Original CD Pressings to Avoid

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Wow, is that so? When I was yound and listening to my beloved vinyl records, I was always surprised to hear echo from the upcoming song... I mean, on [almost] all my records (Canadian vinyls). One mystery of the past resolved. This forum is full of fascinating info!

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

But you can also hear this pre-echo on copy tapes of compilation albums. I've heard Reader's Digest and Time-Life '80s CD comps that have this 'pre-echo,' but you know the sources are varied and some of them corrupt from being old copies, fake stereo, bad sources, whatever. So the label takes this old tape used for '70s or '80s box sets and puts them on CD, their own pre-echo. Not sure what that means beyond bad sources and sound, but it's just as true that RCA's use of pre-echo tapes--even if true original mixdowns--did not come out well, as I remember from the nasty sound of the fake stereo ELVIS' GOLDEN RECORDS(which also had pre-echo, IIRC).

Bad karma all around...

:ed:

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Gents, once again: TWO types of pre-echo. First type caused by print through on the tape. Second type, caused by careless disk cutting. The second type is the most common on old LP's.

4. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

They did but George decided not to release it. He also had any reference discs and the tapes destroyed. :sigh:

5. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

The remaster of Brian Eno's Another Green World is a big improvement on the original. Too bad they didn't make an SACD since DSD was used in the transfer...

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Well, I have the orginal RCA cd of Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust" made in Japan, and the original Caroline cd of Van Der Graaf's "H To He..." and I think they both sound good. The Ziggy is actually phenomenal!

7. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

just got this and an old Godbluff. both sound okay to me. :shrug:

8. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I love my MFSL needledrops. Significantly better than the EMI CDs.

9. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Those mentioned actually sound quite fine compared to most Capitol classic pop CDs. The "originals" of those were mastered by Larry Walsh (poor) or Bob Norberg (odds bodkins gadzooks). They'd top the "avoid" lists, but sadly most haven't seen a better CD release and quite possibly never will. :sigh:

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I disagree on the Billy Joel, Toto, Dylan, and Bowie discs. Regarding the RCA Bowie discs, if you feel they are unlistenable, give the Ryko and later Virgin discs a spin. The Rykos are earbleeders at high volume in my opinion, and the current Virgin remasters I've heard are horrid. The RCA discs are still tops.

11. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Oh - Louis Armstrong's "blue border" Columbia CDs of his early material. The subsequent CDs, Columbia / Sony remasters included, are preferable. In fact, a good many of the "blue border" Columbia Jazz titles from any artist, the first CD releases of most, are better served elsewhere.

12. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

These CD's are incredibly quiet. I don't have the numbers but they (especially "Another Page") have to be turned waaaaaay up just to be heard.

Ed

13. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. "I Dig Love" has tape hiss and both CD's have the 3 dots at the end of the matrix number on the inner ring so mine is the copy to have, unless you like NR. I find nothing too offensive with the "All Things Must Pass" UK 2 CD set. It is what it is.

Thanks.

Pat

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The original US ABKCO Stones CDs are generally a mess. I also prefer the Virgin 1994 remasters of the 1971 and later stuff, though the old CBS CDs aren't terrible IIRC.

I always hated the original CBS "My Aim Is True" CD, which sounded like the album was recorded in a cardboard box, and I don't care for the CBS "Venus and Mars" - the DCC tromps all over it...

15. Eric B

Eric B Forum Resident

I remember when I first heard that Christopher Cross CD....I was amazed at how quiet it was! :confused: VERY unusual, even before everything was compressed to the max.

16. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

Man,that first issue of Chicago 16 was awful.Duller than Death Valley!:shake: Same for the first pressings of Hall & Oates Private Eyes [PCD1-4028] and Christopher Cross's debut and Another Page,all laughably low in volume.The first RCA CD pressings of Jefferson Airplane and David Bowie are also rotten as well.:thumbsdn:

17. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

"Private Eyes" didn't bother me but Chicago and Cross certainly did. Strange really. "Christopher Cross" sounds amazing. Why the follow-up is as quiet as it is just confuses me. It's also worth noting that the original "Chicago 17" is one of the best-sounding CD's I've ever heard by anyone.

Ed

18. "Blue" sounds dreadful in it's early CD issue. Clangy, dimensionless.

19. Gatos21

Gatos21 Member

Kind of odd to be naming such a recent release and of course it's been discussed her to death, but no discussion of poor original CD pressings would be complete without mentioning Mr. Meller's mastering of Icky Thump. Steve's vinyl is really the only choice. Maybe someday the SH mastering will end up on an Icky Thump CD pressing...

20. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish SeƱor Member

What in the disk cutting process gives that print through sound? It it cutting too close to what's just been cut?

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

:agree:

22. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

Those two are among the first few cds I bought! I listened to a remaster of "Country Life" and heard pretty much the same sound with eq.

Stephen

23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Why wait if you can do a needledrop. :)

24. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

ELP-Karn Evil 9 Original Atlantic CD.
    I always thought this sounded really dull, absolutely no life to speak of, which was strange because the other Atlantic CDs were good. I remember picking up a copy of ELP The Atlantic Years and hearing Karn Evil 9 on it, and man did it kick ***. Still think to this day that The Atlantic Years contains the best ELP digital transfers.

25. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

Did you hear any West german Manticore CD yet ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.