Orchard Audio Starkrimson Stereo Ultra Amp Tour!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ted Torres Jr, Jun 19, 2022.

1. RonN5

RonN5 Forum Resident

Thanks for the suggestion… I will give it a try tomorrow and report back…. With an input voltage of 4 and gain of 12… output voltage should approach 16 volts… will be interesting to see if/how the sound changes.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    33na3rd and barondla like this.
  2. RonN5

RonN5 Forum Resident

@barondla

I spent several hours going back and forth between what Schiit calls active stage - zero gain (meaning the signal passes through the Kara preamp active stage but no gain is applied) and active stage 12 db gain (meaning the signal passes through the Kara preamp stage and 12db of gain is applied) with both the Ultra and the Pass.

If there is a difference with the 12db gain mode, it’s influence is so small through both amplifiers that I’m not sure whether to trust my own perceptions. What I might have heard…..the very, very deepest bass might have had a little more authority and the very top end...the shimmer heard on cymbals might have “shimmered” a little bit more...and this was true for both amplifiers.

But, the fundamental sound of these two great amplifiers was unchanged...no change to the soundstage, the vocals, the drive, the warmth, the coolness….etc.

In the event that what I heard was “real”, I’m going to finish my next day of listening before sending the amp on to the next tour participant in the 12db gain mode...and hopefully be more focused on listening for pleasure and not so much listening analytically.

3. barondla

barondla Forum Resident

@RonN5 thanks for checking out the high gain setting. We just never know how components will interact with out listening to them. Perhaps the Ayre Codex dac isn't as comfortable as a line stage. Looking forward to your full review.
    Thanks,
    barondla

orchardaudio and rhale64 like this.
  4. RonN5

RonN5 Forum Resident

@barondla

Like many others DACs, the OPPO 205 adjusts volume with bit density not with an actual internal line stage...but according to all of the various tests that owners and reviewers have done over the years, as long as the volume control is above 40 (scale is 0-100), you are at least playing back 16 bit information. But, it takes playback at 70 to get the maximum noise reduction (something like 120db SNR+Noise). I've tried it at many settings from 30-100, never heard much difference and also never liked it driving the amp directly as much as when my preamp was being used. Why, with no preamp, the sound seems brighter/thinner.

I know that this doesn't mirror the experience of everyone but its why I didn't try the Kara in "pass through mode"...now I'm curious so I'll give it a try in a few days after I get my system put back together...the Ultra is on its way to the next destination and I have cables and gear everywhere.

My final thoughts on the Ultra in a few hours...meanwhile, let me just say....loved it!

5. RonN5

RonN5 Forum Resident

Who was it that said “all good things must come to an end”? Regrettably, I had to send the amp to its next “tour” destination and a quick check shows it is now in Jacksonville and on its way to the freezing north.

I am fortunate enough to own two great amps...the Wells Audio and the Pass and because of my experience with the Ultra, I will regretfully have to sell one of them.

The Wells sound is slightly warm with an absolutely beautiful midrange with dense tonality. The Pass is less warm, equally beautiful tonality but with a slightly more forward sound and an energy that suggests the band is in the room.

And then there is the Ultra. During my final few days with the amp, I spent many hours just listening...some with the Kara preamp gain set at 0 and some set at 12. With either setting there are a few things about the Ultra that I find compelling:
    • the blackest background I’ve ever heard that results in wonderful detail and spatial information

• an ever so slightly deeper low end that blends beautifully with my subwoofer

• beautiful piano, trumpets, vocals, snares, and cymbals
    At the end of the day, the strongest recommendation I can give the Ultra is that I’m going to buy one, dual mono, just like the touring amp.

As I already mentioned, during my more analytical listening sessions...switching back and forth told me the Ultra and the Pass were very similar sounding with just a few minor differences...at least in my system and my room. What really made the decision for me were the extended listening sessions...the amp just pulls you in and you want to keep listening.

It sounds great at 70db and it sounds great at 85 db. The music is relaxed when it is supposed to be and comes alive when it is time. The soundstage is deep, wide and immersive when the microphones and recording and mixing engineers have done their jobs properly. Granted, it is only one piece of the total system, but when it is in my system, it just allows the music to sing.

I can’t thank Leo enough for giving me another opportunity to join the tour.

mreeter, timind, barondla and 5 others like this.
  6. ejk1

ejk1 Forum Resident

Benchmark blah. LOL

7. orchardaudio

orchardaudio Orchard Audio

Steve Hoffman -- Fully Loaded Rev 2.0 unit review.

Future Audiophile Review (November 2023) -
    Rev 2.0
    Hi-Fi Trends Review (October 2023) - Rev 2.0 DMC
    2 Channel Listening Review (September 2023) - Rev 2.0
    Home Theather Hi-Fi Review (July 2022) - Rev 1.0

Reviews with rev 1.0 $2900 MSPR unit (single power supply and cap upgrade):
    @Ted Torres Jr -- here and here
    @james -- the review is at this link (post #7)
    @Oliver Meyer -- the review is at this link (post #37)
    @Jaytor -- the review is at this link (post #66)
    @gguy -- the review is at this link (post #111)
    @naru1980 -- the review is at this link (post #147)
    @okc_craft -- the review is at this link (post #165)
    @ejk1 -- the review is at this link (post #171) -- purchased amplifier
    @RonN5 -- the review is at this link (post #192)
    @barondla -- the review is at this link (post #214) -- purchased amplifier
    @DennyCrane -- the review is at this link (post #224) -- purchased Starkrimson Ultra DIY amplifier kit
    @nymarty -- the review is at this link (post #278) -- has agreed to purchase the current tour unit once the tour is complete
    @MValentiner --the review is at this link (post #287) -- purchased ultra monoblock amps
    @jimbones -- the review is at this link (post #360)
    @thomaskong -- the review is at this link (post #425) -- purchased 150W monoblock amps
    @Paul_In_WA -- the review is at this link (post #440)
    @Nick BZ -- the review is at this link (post #502) -- purchased amplifier

Reviews with rev 1.0 $3500 MSRP unit (dual power supplies, with capacitor upgrade):
    @Ted Torres Jr -- the review is at this link (post # 89) -- purchased amplifier
    @rhing -- the review is at this link (post # 507)
    @jcn3 -- the review is at this link (post # 515)
    @CarmineRed -- the review is at this link (post #574)
    @panhead -- the review is at this link (post #584)
    @Barry_NJ -- the review is at this link (post #639)
    @rhale64 -- the review is at this link (post #661) and here and here -- purchased 6 x Starkrimson Ultra amp modules
    @barryso -- the review is at this link (post #668)
    @NEXTLEVEL5 -- the review is at this link (post #678)
    @avanti1960 -- the review is at this link (post #706)
    @Gibsonian -- the review is at this link (post #713)
    @Chris Adams -- the review is at this link (post # 720)
    @TubeGuy76 -- the review is at this link (post #730)
    @markl -- the review is at this link (post #748)
    @Johnu -- the review is at this link (post # 758)
    @thegage -- the review is at this link (post # 825)
    @dflee -- the review is at this link (post # 831) -- Purchaed the touring Rev 1.0 unit.
    @David Hagerty -- the review is at this link (post #866)
    @Lemon Curry -- the review is in the works
    @Cwatters0 -- the review is in the works

Reviews with Starkrimson Stereo Ultra DMC Rev 2.0 $4000 MSRP unit
    @TPMorrison64 -- the review is at this link (post # 887)
    @Marc.etc -- the review is at this link (post # 890)
    @Mike Doolittle -- the review is at this link (post # 893)
    @RonN5 -- the review is at this link (post #930)
    @kengler13 -- this review is in the works

Upcoming Individuals:

@snuffleupagus -- the amp is on the way to this individual
    @David Downs -- in line

Joining the Tour:
    For anybody else who is looking to join the tour please send me a message through the contact us form on the website.
    The tour amplifier is the rev 1.0 "middle" configuration (single power supply with caps) at a $2900 MSRP.
    Starting with @rhing the tour amplifier is the rev 1.0 "fully loaded" configuration (dual power supplies with caps) at a $3500 MSRP.
    Starting with @TPMorrison64 the tour amplifier is the Rev 2.0 Starkrimson Stereo Ultra DMC.

Tour Rules:
    Participants are responsible for the cost of shipping to the next person.
    After trying out the amp, participants have to write their thoughts in this forum thread.
    Participants get to try the amplifier for 7-day

barondla and Ted Torres Jr like this.
  8. orchardaudio

Steve Hoffman -- Fully Loaded Rev 2.0 unit review.

Future Audiophile Review (November 2023) -
    Rev 2.0
    Hi-Fi Trends Review (October 2023) - Rev 2.0 DMC
    2 Channel Listening Review (September 2023) - Rev 2.0
    Home Theather Hi-Fi Review (July 2022) - Rev 1.0

Reviews with rev 1.0 $2900 MSPR unit (single power supply and cap upgrade):
    @Ted Torres Jr -- here and here
    @james -- the review is at this link (post #7)
    @Oliver Meyer -- the review is at this link (post #37)
    @Jaytor -- the review is at this link (post #66)
    @gguy -- the review is at this link (post #111)
    @naru1980 -- the review is at this link (post #147)
    @okc_craft -- the review is at this link (post #165)
    @ejk1 -- the review is at this link (post #171) -- purchased amplifier
    @RonN5 -- the review is at this link (post #192)
    @barondla -- the review is at this link (post #214) -- purchased amplifier
    @DennyCrane -- the review is at this link (post #224) -- purchased Starkrimson Ultra DIY amplifier kit
    @nymarty -- the review is at this link (post #278) -- has agreed to purchase the current tour unit once the tour is complete
    @MValentiner --the review is at this link (post #287) -- purchased ultra monoblock amps
    @jimbones -- the review is at this link (post #360)
    @thomaskong -- the review is at this link (post #425) -- purchased 150W monoblock amps
    @Paul_In_WA -- the review is at this link (post #440)
    @Nick BZ -- the review is at this link (post #502) -- purchased amplifier

Reviews with rev 1.0 $3500 MSRP unit (dual power supplies, with capacitor upgrade):
    @Ted Torres Jr -- the review is at this link (post # 89) -- purchased amplifier
    @rhing -- the review is at this link (post # 507)
    @jcn3 -- the review is at this link (post # 515)
    @CarmineRed -- the review is at this link (post #574)
    @panhead -- the review is at this link (post #584)
    @Barry_NJ -- the review is at this link (post #639)
    @rhale64 -- the review is at this link (post #661) and here and here -- purchased 6 x Starkrimson Ultra amp modules
    @barryso -- the review is at this link (post #668)
    @NEXTLEVEL5 -- the review is at this link (post #678)
    @avanti1960 -- the review is at this link (post #706)
    @Gibsonian -- the review is at this link (post #713)
    @Chris Adams -- the review is at this link (post # 720)
    @TubeGuy76 -- the review is at this link (post #730)
    @markl -- the review is at this link (post #748)
    @Johnu -- the review is at this link (post # 758)
    @thegage -- the review is at this link (post # 825)
    @dflee -- the review is at this link (post # 831) -- Purchaed the touring Rev 1.0 unit.
    @David Hagerty -- the review is at this link (post #866)
    @Lemon Curry -- the review is in the works
    @Cwatters0 -- the review is in the works

Reviews with Starkrimson Stereo Ultra DMC Rev 2.0 $4000 MSRP unit
    @TPMorrison64 -- the review is at this link (post # 887)
    @Marc.etc -- the review is at this link (post # 890)
    @Mike Doolittle -- the review is at this link (post # 893)
    @RonN5 -- the review is at this link (post #930)
    @kengler13 -- this review is in the works

Upcoming Individuals:

@snuffleupagus -- the amp is on the way to this individual
    @David Downs -- in line
    @Schmitt53 -- in line

Joining the Tour:
    For anybody else who is looking to join the tour please send me a message through the contact us form on the website.
    The tour amplifier is the rev 1.0 "middle" configuration (single power supply with caps) at a $2900 MSRP.
    Starting with @rhing the tour amplifier is the rev 1.0 "fully loaded" configuration (dual power supplies with caps) at a $3500 MSRP.
    Starting with @TPMorrison64 the tour amplifier is the Rev 2.0 Starkrimson Stereo Ultra DMC.

Tour Rules:
    Participants are responsible for the cost of shipping to the next person.
    After trying out the amp, participants have to write their thoughts in this forum thread.
    Participants get to try the amplifier for 7-day

barondla likes this.
  9. orchardaudio

10. orchardaudio

The tour is on hold as the amplifier got damaged in the last shipment.

Once repaired we will continue.

11. orchardaudio

12. orchardaudio

***SOLD***

rhale64 and barondla like this.
  13. orchardaudio

@RonN5 recently shared with me pictures of his DIY 3-ch (500W each) custom amps. 1500W per side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ejk1

ejk1 Forum Resident

Leo you have your Rons mixed up

15. rhale64

rhale64 Well-Known Member

Yes Leo Ron's mixed up. I am rhale64 with the Orchard 3 channel amps. Remember these are actually for one speaker per side.

16. RonN5

RonN5 Forum Resident

Those look fantastic!

33na3rd likes this.
  17. orchardaudio

Correct, this is @rhale64 creation. Sorry for the confusion.

18. barondla

barondla Forum Resident

Wow! Impressive looking amps. Love the look. Bet the system sounds incredible.
    Thanks for sharing,
    barondla

orchardaudio likes this.
  19. rhale64

Yes it does sound incredible. I am so looking forward to getting my other OCC wire to finish up my 7 channel. Well 6 for now. But I have it setup for 7. That one also has extra capacitance because of the 7 channels. It can do a total of 1500 watts at a time though do to the power supply. But it will have extra reserve in the tank. I don't think I will ever use that much for surround, center and overhead speakers. My center will be about 93db efficient. Going to make a center to match my mains. These amps are truly awesome.

20. orchardaudio

21. orchardaudio

So an interesting development just happened. As I posted earlier the DMC 2.0 that has been going around got damaged on its way to @snuffleupagus. Upon receiving the unit for repair the capacitor upgrade boards are missing from inside the unit.

I know for a fact that this unit had the capacitors installed in it, but at some point either before the tour or during the tour, somebody took the capacitors out. I do not have the time or energy to investigate this, but this is very disappointing. So I have no idea whether everybody who tried the DMC 2.0 tried it with or without the capacitors, it may just have been dual mono (DM).

I will have the capacitors installed back into the touring amplifier and get it back out to @snuffleupagus. However, this is going to add another week of delay least.

22. james

james Summon The Queen

What!! That’s wacky!

David Hagerty and 33na3rd like this.
  23. Ted Torres Jr

Ted Torres Jr Synergistic Maximus Thread Starter

Leo,

After all you have done for the SHMF membership product test offerings these past 20 months, I find this situation appalling! :wtf: :cussing::rant: :realmad:

Ted

24. rhale64

That's a shame. So basically someone stole the capacitor boards. I don't remember what it looked like inside when I got it. I know that a lot of the screws were loose and rattling inside. So I tightened them up. I think I would have noticed if the cap boards were missing.

Edit I just realized I didn't have this version of the amp. I had rev 1.

orchardaudio, RonN5 and Ted Torres Jr like this.
  25. ejk1

ejk1 Forum Resident

What a piece of S**t. TFB for my reaction but someone does a nice thing like Leo, and someone takes advantage of it. Cheap Bas***rd. Couldn't afford to buy your own? Then stay on the cheap and cheerful forums. I hope the capacitors blow and burn your house down.