Paul McCartney to play "Carnival Of Light"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Studio_Two, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perian

Perian Forum Resident

I know Paul has said that its inclusion on Anthology was vetoed by the others. So that's not true?

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Different stuff was chopped for different reasons. I think George axed Carnival since he thought it was a waste of 10 minutes or not the best home for the track.

3. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Well there you go, right there. George didn't want it out in 1995 with the Anthology volumes, so why do you think things are any different today?

4. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Because we don't know if George blocked it because he was against ever releasing the song or releasing the song on Anthology.

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

First, I listen to ANTHOLOGY 2 & 3 all the time since they're on my iPhone ... ANTHOLOGY I, not so much.

Second, I've never heard "Carnival Of Light" but I gather it's in the same ballpark as "Revolution 9" and "What's The New Mary Jane?"

If that's the case then why do so many folks want it released?

And for the poster asking if anyone listens to their ANTHOLOGY sets, maybe the better question is how many people regularly play "Revolution 9" and/or "What's The New Mary Jane?"

To be honest, I always skip over "Revolution 9" but have been known to listen to "What's The New Mary Jane?" from time to time.

6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've never heard that before. May I ask where you got that info?

7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I doubt anyone is blocking it. The issue I do see is: it's not commercial. I think it would need to be issued with something else, like a new set of outtakes and whatnot. But with the remasters in the can, they're going to wait on those now. You only get one great Beatles package every so often. That's how they keep their legacy alive.

It would be neat if Paul just snuck it onto an EP or something like that. That would be fine with me, but as it's own commercial entity: only hardcore fans would care and actually listen to it. But then again, there are many of us.

Also, it would have a lot of hype around it as Paul being the truly artistic one before John's "Revolution 9." You know that's how the papers would put it.

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

And I listen to the Anthologies very much. Those releases came out as I was a teenager and it brings back a lot of nostalgia for me to listen to them. In some cases, I prefer (or like just as much) as the original versions: "I'm Only Sleeping," "She Came In Through the Bathroom Window," "And I Love Her" to name a few.

9. ArmyOfQuad

ArmyOfQuad Forum Resident

I wouldn't compare Carnival of Light to What's the New Mary Jane or Revolution No. 9. Carnival of Light is more a Paul thing, while those 2 are John. So I imagine Carnival of Light will be a bit different. Of course, I have no idea since I've never heard it.

10. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

As much as we may hate to hear it chaps.....there's got to be something for future generations to cling too. We may be long gone before a spotty oik decides to release 'Carnival of light' to promote the 2050 'Beatles' back catalogue on a format we haven't even comprehended yet.....

Sad but true, there is lot's more livin' to come even beyond our beautiful years. :agree:

T.

11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

...Nooooo....!!

12. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

13. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

1. Try to find one of the handful of people, still alive, that attended that.
    2. The "happening" may have been just a boring/standard one, without the "beautiful people" of the music world (who would have been more likely to care about McCartney's aural "doodle").
    3. The piece may have been played without mention of its author/performers, and gone unrecognized.
    4. Even if you find a person who attended, and knew it was by McCartney/Beatles, they aren't going to remember anything except taking their dose of LSD...

14. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Ya right, as if hearing it will suddenly silence the folks on this forum from speculating on whether they heard the original version or an edit, what mix, what master, was it sourced from vinyl, CD, tape, analog or digital, original pitch, whether the EQ was bottom heavy, top heavy, smiley face, harsh mid-range, noise reduction?, compressed?, when will it appear on Rock Band?, was John/Paul/Ringo on drums?, did John/Paul/George play lead?, was that a harmonium or an electric organ?, etc...

15. ArmyOfQuad

ArmyOfQuad Forum Resident

Well, at least we will have conversation of substance about Carnival of Light, rather than discussing who has to be dead before we get to hear it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.