Original CD Pressings to Avoid

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

With you on that one. Seems like it's sometimes a case of which cd sounds the least bad. First issue cd's IMO are limited to some extent by the shortcomings of early DA converters and the source tapes used (sometimes masters were used but usually not). Remasters can suffer from over processing. a lot of artists just never got good masterings on cd. For David Bowie, Genesis, and Paul Mcartney (plus many others) I'm sticking with the vinyl.

2. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

For some of these, it's more of the production / mix than anything.

3. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Has anyone pointed out which of the Elvis Costello Columbia CDs were really as bad as the whole lot were purported to be?

4. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I thought it was the rykos n' rhinos to avoid. Yet another example where I'm sticking with the vinyl. Can't wait to try the MFSL Lp's of the first 3.

5. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

There's probably tons of threads on this already, but I seem to recall Armed Forces had reversed channels on the original CD. I used to own it, but had nothing to compare it to at the time, so I never noticed. I sold it when I upgraded to the Ryko version.

later, chris

6. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

I thought I would revive this old thread as I recently found a real dog of a cd! I apologize if this has been covered previously in this thread or another, but I recently got bamboozled by purchasing a Byrds "Original Mono Singles '65-'67" on Columbia pressed in Japan and believe me when I tell you that this thing is a total stinker! It is possibly the worst cd I've ever heard and I've heard a lot! Throughout the whole disc there seems to be an "out of phase" thing going on that is about as unprofessional a mastering that I've ever heard. Anyone know the story on this piece of garbage? I'm not trying to disparage, I just don't want somebody to make the same mistake I did. I will never get that 8 bucks back! If you see this crapper in the bins, run for the hills! I'd been better off giving my 8 bucks to charity!

7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

The vinyl sounds just as bad. There is a thread discussing this somewhere. Bottom line: if you want the original mono singles, get the new Sundazed double-lp.

8. steeler1979

Thanks! I really wanted the mono versions, but wow, this cd was bad! I guess I will track down the Sundazed set! :righton:

9. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

That's called the wonder of Phil Spector :laugh:

10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Coulda warned you about that one---the worst ever!

Evan

11. steeler1979

Man, no kidding! :mad:

12. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Van Halen-1984. Bass is severely rolled off on the original WB. Sadly the remaster isn't very good either (compression, brickwalling).

Vinyl is the only way to go for this one.

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Those Van Halen albums never had any low end on them. That's one of the reasons they fired Ted Templeton and got with Andy Johns on the F*&# album.

14. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Whoever was responsible for my US WB copy of 1984 did a fine job. The bass (what there is of it) is actually pretty decent. On the original CD (as well as a Columbia House vinyl pressing I sampled) it's virtually non-existent (extreme amounts of EQ yield little improvement).

Sounds almost like the same tape (or copy) was used for The CD and CRC pressing, while the standard US vinyl had a little "adjustment" somewhere along the way.

15. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I've been reading mixed opinions on this own. I have the remasters and like them but have not listened to the original issues for what its worth.

16. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The remasters are much much worse, avoid them as well. It's the recording and especially mixing. is what it is

17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Cheap Trick At Budokan

This was the second CD that I ever bought. It was so shrill, I couldn't listen to it.

I have only had vinyl copies ever since.

18. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

(1976) Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap [465258 2]

There are mar a few mastering glitches im hearing throuout this CD
    for instansce Ride on around 4:30 i hear these nasty glitching sounds and Jailbreak there a lil static around 3:08 into song.
    can anyone that owns this cd confirm this?
    Or i may have to buy this CD again.

19. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

The firts cd pressings were revolting!!!
    There was no EQing for a start. IMO the 2000 remaster is lovely.

20. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

CDP 746273 2 - 1st Australian Pressing
    may be the way to go i dunno

21. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

Anything from Eric Clapton (or any band he had anything to do with) with an RSO logo on it. I tihkn we'd all agree on that, right?

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Why do you say that?

23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Nope.

24. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

The original US Deep Purple "Burn" CD. I'm not a fan, it just sounds very shrill and a bit empty to me.

25. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

Yeah, I'm probably over-stating things here. I do have a couple copies of "Layla" here that were crap and could swear that my old Cream disks weren't so hot either. Can you share a little insight here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.