Paul McCartney to play "Carnival Of Light"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Studio_Two, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

Sounds kind of interesting to me. I thought it was going to be four tracks filled with "various indescribable sound effects" and nothing else, but with organs and guitars and drums at least there is something musical, even if it's totally abstract.

How long is the piece?

2. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

Maybe now that we've been forewarned - LOL

But in 1989... I kept screaming at the top of my lungs on rmb that the
    music being played before the Macca concert was probably an original composition... but the bootleggers never bothered to record it.

Instead we got horrible recordings of stuff that was eventually released
    on a live double CD set (with bonus singles)... and I'm still trying
    to remember what "Church Mice" sounded like...

"Church Mice" is apparently the name of the classical music that
    Paul wrote, recorded, played every night through the PA... and
    no one ever bothered to bootleg (to my knowledge)...

At least I made an effort to get inside the venue and listen to it
    all five nights I saw him in Chicago and NYC.

And the sad thing was I sat next to the king of Beatle bootlegs
    at one of the NYC concerts - and I don't think he ever bothered
    to turn his cassette recorder on during the pre-show music...
    AND.... he told me later that he hated the tape he made - LOL

The funniest part of that tape must be the 40 minutes or so
    he talked to me on the train after the show. I remember sitting
    on the train back to NJ and all of a sudden he whips
    out his cassette recorder and says "Oops... I forgot to turn this
    off"

3. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Church Mice has been available as it was also played (along with about 5 other unreleased songs) during the 1993 preshow music. Another unreleased acoustic instrumental was played after the 2002 concerts. Then there was the unreleased Modern Dance played before the 2005 concerts so it's possible Macca just might unleash COL as part of the preshow music.

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I swear i thought I hear the opening credits music to "High Heels" as part of the pre-music during the 2002 tour. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

5. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I put "Carnival Of Light" in the same category as the 27 minute Helter Skelter.

That is, fun to talk about but I suspect we would be tremendously disappointed upon actually listening to them.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Like the "song of heavy metal proportions" take 1 of Tomorrow Never Knows? WHat a let down!:sigh:

7. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I always heard that it was George Harrison's voice that Martin had his doubts about.

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Well in Mojo he called them "crap" collectively so I guess they all sucked!:D

9. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

:laugh:

10. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

If we should hear Carnival of light, then we might as well hear the untitled jams that occurred on June 1, 1967 the day Sgt. Pepper was released in the UK.

11. bob2935

bob2935 Active Member

If he does play it , it will probably be mixed or segued with something else and certainly unannounced. How will anybody know if they heard it?
    Bob.

12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

This will be interesting in the "Revolution #9" sense, not in a structured song sense. Anyone expecting a "song" will be disappointed. I certainly want to hear it , if for no other reason than to demystify it.

I won't be disappointed though because I even get a kick out of hearing the goofy instrumental music in Magical Mystery Tour playing while John shovels spaghetti ! :)(Jessie's Dream. "Song" copyright listed as McCartney- Starkey-Harrison - Lennon.. I believe )

13. I remember reading that he made one about the Grateful Dead. Was this ever released to the public?

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

How does it compare with "The Pensioners Waltz" that was left of the white album ..purely in terms of aesthetic value ?

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

:confused:
    I've never heard this track or any mention of it.

16. alexpop

It was mentioned in Record Collector about 10 years (maybe less) maccas hand written (half a dozen lines)in ink was being sold at christies pop auction.

I have the clipping somewhere ..it was pretty banal stuff ..pop ditty type of thing ..I assume ....never having neard heard the tune.

No Berio ...more Berry :)

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Is that the same guys that mentioned Pink Litmus Paper Shirt and I Should Like To Live Up A Tree?:sigh:

18. Glenn Christense

Here's some nice Carnival of Light info [abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/carnival.htm

Obviously archived from the Abbeyrd Beatles page , so thanks to them for posting this info .

19. alexpop

I don"t think so..there was a photo of Paul(white album pic) next to the lyrics..it looked genuine to me.

It was featured in the Record collectors news pages.

20. Jose Jones

Exactly Dave. I love the idea behind "Mark I" or whatever take 1 of TNK is called, but the mix on Anthology 2 is awful. The loop track is way cool but slips out of time with the rhythm track quickly--which I suspect is the real reason they did a re-make.

21. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I think it was on the VHS "Compleat Beatles" Paul over John's singing and musicianship.. and also recall George Martin (years later) almost teary-eyed playing tape of John's vocals on ADITL for SGT PEPPER making of...

22. Jose Jones

That is a very interesting piece of music, as is the incidental music when everyone crawls inside the tent to watch Jolly Jimmy. I wish some of that was put out on the MMT album.

In fact, I wonder why some of Carnival Of Light wasn't used in the MMT movie....or was it? We might never know.

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

:laugh:

24. Glenn Christense

I had wondered at one point if "Jessie's Dream" was a piece OF "Carnival of Light" , but there has never been a mention of this so..I guess not.

25. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure I saw the Grateful Dead thing on one of Macca's web-casts.

Not bad - but not terribly interesting either... just a bunch of black and white photographs fading into each other... pretty much like what my 6th grade kids did last year when they were expected to use a PC to make a fancy slide presentation using some microsoft application that could do fades and dissolves and add music (moviemaker???)

I think it was probably during the promotional broadcast Paul did for Linda's "Wide Prairie" album. I'm fairly certain it was the broadcast where Paul give a cooking demonstration. Parts of it might be on youtube...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.