OPPO's BDP-80 Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A player - coming 1/25/10!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dbmay75, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max F

Max F Member

If this could stream Netflix it would be a slam dunk!

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Yes. $2000.

3. KeithH

So are we to assume that the Cambridge Audio player will be a rebadged Oppo?

4. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

1 Gb storage? That's something the 83 doesn't have... I think...

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

It would be more appropriate for me to suggest that one check the back panels/menus etc, and draw your own conclusion.

Yes, the BDP-83 has 1GB of onboard storage for BD-Live.

6. KeithH

We'll have to see if Cambridge Audio simply rebadges the Oppo or uses the template and makes certain modifications.

7. Wow! Now I am facing a real conundrum--BDP-83, BDP-83SE, or BDP-80? I am still waiting to see if Blu-ray is anything more than a "flash in the pan" before I purchase one, but for sure it will be an Oppo.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Don't wait too long. Blu-ray's already been around for 3.5 years. You're missing out on some extraordinary sound, video and capabilities (DNLA streaming for BDP-83).

9. Well, for now, my Oppo 980H is certainly tiding me over!

10. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

This is good news for my needs. I currently have two dual players (Samsung 5k in the HT; LG BH200 in the basement). If they ever die (or maybe sooner if I get itchy!) I'll replace the Samsung w/ an 83 (for presumably slightly better PQ on DVDs) and the LG w/ the 80 (because it's used on a smaller TV w/ no external sound system).

I'll be interested to read detailed comparisons of PQ and any possible HDMI glitches. For example, I currently have an Oppo 980 in the HT for DVDs and music; on SACDs it's silent for the first 5 seconds of the first SACD disc I insert. I know that's an HDMI issue between the Oppo and my Marantz AVR, and it would be nice to know if it's been solved w/ Oppo's BD players.

Doug

11. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

A few questions: Will it work with the wireless network I have set up on my Mac, or is it PC compatible only? Does it have a memory feature that allows it to restart a movie where you stopped it, even after taking the disc out? How quiet is the unit mechanically in operation?

The price certainly looks good considering the features.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The wireless features is an add-on accessory from OPPO. Out of the box, it has a standard ethernet port. Yes, it should work fine on Mac or PC networks.

Yes, it has resume for up to 5 discs (at least). Resume does not work on Blu-ray discs with Java (that's several!).

Unit is very quiet.

13. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Thanks. One more thing. Can you comment on SACD sound quality through the analog outputs?

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I think I'm supposed to wait until Monday (first units shipping).

15. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

No Anchor Bay/VRS upconversion and video processing for DVD & Blu-ray.

17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Good price point but I would rather have the BD83.

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Amen.

19. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

The BDp-80 does not upconvert DVDs to 1080?

20. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

I think it does, but not as well as the 83 does with the Anchor Bay processor.

21. everton

everton Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on the loading time? Oppo says that it is as fast as the BDP-83. I've never played with the 83, and so I have no frame of reference. I do have Oppo 981, whose loading time is acceptable. Thanks.

22. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

In a month or two when the budget permits, I'm gonna get an 80 or 83. That leaves me plenty of time to play eeny, miney, moe....

23. KeithH

Number one is a showstopper for me.

24. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Available in UK/Region2/B whatever?

25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

www.220-electronics.com might get this player available all region hacked with hardware, or you can buy a hardware kit on eBay to do this yourself, and on Oppos, there usually are remote control hacks for all region DVD, but the hardware hack is for playing Blu-Ray all region.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.