orchestrated that fine piece of liverpudlian poetry entitled "2dies Mondie"

Thank you very very very very very very very much.

17. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

18. Glenn Christense

Yikes ! I wasn't that far off !
    I guess I am a "Paul McCartney caliber" songwriter . :)

19. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

You bet yer life we are :righton:

20. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Have you read Mark Lewisohn and John Winn's books? They will answer lots of your questions. There aren't any unreleased "full band" original songs unless there are some early undocumented rehearsal tapes somewhere..

21. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I still think there's a good reason why it's unreleased in the first place...

but hearing it would be interesting. I doubt it'll be anything worth listening to twice, though.

22. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I'm sure it's more interesting than the strings only Eleanor Rigby and the Don't Pass Me By alternate. Keep in mind that it doesn have Ringo on drums, George on guitar and both John and Paul on organ. They thought enough of it to allow it to be played in public in 1967..

23. Glenn Christense

Of course. If it was GREAT or even good it would have been released by now. It's an experimental track, done for one event , and not polished up all nice and pretty like their regular work.

The legend of this and other unreleased minor efforts grows and grows because of the "can't have it so I really want it syndrome". I am as guilty as anyone concerning this, but if and when "Carnival of Light" is in hand (and in ear) I will probably actually listen to it slightly less than "12 Bar Original" and "What's the New Mary Jane ".

It's just a track for my Anal Beatles Completist Archives. (ABCA)

24. jcjc

jcjc New Member

Books are often wrong

The Plethora of books on Beatles songs and recordings while helpful are by no means without error. For example Harrisons you know what to do.

Who knows whats out there. It would be foolish to assume that we know every song they ever made a recording of.

On a side note Someone here tells me at least one never before heard Beatle alternate take surfaced today.

I wonder why it's suddenly raining Beatle takes people haven't heard before hmmm?

25. toptentwist

I've always felt that "12 Bar Original" is *probably* not an original.

I realize this suggestion is in conflict with the notes on the recording sheet AND the copyright filed when the Anthology set was released.

I know some other Beatle fans who have spent time combing through the Booker T. and The M.G.s catalog searching for an instrumental that sounds similar...

I've even seen some titles proposed... "Plum Nellie" and "Jellybread" are two that I've seen suggested (and don't agree with)...

But then one day I happened to notice an undocumented song (not listed on the sheet that came with the bootleg - or listed on books that talk about McCartney) on a very old recording of Wings on stage from the 1972 tour.

I recognized the song... but I couldn't come up with the name.

After listening to it a few times, I realized it was the same song Van Morrison sings on his "Too Late to Stop Now" double live LP set... the song???

"Help Me"... (I'm not certain, but I believe it was) originally recorded by Sonny Boy Williamson.

For grins, I pulled out the version by Sonny Boy Williamson and put it on.

To my surprise - Sonny Boy's version of "Help Me" sounds pretty darn close to "12 Bar Original" - with vocals layered on top. MUCH closer than any of the Booker T. songs I had been listening to...

So my theory is "12 Bar Original" was actually an aborted attempt by The Beatles to record "Help Me"... if they had continued forward - they would have layered vocals on top of the track... my guess is the lead vocal would have been Paul - given that he sang the song a few years later on stage with Wings.

Call me crazy if you want... but dig up the three recordings and give them a listen first:

1.) "Help Me" - by Sonny Boy Williams
    2.) "Help Me" - by Paul McCartney & Wings (with Paul on lead vocal)
    3.) "12 Bar Original" - by The Beatles

Extra credit will be given to the first person who can name the Duane Eddy song that The Beatles played on the BBC circa 1964 or 1965... HINT: it was mis-titled on most (all?) bootlegs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.