Ornette Coleman The Shape Of Jazz To Come - 2010 WB/Rhino LP Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SergioRZ, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Sounds terrific, thank you. Another one I need to add to the list of must buy reissues :angel:

3. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have it now (the new 2010 reissue).

Anyone else experiencing some strange sounding distorted pre-echo when the horns come in on the very first seconds of the first track on side one?

It's not like typical "normal" pre-echo when you can hear loud sounds seconds before they are actually played on the adjacent groove wall. I mean, it is clearly pre-echo, but not only that, it's also distorted like some electrical "buzzzzzz", similar to inner groove distortion...

I'll probably ask for a replacement... but before I do that I'm trying to learn if other people have this problem, maybe the initial batch is like this or something...

Thanks! :righton:

4. SergioRZ

5. dosjam

dosjam Forum Resident

Sounds like a pressing defect. I'll let you know how my copy sounds once I pick this up.

I just bought a NOS sealed Gene Ammons OJC Bossa Nova. Sounds great but it has a few of those buzzes. Win some lose some.

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

No issues here. A fantastic sounding record. Rhino is really upping the ante with their Atlantic reissues. Has anybody heard the Grundman mastered Coltrane reissues?

http://www.rhino.com/article/rhino-pays-tribute-trane

7. SergioRZ

I have a replacement disc on its way right now :)

Also ordered Coltrane My Favorite Things from the same series. These are must have titles, with really great mastering. The bit I heard of "Shape" really impressed me :righton:

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yeah I have all the originals, plus the Coltrane "Heavyweight Champion" box, but I would love to hear what Grundman did to these classic titles.

9. SergioRZ

Received my replacement copy..... same problem :shake:

I'm surprised that I'm the only one with this problem. Nobody else getting Shape Of Jazz To Come from Elusivedisc? This must be a bad batch...

10. carledwards

Sergio, Download the high-rez sample I posted for evidence of an LP that does not have the problem you're experiencing. This will at least let you know it's not all of the records. I assume you've ruled out a tracking issue with your gear?

11. SergioRZ

I'm open to all possibilities... but shouldn't I hear similar problems playing other records, if it was a tracking problem with my gear?

I've been listening to so many other records, and this type of "noise" I've never heard before :(

I'll try to make a video that allows you to hear this (sorry I'm not able to needledrop), maybe you can help me identify what it is.

I've been waiting so long for this reissue, and now I can't get it to sound properly because of some problem (pressing or tracking or something else). :realmad:

12. carledwards

Yes, you would certainly think so. I'll help any way I can. Good luck.

13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Sergio, how about getting the original Atlantic vinyl into consideration? I've been happy with it for many years.

14. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

You are not alone! Same problem here, album purchased in Boston. May need the long-term type of fix, if you know what I mean. Otherwise, grate sounding LP.

Best.

15. SergioRZ

I might try that... but I'm usually very happy with reissues as long as the mastering is good and preferably with all analog production.

16. SergioRZ

The sound is great, it makes me really sad that I have this problem. Good to know I'm not alone, and also that there are good ones out there.

What would the long term fix be? :confused:

17. SergioRZ

You can hear this in the video I uploaded on Youtube, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdV9nOlPhow

The sound "Glitches" start from the first seconds of the first track and occur intermitently during the first 2 or 3 minutes. On this video it is most noticeable at 0:23 and 0:28, later again at 1:13 a repetition of the same disc section.

What is that?

18. SergioRZ

Is that noise familiar to you guys? Can you help me identify what type of problem causes that noise? :righton:

19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Saw the youtube. It sounds like typical stitch noise about which you can do nothing. :cry:

20. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

I agree... I think that noise is on the recording, not an artifact of the pressing.

21. SergioRZ

22. carledwards

I'll take a stab at this and opine that it sounds like moments of skating by the arm. I'd meticulously re-calibrate your arm and tracking and see if it goes away. It looks like your arm may be moving back and forth a little bit, too. I would certainly go through a complete setup with a good test record and protractor to make sure it's not your setup.

23. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

But Tom, a "typical stitch noise" IS a pressing defect. If that's the problem , there would probably be more good ones than duds in circulation.

24. SergioRZ

Since some people report their copies play just fine, I'll have to believe that this is one of two possible scenarios:

- Bad pressing batch... I'll have to find a good one out there.

- Hardware setup problem... I'll have to check it out and fix it.

For now, because I can play every other record without problems and this is the first time I'm actually hearing this type of noise, I'll just take the safer and logical bet: find another copy that plays fine :)

I'll try to return this second bad one, and maybe order another from a different location...

25. carledwards

Of course, you should do whatever you think makes sense, Sergio. I'll just point out that some records are harder to track than others. The fact that you haven't experienced this problem with other records does not, in any way, rule out tracking issues. Food for thought. :sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.