OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray player discussion thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by darkmatter, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Update to the latest firmware, it might help, should not hurt.

2. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

First off - I did not see in the firmware description anything about alleviating this problem. Secondly - it may hurt. The latest firmware (according to what I have read on AVS) evidently does not include the beta fix fix for SACD playback (the problem of ticks between tracks). I am wondering if it will erase this fix?
    Also the latest firmware allows you to increase the volume in increments for SACD playback. Good for some but bad for me. If I fix this I will then have no way to test if the player is doing a DSD-PCM conversion in the player (which I do not want).
    Someone please set me straight if I am wrong here...

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

It seems to me, that logically you are correct.

4. Tony Plachy

Rick, So you think the latest firmware could hurt SACD playback (I am not talking about the PCM-DSD indicator thing). :eek:

Sam, Does this seem right? I thought the firmware upgrades were always retroactive (i.e. included all of the previous fixes).

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The latest firmware does include the fix for the pop/clicks between SACD track boundaries. The original problem had to do with audio frame boundaries not matching up with track boundaries on some discs.

No.

There is no detrimental side effect to now having non-PCM converted DSD volume control. Just leave the volume at 100%. In fact, it's better like this, because if you 'accidently' knock it down <100% volume, you're still not converting to PCM.

6. A quick detour question:

What is the correct pronunciation of Oppo? Is the first "o" sound a "short "o" or a long "o"? In other words, is it "ah'-poe" or "oh'-poe"? I've always said "ah'-poe."

7. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Thanks for clarifying the the tic/pop firmware issue Sam. However, still confused about how to test if I'm getting an unwanted DSD-PCM conversion. The only way to make sure I am getting pure DSD from SACD's after installing this latest firmware is to remove my HDMI cable to the TV when playing an SACD. (I've got analog only to my preamp - no HDMI).

I always keep the volume coming out of the OPPO at 100% to ensure the "full (analog) signal" is getting to the preamp.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Just leave your TV off and you'll be fine, no DSD to PCM. You should notice no HDMI light on the front panel of the OPPO.

As a reminder, hooking up HDMI video with a Blu-ray/SACD will always result in DSD->PCM conversion if the TV makes an HDMI handshake withe the player. There's no way for any player to not change DSD to PCM once an non-DSD device is connected. In other words, the OPPO is not alone in this regard.

9. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff Thread Starter

I have always said "O'-poe" but that is just me! :)

10. Tony Plachy

I am an "oh-poe" man. :D

11. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

are you saying that my HDMI hook up (my only hook up) to my Yamaha RX-V663, with the BDP83 set to send DSD direct to the receiver is downconverting to PCM? Also the SAP in the oppo is set to off.

This doesn't seem right.

12. therockman

I have always said OH-POE! :nauga:

13. therockman

OH-POE-me!!!! :laugh:

14. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Ah po. Like in opposite.

15. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Ah-POO.

16. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Interesting...

Is this also the case - when just a single HDMI cable is attached to the Oppo and then to the receiver - with NO TV at all in the equation?

Reason I ask is that -I use my Oppo for audio only... and have it patched into my Pioneer VSX-23THX via HDMI. Am I getting pure DSD on SACD playback or is there a PCM conversion happening? COuld have swore I saw PCM lights on the VSX front panel....

Cheers!

VP

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Here are the four scenarios that I think cover the above questions:

1) OPPO HDMI to TV, analog to receiver: straight DSD as long as TV is off and/or there is no HDMI handshake to it.

2) OPPO HDMI to HDMI A/V receiver (DSD-capable), then HDMI to TV: Straight DSD even if TV is turned on.

3) OPPO HDMI to HDMI A/V receiver (PCM only), then HDMI to TV: PCM conversion of DSD.

4) OPPO HDMI to HDMI A/V receiver (DSD-capable), no TV connected via HDMI, straight DSD.

18. Right.

All of the video reviews of their players that I have encountered also pronounce it that way too. I am not discounting the possibility, however, that all the reviewers are wrong. :winkgrin:

For example, most people, including reviewers and dealers, pronounce Triangle as TRI-angle, but the correct pronunciation is TREE-ahng.

19. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

this is me.

20. Tony Plachy

That is because Triangle is a French company. What is OPPO? If you go to their website they always have it in all caps "OPPO". So maybe it is an acronym (Outstanding Products Publicly Offered :D :D :D). Inquiring minds want to know more about the name "OPPO". :winkgrin:

21. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Just call the OPPO toll free number to hear someone pronounce their name correctly.

22. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Oh poe is the correct pronunciation, so Nu Force told me. I had always said Ah poe and still have a hard time not saying it that way.

23. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Aupoo....dad, dad, dad... :laugh:

24. therockman

I call Oppo regularly, they always answer the phone"Oh-Poe." :sigh:

25. Well then, I guess that settles it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.