Paul McCartney Super Bowl haftime lipsynch?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ted_b, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You can but it takes more time to set it up then what they have at a superbowl.

I knew it was phony...alas it was still good to see and hear.

I guess this is like finding out there is no Santa Claus. :winkgrin:

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

This just in from where? The latest internet rumor mill?

3. Jose Jones

I'm thinking if the backing tracks were pre-recorded, then the mix was lousy. You could barely hear the piano in Drive My Car. Isn't that the point of pre-recording---to avoid stuff like that?

4. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Some, if not a lot, of this information is inaccurate. Somebody better get an eraser for the period. :laugh:

"You cant do live music for broadcast in a sold-out circular stadium.
    Period." :laugh: Geez, and some of us thought those $50 Pay Per View "Live" shows of The Stones, The Who, etc. were actually live. Sounds like one hell of a lawsuit is coming.

Take care,
    Jeffrey

5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Yes you can. Its called a live concert, have you ever seen one on TV?? Jeez :sigh:

6. You have got to be joking, right? I think there's been a rock concert or two in the past that may have taken place in a "sold-out circular stadium" and was broadcast live.

Brett

7. I also thought some of the guitar parts wern't coming through very loud. Kind of like listening to a stereo with one of the speakers turned down partway. Maybe it was my TV.

****Bill*****

8. Jose Jones

Actually, come to think of it, it was sort of like listening to old Beatles concerts.....either you couldn't hear George's guitar, or the drums, or someone's mic wasn't working....so it becomes even more authentic now...

9. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Really? U2 was live.

10. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I just read the transcript with an interview with Elton john on Larry king the other night.
    The question came up if Elton watched his fellow Brit during the halftime show, He said no, that he never watches the half time shows. He says they are overly commercial. The next question was, would you ever do one? He said never. The next question was would you ever lip sinc? and Elton said never. He would cancel due to illness before lip sinc.

I thought this was a rather revealing questionaire about Pauls performance.

Anyone else check this info out and find it interesting?

In the same transcript, elton said he enjoys playing the Vegas shows, it keeps him flying only 100 days out of the year instead of 200. I knew they had to get around, but can you imagine flying over 200 days a year and performing live shows almost every night?
    That man has some energy for his age.

11. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Guys,

Remember, the is very little set-up time for an event like the Super Bowl, there is precious little time to do a "sound check" to get the mix right with an no advance set up and also remember that some of our members have very credible sources of information. This is one of the reasons we come here.

I have no problem with "music tracks" recorded in advance of an event like the Super Bowl where is simply no time to set-up properly in advance. Just not possible, when the stage and equipment is set up that quickly. This is very different from a big venue event where there is ample set-up time and time to perform proper sound checks prior to the actual event. I think we have established that the vocals were "live" and this is a positive.

Bob :)

12. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

:righton:

13. Jose Jones

I see, it's like religion; we just have to accept it on faith.......

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

:laugh:

15. Jeffrey

:laugh:

16. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

So far, nobody has given any prove that it was/wasnt a lip synch performance. It has all been : 'in my little TV it looked like lip sync' and 'no, in my bigger tv, it didnt'.

A lot of people may have credible sources of information, but there's also people here that dont. A lot of people still think they saw the vocals not in synch and therefore think the vocals were not live.

Still, is nice to benefit from different opinions and enjoy different points of view on things. :thumbsup:

17. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Nah, it's like religion in that you all should :chill:, for christ's sake...:)

I think demanding authenticity from a Super Bowl halftime show is ridiculous.

18. WVK

WVK Forum Resident

19. Jeffrey

Hi,

Demanding and debating are completely different things.

Nobody is right 100% of the time and nobody is better than anybody else around here, imo. The inference otherwise is an insult to all.

Take care,
    Jeffrey

20. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

This only makes logical and practical sense to me considering the demands of such a show. The actuality of this event highly supports the information presented here by member namretsam - just common sense. These half-time shows are - highly "staged" events. They have to be. How can they not be?

Bob :confused:

21. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I don't think anyone would debate the authenticity if there wasn't some latent demand that it in fact be authentic. I could be wrong on that point, it's just a personal observation.

Nobody's saying anyone's 'better' - just that they work in freakin' Hollywood and might have sources for their assertions more close to the event than a TIVO blow-up. But, if debate is the name of the game here, facts would just spoil the party...much more fun to have grand theories. :)

22. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I agree, Bob, not to mention the demand by the NFL and network that the event be absolutely flawless, particularly with last year's surprise appearance in mind. :D Credibility via truly live performance is an unaffordable luxury with a billion people tuned in :)

23. Jose Jones

I think McCartney would have had far more credibility if he turned down the Super Bowl then, and said, "Sorry boys, I don't do fake live appearances with my band". That's credibility to me.

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My students said it was boring too. Not me.

25. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

McCartney is a PROFESSIONAL. If he was required to pre-record due to the atmosphere, the time for setup, etc, he would do it.

It's a JOB. We put way too much emphisis on stuff like this. To Paul, it's just another engagement. It's special, sure, but that's what he does for a living.

Comon folks, this is NOT that big of a deal. It was a good presentation - that's it!

:-jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.