OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray player discussion thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by darkmatter, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This sounds like an HDMI handshake issue between your Oppo and your Integra. Report your problem to Oppo (and Onkyo, the parent company of Integra) so they can investigate and implement a firmware fix. These kinds of HDMI inconsistencies between different brands of electronics are very common (unfortunately) but they usually only require a firmware update to resolve (fortunately).

2. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

But this handshake issue doesn't exist when playing the same DVD-Audio, and audio-only DTS-CD & DTS-DVD discs on my Denon DVD-3930ci via HDMI into my Integra DHC 9.9, and since other Oppo BDP-83 owners have reported the problem, it is unlikely that it's being caused by my Integra DHC 9.9

3. markaudio

markaudio Forum Resident

I was experiencing random clicks and pops with SACD playback on my BDP-83. Installed the new firmware and have been listening to SACDs all day. No clicks and pops! Hurray!!
    I knew they'd eventually figure it out. Great sounding player.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

HDMI as a carrier is to blame here. Some combination of players/receivers will work better than others. Via analog, you will not experience the truncation.

Good to hear. The 'improvements' of SACD playback will continue via upcoming firmware.

5. With all due respect, I think you misunderstand the nature of the problem. The problem is a handshake issue between the Oppo and the Integra. It's not that anything is specifically "wrong" with the Oppo or the Integra, it's that their HDMI implementations just don't "like" each other for some reason. The fix can either be implemented in the Integra firmware or the Oppo firmware, depending on what the exact handshake issue is.

6. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

But Billy, I should have also noted that the problem between the Oppo BDP-83 & my Integra DHC 9.9 A/V processor is not present when playing CD or SACD. It is only present when playing DVD-Audio, and audio-only DTS-CD or DTS-DVD discs.

7. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

That is not true, it is an HDMI handshake issue specifically between the Integra and the Oppo.

8. I don't have either player so I can't really tell exactly what is at issue here. Because the beginnings of tracks are being cut off, it looks like a clock sync issue. That could definitely be an HDMI handshake problem.

Have you tried hooking up the Oppo to the Integra through S/PDIF? S/PDIF will pass DTS bitstreams (I'm not sure about encrypted DVD-A, though). Anyway, trying hooking them up through an S/PDIF connection. If the files play without a problem, then it is definitely an HDMI handshake issue.

See, the problem with different pieces of equipments' HDMI connections is that they do not always "play nice" with each other. There are too many variable parameters between different types of equipment and different brands for there to be any kind of universal consistency. That's why these problems are usually solved on an ad hoc basis. Depending on what exactly is the nature of the problem, a workaround can usually be implemented in firmware in either the receiver or the disc player. That's why I encouraged you to contact both Oppo and Onkyo.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The truncation is not likely to be resolved via OPPO or Onkyo. It's more a combination of the Silicon Image HDMI transmitters plus the MPEG decoder and a few other things along the chain.

It's not ideal, but the only way around it is to use analog. Just one of the tradeoffs of HDMI.

10. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Really though, it is only on the first track and if you hit the back button it will take you to the beginning. At least, that's what I did before switching to analog.

11. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Usually using the scan button to go back to the start of the first song will result in the first song playing intact, but this doesn't always resolve the problem. But I WILL admit, I knew about this reported problem with the BDP-83 before I purchased it.(It's not a figment of my imagination, and the fact that Oppo says they're presently "investigating" the problem means that they're aware of it).

I'm content to play my DVD-Audio, & audio-only DTS-CD & DTS-DVD discs on my Denon DVD-3930ci, and I can play my SACD's & Blu-Ray discs on the Oppo BDP-83(and play my DVD-Videos on either machine)

I will say this in favor of the Oppo: It does a visibly better job of converting PAL DVD's to American 1080p digital video than the Denon does.

12. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

And one other thing I should note. While my Denon DVD-3930ci establishes its' HDMI "handshake" with my A/V processor when the Denon DVd-3930ci is first turned on, and doesn't need to reestablish that handshake as long as the DVD-3930ci remains on, the Oppo BDP-83 must re-establish the HDMI handshake when the BDP-83 must search for materials on another part of the disc, I.E. after the opening logo & copyright warning, when the BDP-83 searches for the table of contents, or after you make a selection in the table of contents, and the unit searches for the selected chapter or function. It seems that this was an inherent design decision in the BDP-83, perhaps a design decision that made the unit's very low price possible.

13. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

Does this cause a major delay when exploring parts of the disc like the "DVD extras"? Is it annoying? If so, I can imagine it becoming it even more annoying over time. But maybe it's not like that.

14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

So my player seems to have developed an odd glitch, and I can't imagine why it would pop up now (I haven't loaded any new firmware or anything recently, for instance).

On about half of the DVDs (but not Blu-Rays) I've played in the past couple of weeks it won't let me select the audio option. I can scan up or down, but pressing the "enter" button does nothing. Of course, choosing the audio option from the disc menu works just fine, and if I just leave the selected option onscreen without pressing "enter", after a minute or so it just accepts that. I'm pretty sure it's not the remote control, as the "enter" button works fine for every other function. It's really only a minor nuisance but I can't help but worry that this might just be the first symptom of a problem down the road. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what might be causing this?

15. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

A lot of DVDS, especially older ones, would not let you select alternate audio from the "audio" button. Mostly if you wanted to switch from DD 5.1 to DTS, they would make you go through a screen to make sure you had a DTS capable setup.

This happened to me a couple of times in the last week. Problem's with the disc, not the player.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

New official firmware available today from OPPO for both the BDP-83 and BDP-83 Special Edition. Of note, you now have ability to adjust volume of the analog outputs in the DSD domain.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/bdp-83-firmware-50-0424.aspx

17. Jim in Houston

My player updated automatically when I went to load District 9 last night. I only run the HDMI out to my Yamaha RX-V663 so the alnalog out won't affect me. I never had any problems with SACD running DSD direct to the Yamaha.

18. Jim in Houston

Me again, Tried watching District 9 last night and the subtitles were off the screen. I just did a quick google and found that I need to set the "subtitle shift" to zero. It was also reccomended to reboot the 83 after a firmware update (this was from back in February).

Blu-Ray.com

Is there a way to reboot the player without unplugging it? and will I lose all my settings after a reboot?

Thanks

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

A "reboot" in this reference is just a turn off/on power cycle. This happens automatically as part of the firmware update.

A more extreme version would be the menu setting to "Restore Factory Defaults". This clears everything including all of your player settings. Not really necessary unless you are experiencing unexpected results.

20. Jim in Houston

Thanks Sam, so reboot wasn't the proper terminology.

21. therockman

Sam, should I install the new firmware. My machine is about 4 months old, and I have had no problems.

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I would not consider it absolutely necessary in your situation.

This will certainly not be the last official firmware for this device, and I'm sure future firmwares will contain even more fixes and stability.

23. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I finally picked up the BDP-83SE three weeks ago after OPPO fixed the SACD popping between tracks issue issue. I've been feeding it all kids of discs (Bluray, SACD, DVD-A, HDAD, DVD CD etc..) including all my reference discs. I've been pretty impressed so far, however I am getting random split second audio (no video) drop outs at least once on every bluray disc I feed it (does not happen on other media formats - just bluray). I can never recreate it if I rewind to the same spot. I'm just now listening to the Neil Young bluray box now and I just heard another drop out on the Live at the Riverboat disc. Odd..
    I've not updated to the firmware that came out yesterday, but did for the prior beta release. Any suggestions here? Anyone else have this problem? (The thread on AVS is too long to see if anyone else has the same problem)
    I'm also not too happy that they fixed the DSD volume control issue - its been the quick way I determine if I'm getting a DSD-PCM conversion.

24. therockman

Well, I finally upgraded my firmware. I had to, really. I tried to play the Blu Ray of THE IMAGINARIUM OF DOCTOR PARNASSUS, and it would not play at all. I tried everything to get this disc to play, and it just would not play. I called Oppo, they suggested that I upgrade the firmware, and that did it. I put the disc in and it played very easily.

25. Jim in Houston

better than buying a new one, huh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.