OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray player discussion thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by darkmatter, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

This is true!

2. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

I did some searching, but didn't see my particular issue addressed. I currently have an Oppo 983 that I use for SACD/DVD-A. For Blu-Ray, I use my PS3.

My question is: Is the Oppo 83 a good enough upgrade for SACD and DVD-A to justify the cost? I could probably sell my 983 to defray some of the cost, but don't want to do it unless it is worth it.

Thanks!

J R

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I owned the DV-983H at the same time as the BPD-83. The sound is improved, but it is not dramatic. Don't spend the $499 if you're just after a sound improvement, IMO. The real step-up comes from the SE model/version. That one would be a noticeable improvement over your DV-983H.

4. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

Deleted.....

5. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Have you compared the two, or are you assuming based on parts upgrade. Fair enough if your assuming. One would assume that better parts equates to better sound. So, with that thought in mind, if you're willing to take the chance, a modded stock 83 may be better than the SE version. I'm having Ric at EVS mod my new 83. He states that for the $175 he's charging for the Basic Mod, it will be better than a stock 83 ES. Apparently, he's performed the comparisons. Now, I realize he's also selling the upgrades, but many on this forum have spoken very highly of him and his work. I also understand he used to work for Audible Illusions, a preamp I have great respect for.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

7. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

Will the OPPO BDP-83 be upgradeable via firmware to handle 3D Blu-Ray? I know this is the case for the PS3.

By the way I saw a 3D demo at a Sony Store today. It was actually really good. Felt like I was looking through a window.

TV

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Extremely unlikely.

No one knows 'how' they're updating the PS3, and to 'what'. The 3D standard is not as well-defined as one might think.

9. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Excellent job with the review. I do recall seeing this. Now, if someone will compare the 83-SE to a stock 83 EVS modded unit. There are many companies performing mods, but for $175 at EVS, I'm reading that this basic mod by Ric outperforms the SE model at a savings of $200 over the SE price.

10. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Audio Enthusiast

HELP - No HDMI ouput

I had watched a Blu-Ray movie and turned the player off. About 15 minutes later I turn it back on and my Samsung tv says no signal. I try a few other Blu-Ray discs and nothing. I try some regular DVD's and nothing. I get a component cable and hook it up, change the source on the TV and I have signal. I switch back to HDMI and nothing. I then hook up a network cable and let the player run all the latest updates. I go back and still no HDMI signal. I try unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable back in and still no signal.

Any suggestions?

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Can you try a different HDMI cable? Also try a different HDMI input on your TV.

12. cakeordeath

cakeordeath Forum Resident

This has happened to me twice. Left it unplugged overnight both times and it worked again. I'll most likely be sending it in.

13. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Audio Enthusiast

Stand down - the crisis was no crisis at all but my in abililty to instantly assertain this issue was not the BDP-83 but my Onkyo HTR. Cycling it corrected the switching issue.

Sorry about that - we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Don't forget to try a factory reset. HDMI can be a nasty thing. One bad handshake from a connected device and it can become possessed.

15. cakeordeath

cakeordeath Forum Resident

I did a factory reset but made no difference. I go through a switcher - removed it from the chain - made no difference. My other HDMI sourced components worked fine.

16. Sam

Sam Senior Member

To all Oppo BDP-83 owners: I'm playing a cd and using the analog stereo outputs. The HDMI cable is also hooked to the tv. I notice the volume control on the remote is active. This happens if I have the TV on or off. Now, when I use the "Pure Audio" button and try the remote volume, sometimes it will just mute the sound. I'm confused. Anyone else have this problem. I really don't want to have the signal go through some remote volume control. Just want to go directly to my Audible Illusions preamp.

Also, question on the rear fan. Does it only go on after a certain temperature has been reached inside the unit? I've been playing mine (movies and cds) and it has not as of yet gone on.

17. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have the special edition, and I would like to know as well.

18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Is this a stock model, or has it been to EVS and back?

19. Sam

Sam Senior Member

EVS and back. I've left Ric a message and await his reply. Is this a result of the mod?

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The volume control is always active, even in Pure Audio mode.

Yes, the internal fan is temperature controlled.

21. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I posted this on another Oppo 83 thread, but I want maximum exposure for this question: Please tell me that, like most other equipment, that there is a break-in period for the Oppo BDP-83. I just began to evaluate my EVS modded Oppo, and the sound is somewhat forward and harsh on cd's that were smooth and warm on my old Sony. I can't believe that this is the sound that everyone raved about, so I'm thinking that there must be a break-in period. Have others experienced this?

22. You just got it modded, so it is not going to sound like the standard Oppo BDP-83. Maybe it has a brighter, more forward "hi-fi" type of sound than the unmodded Oppo. I don't think you can compare its sound to other people's observations of their stock BDP-83's. Make sense?

23. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Well, the question is whether or not most have experienced a break-in period. Second, with all due respect, if a modded unit is more forward and clearer when speaking of digital, that's a huge negative, not an upgrade. "Yep, with this mod, the sound will be even harsher and in your face." Would anyone want that type of mod? You consider that more "hi-fi?

24. Metralla

Best we use the other thread for your modified player.

25. Metralla

Thanks for posting that info. I must say, that's a very odd design choice.

"Pure Audio" mode - pure, as distinct from what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.