Parasound amps appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pdxway, May 31, 2019.

1. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Donno about suffering quality but apparently customer service is down the tubes. Several of the top (customer) service experts are gone anyway. Not sure about the tech/repair folks.

yeah, I bought a P 7 then later an A 21, both thru authorized resellers of factory refurb gear. Seems they’ve pulled all that back to direct sales. Maybe that’s not a bad thing …?

BUT, IF I ever buy again, maybe a JC5? It’ll be used.

Audiobliss@67 likes this.
  2. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

3. DaveWin

DaveWin Parasound fan boy extraordinaire.

Well this isn't helping the brand imo. Man this is the best they could do? This is a capacitor :) and some shielding.

Pythonman likes this.
  4. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Pretty sad and pitiful video I thought. Kevin seemed unqualified to talk about the product and the other guy who designed the fabulously reviewed PS Audio Stellar Phono, seemed in an awkward position describing some of the technical details. Totally left out (unless I missed it) any discussion of the Vendetta Research phono stage the JC3 is based upon.

I’ve noticed the JC3+ has been selling in the $2500 range which is a crazy good deal. The transformer looks like it’s been changed from the older R Core unit unless it IS an R Core transformer sealed up now in the round can.

DaveWin likes this.
  5. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Forum Resident

I currently have 2 rooms: family room has Parasound zonemaster 2 for a movies setup 5.4.4 .

my main room has a mixed use music/movies 7.4.4 setup with parasound 2125v2 amp and Parasound 2100 preamp.

You mentioned Musical Fidelity, and last week I cancelled my order for Musical Fidelity M6s prx amplifier because it doesn’t have a trigger input.

Instead,I ordered a new amplifier NAD C298 at 185 wpc (similar NAD M23, 200 wpc) will replace my Parasound 2125v2 at 150 wpc (love it but I'll repurpose it to power my surround L/R channels).
    Reviewers say that the new NAD with eigentakt (c298, m23) sound almost as good as $7500 amps from Parasound JC5, Passlab 150.8 and ax25, Benchmark ahb2, mcintosh, hegel.

I don’t want anything heavier than 50 lbs (ideally under 30 lbs) or runs hot.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  6. DaveWin

That's some pretty heavy duty claims! I would like to know who these reviewers are?

Audiofan1, bever70 and Audiobliss@67 like this.
  7. john stein

john stein Well-Known Member

Yes, the Parasound amps offer a ton of performance for the money. Have had 3 of them over the years. Probably sound better with tougher to drive speakers where more of their power range is being used.

Audiobliss@67, DaveWin and pdxway like this.
  8. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Forum Resident

M23 versus Passlab xa25. It's the sound musicality that matters to me more than the specs (my ears hear music, not specs).

hman likes this.
  9. Audiobliss@67

Audiobliss@67 Well-Known Member

I know....late report
    My A23 has been on 24/7 since 2009
    The only light out is the power light last year
    Red badge and 2 blue indicator lights still going strong!

bever70 likes this.
  10. DaveWin

Steve is trying to sell you the amp :) Yeah he didn't say anything I would claim to not be honest. I like Steve, but a boat load of transparency on the upper frequencies has me a bit concerned. In all reality we/I want a natural sounding amp and maybe more even keeled and a kick ass safe bet. I think he was telling the truth if you ask me. We just should really analyze what he's saying. One more thing I wanted to add. Remember you would have to live with this amp. That's why long term listening and just be cautious.

11. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Forum Resident

I've auditioned $160k/pair Burmester 909 monoblock amps with $700k/pair of Wilson Audio Chronosonic speakers, and for this reviewer to use the NAD C298 with the Wilson Audio is encouraging: NAD C658 Streaming DAC & C298 Amp Review - The Absolute Sound

..and that was just the NAD C298, a reviewer who owns both the NAD C298 and NAD M23 said that the NAD M23 is even slightly better.
    Review NAD M23 power amplifier - Masterful Purity - Alpha Audio

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  12. DaveWin

Well I like the Alpha Audio guys a ton. Theirs no wrong answer in this hobby. I'm finding decent value sonic wise in a $450.00 amp at the moment.

13. Audiobliss@67

Hello
    So I was looking into a p6 or 7 to integrate between my A23 and Anthem 310.
    My priority is two channel music.
    My system all comes on when I watch TV/ movie
    Looks like I'm having a hard time finding a new parasound with home theater bypass...is this fairly straightforward to set-up?
    And with the new sheriff in town I'm concerned about customer service and support.
    Richard would always answer my questions and I'm not sure of any other options to give me a slight edge in sound quality.
    Thanks for any info!

Rick58 likes this.
  14. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

The alpha audio reviews are usually crap and marketing bull.

The dirac capabilities of the C658 preamp are very interesting though!

15. DaveWin

Well it's our job to find value in there video's or not. Plus we have an obligation to verify what anyone is reviewing. The thing I really like is when they compared the ten audio plugin filters. I know it's only YouTube, but they were the first I've seen to seamlessly splice the audio from one filter to the next. Very useful comparison in my mind.

16. Audiobliss@67

Has anyone here upgraded from the previous Halo line to the + line?
    I can get a great deal on a A23+ to replace my 15 year old original A23.
    Thinking it might be wise to get a new one while I can...not sure how long the lifespan of a amplifier is before problems arise.

bever70 likes this.
  17. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Forum Resident

Yes it's straighforward if you don't have subwoofers when playing 2 channels music. Just plug your AVR's L/R rca outputs to the Parasound's HT/bypass RCA inputs.

No, it's not straightforward if you have 4 subwoofers like me and have the Parasound 2100 with auto HT bypass when the 2100 is off, and want the .
    I use 2 subwoofers for 2 channels music to help out my front L/R bookshelf speakers, and when I watch movies then 2 rear subwoofers also turn on.
    When my 2100 is off, the L/R and subwoofer signal are sent to my amplifier but my 2 front subs aren't getting triggered to turn on so my solution is install a Y-splitter for the input trigger on the amplifier so that it receives input from both the 2100 preamp and the AVR.

I have a Parasound 2100 preamp for my mixed use music/movies 7.4.4 setup. 2100 has auto Home Theater bypass when the unit is off because only the L/R rca are sent, not the subwoofer RCA outputs.
    The Parasound 2100 preamp's volume knob (and additional features like subwoofer outputs, tone controls, L/R balance) sounds better than my Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer's volume knob, before going into my Parasound 2125v2 amp.

P6 has similar analog specs as my 2100, and with digital inputs and dac. P6 does not have auto HT bypass when the unit is off.

P7 has the best analog specs, but it does not have auto HT bypass when the unit is off.

Parasound 200 pre has a HT bypass, dac, digital inputs. But not auto HT bypass when the unit is off.

18. Audiobliss@67

Thanks for the information...I will look into what options I have.

19. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Forum Resident

The Parasound A23+ has great damping factor of 800+.

For tight bass, Benchmark has a good article that considers the speaker wire and distance that reduces the damping by the time it reaches the speaker, and basically they said 300+ at the amp is what's needed to achieve 150 at the speaker using a wire that is 12 gauge/10 foot long.

Audio Myth - "Damping Factor Isn't Much of a Factor" .

Good bass from amps that have around 150 (reduces to 100 at the speaker):
    - Parasound 2125v2
    - McIntosh
    - Musical Fidelity Mx8, M6s PRX
    - Passlab 150.8, 250.8

Best bass from amps that have 350+ (reduces to 150+ at the speaker):
    - NAD C298, M23
    - Parasound A21, A21+, A23+, JC5, JC1
    - Benchmark AHB2
    - Burmester 911, 909
    - Hegel
    - Passlab xa25
    - Dan D'agostino
    - Accuphase A75

Dafox, Audiobliss@67 and pdxway like this.
  20. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Forum Resident

My list is amps that also have great tweeter specs: THD, channel separation/crosstalk, SNR.

I added a few more in bold to the Best bass from amps that have 300+ (reduces to 150+ at the speaker):
    - NAD C298, M23
    - Parasound A21, A21+, A23+, JC5, JC1
    - Benchmark AHB2
    - Burmester 911, 909
    - Hegel
    - Passlab xa25
    - Dan D'agostino
    - Accuphase A75
    - Rotel 1590
    - Audio Research DS-450M
    - Trinnov
    - Anthem MCA 225
    - Lyngdorf MXA-8400
    - T+A A200
    - Bryston 4B

- PSAudio

NOTE: But when I add my requirements (<50 lbs and <16 in deep, trigger input/output, gain adjustment, RCA loopout for subwoofer), that list above gets pretty short.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  21. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

The input selector in my Original Halo Integrated is not working very well. It jumps inputs, skips, and sometimes works the opposite (turn to right, it moves left). Remote control works fine. Does anyone know if this would be an easy fix?

22. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Forum Resident

Try doing a factory reset.

punkmusick likes this.
  23. Audiobliss@67

P5. P6?

24. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Halo Integrated 2.1

25. punkmusick