OPPO's BDP-80 Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A player - coming 1/25/10!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dbmay75, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. everton

everton Forum Resident

OK...This is a general question that applies to both the 80 and 83. Is there a remote control code hack to make them play DVD (not Blu Ray) for any region? If so, I'm sold.

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

3. everton

everton Forum Resident

Thanks, Brad. I've been holding off on buying the 83 because I thought that I'd need a hardware modification to enable region-free DVD playback.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

But now you know what to do to find out about region-free DVD playback and what to do if hardware modification is required.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

There is no remote hack for region free DVD or BD playback with either the BDP-80 or BDP-83.

6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

This may end up as one of the MOST important posts that I've ever read on this forum, thanks Brad for the link!

Chris C

7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

And that may be the SADDEST post that I've ever read on this forum, thanks Sam for busting my balloon.

Chris C

8. bigtail

bigtail Senior Member

SamS,

Quick question:

No stereo audio out on the BDP-80?

Thanks,

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

So neither OPPO will play region 2 DVD's? The Cambridge Audio player does.

10. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie Thread Starter

It's worth mentioning that both SamS and myself are still assisting OPPO with the testing of this device. There are still firmware updates to be installed going forward. It is too soon to give you an absolute "yes" or "no" as to what the BDP-80 will ever be capable or not capable of doing. A region-free hack for BD and DVD may become available although I doubt OPPO will share such info. Google is your friend. If you are looking for dedicated stereo out, the BDP-83 would probably serve your needs better although that is not to say that the -80 can't undergo some surgery as most players can to an extent.

As for load times, the latest firmware we installed made it very quick in my opinion. BD of course takes the longest due to its massive storage (25-50GB) but CD, DVD, SACD and DVD-A load in approx. 3-5 seconds once the tray is closed.

For those of you who have a wireless network and are leaning towards purchasing the -80 or -83, here is the link to add the wireless bridge unit. There is still a $10 rebate offer available. It's a snap to install and again, it makes updating firmware so incredibly easy.

http://oppodigital.com/wireless-bridge-kit-WBK1/

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

It's important you have the proper expectations.

Shared with the 7.1 analog outputs.

Correct, neither OPPO will play R2 DVDs out of the box, or with a remote hack/code. If you want region free DVD and Blu-ray playback, you'll have to explore a hardware modification.

12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

My thanks to SamS and dbmay75 for sharing their insights on the Oppos here. Very much appreciated.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You're welcome :thumbsup:

One last note on 'region-hacks' and the like: you may come across ISO or other methods to change DVD region playback, or make it region free. Proceed at your own risk. I know of several specific instances where this has bricked the player.

If region-free is important to you, explore a hardware mod or look into the Momitsu Blu-ray player. Griping about OPPO not offering region free is about as helpful as being upset with Sony/Pioneer/Panasonic for the same reason. As OPPO has stated in the past, an easy region-free fix is no longer to be expected.

14. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

They don't make the Momitsu 899 anymore. It's turnrd out to be a better than my Panasonic 35 in every respect except it has a smallish remote window. The Momitsu 799 has worked out for me too. I've only used mine about 10 times so far. No problemas, si. It has a much better, easier menu than the 899. It also stays on the last Wee-jun setting you left it on, unlike the 899 that goes back to A/1 (BD/DVD) after each power-off. The 799 is HDMI only, well it also has Composite. It's a very little box.

I want an Oppo so I can save the 899, in my big system, just for my Wee-jun other discs that are locked. I'd like to try some Sack-Dee's via HDMI with an Oppo. I think anybody who wants Wee-jun emancipation should take a look at the 799.

15. The Oppo Blu-ray players are among the fastest. LG, PS3 and Oppo are the fastest I have seen and the differences between the 3 are insignificant. Early Blu-ray players other than the PS3 loaded painfully slow, especially with Java heavy discs. If you are concerned having seen an early player, don't be, the BDP-80 is going to be fast.

Chris

16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

OK, now I know for sure, I am glad I went with the Cambridge, more money but no need for any modifications. Thanks you Sam. :)

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The conversion of DSD to PCM for analog output is pretty much a non-issue, IMO. The sonic differences are practically imperceptible. And, if it's huge issue (or one thinks they *might* hear the difference) one is probably better off with the improved analog output quality of their more expensive models.

18. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

SACDs may be converted to PCM prior to D/A conversion on the BDP-80 but I'm sure this is also done on the BDP-83 if bass management or distance compensation is engaged.

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I would simply prefer a player that does not do this unnecessary conversion, so I appreciate the info. on the Oppo players.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Nothing wrong with having a preference, Keith. However, I don't think you should characterize it as 'unnecessary'. If the DAC in the unit does not support straight DSD to analog, then it's just impossible to do within the player. Sure, you could use other chips, but that adds cost, complexity, etc. And now you're right back the BDP-83 level.

You might be surprise at the the lack of difference between the the audio conversion methods. I encourage you to listen for yourself one day.

21. slammerjam

slammerjam Forum Resident

This player will probably replace my 980h.

22. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Looks like an excellent deal for <$300, would be nice to see Oppo generally available R2 for the UK market :)

23. Ashok

Ashok Forum Resident

DSD to PCM prior to D/A conversion - not too concerned about it.

But will the PCM signal be available on the co-axial or optical port? If I recall correctly, the BDP-83 will output PCM at 24 bit/ 88.2kHz after DSD to PCM conversion.

Thanks,

Ashok

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

There is no output from coax/optical jacks when playing a SACD on via the BDP-83 or BDP-80.

25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

There never can be on any player - unless encrypted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.