Paul McCartney Super Bowl haftime lipsynch?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ted_b, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Which is exactly what The Beatles did for the '68 "Hey Jude"/"Revolution" promos.

So what's the big deal? :confused:

2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I think you guys are jumping a lttle too quickly to these conclusions. I have a regular stereo feed and I see none of the evidence that is showing up here. It seems to me there was a cue for the beginning of each song, but beyond that I need more convincing. I'm not from Missouri, but my home state is right next to it.

Let's have a quick concensus, shall we? Who has HD, who hasn't, and who thinks there was lip-syncing and who doesn't.

3. Dingusboy

Dingusboy Forum Resident

No HD, No lip-sync.

4. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

:agree:

5. CHARLOOTZ

CHARLOOTZ New Member

No HD, no lip-sync.

6. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

i vote live performance.

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

NOT a lipsync. just some sync problems in the transmission.

8. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

HD, no lip-synch

9. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Were you watching in Hi-Def? I've heard that there was some sort of minute audio delay with the High-Def feed. I was watching good ole basic cable and there were no independently moving lips...Paul's mouth matches the vocals perfectly.

10. Rick J

Rick J New Member

HD, no lip-synch

11. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

It looked real to me. It was a heck of a show too. Paul rocked.

12. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Thanks for the answer but i disagree about the need and usage. Soundchecks w/ portable stages minimizes the concern combined w/ the minimal number of musicians the roadies had to deal with on stage. If the Pyrotechnics can setup and safely ignite thousands of fireworks w/ exactly the same time constraints and the Light Technicians can coordinate an amazing live lightshow w/ the same constraints, then i think professional roadies are up for the challenge of plugging in a couple guitars.

Just another view,
    Jeffrey

13. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

No HD (for FOX), still not sure. Get Back sure looked LS'd, but I may be wrong.

Bottom line - - - WHO CARES? It was great!

14. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

15. Raidersfan

Raidersfan Forum Resident

a friend at work said it didn't look live, and I had watched him playing "drive my car' and it didn't appear he was playing the bass line at all. I didnt tape it, so I cant prove it..

16. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

You can't judge by looking at the TV, regardless of what kind or size of TV you have. Haven't you ever seen someone sing the National Anthem? The audio and video are never in synch. It doesn't mean it's pre-recorded.

I can't believe that Paul McCartney would dare risk the criticism that has been given to "performers" like Ashley Simpson, etc...

17. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

No HD, no lipsynch.

18. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

I think the only thing this thread (and the AVSForum) proves, is that many of you aren't very familiar with watching sports and related shows from sports venues.

I have never seen a halftime show or anything recorded "live" from a sports stadium where the audio and video are completely in synch. Of course, this doesn't prove that Paul and his band were not "helped out," but I would definitely refrain from basing my opinion on what it looked liked to me on my TV. I've seen hundreds of times when the singer, the crowd singing, etc, was not perfectly synched with the video.

Besides, considering what happened last year, I'm sure there was an intentional delay in case something happened that they needed to cut away before in was broadcast nationally.

19. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

OK, here's a question for you technical guys.

Is it possible that a singer like Paul could do that entire 4 song set, in a stadium, moving around like he did, and have the vocal level of his voice remain constant, clear, and defined as it did? Even when he moved back from the mic?

If so, then I guess it was real.

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

lipsynch

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Then why did he bother to keep looking down at his hands to make sure he played the right notes? If it's prerecorded, I don't think he'd have done that.

I'm in the "live - at least most of it" camp. There were a few moments in "Drive My Car" and "Hey Jude" that sounded a little suspicious, but there were plenty more moments that didn't. I watched it again last night with a more critical eye and felt more convinced it WAS live than the first time I saw it.

BTW, why the hell do we care? If all the brainpower devoted to this question tried to build a better mousetrap, there'd be a lot of dead mice right now...

22. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Really. What does it matter to us? Heck, he had a job to do, and yes he did it well. He really gave the girls and fellas HELL! ;)

23. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

This just in...

Recorded in Capitol's Studio A last month and practiced by the band to video monitors for four days last week. Paul's vocals were mostly live . Thats it. End of story. Move along. Nothing more to see here....

i don't know why everyone one is so sensitive about this. Nothing musical is ever live at the Super Bowl . Even the armed forces choirs at the pre-game were pre-recorded. You cant do live music for broadcast in a sold-out circular stadium.
    Period.

24. RDK

RDK Active Member

Exactly. Thank you.

25. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Why are we so sesitive about this? Well, the Ashley Simpson SNL debacle is still fresh on many minds. If it came out that Sir Paul was lip-syncing there could possbly follow a similar public outcry. Although it has not really hurt Ms. Simpson's career, it would be harder for Paul to escape negative press.

I'm glad it appears that his vocals were live, which is what I thought they were in the first place. Prerecording the music makes a lot of sense and is done regularly with television programs of all kinds, not just stadium shows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.