OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray player discussion thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by darkmatter, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

May want to post here instead.

2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I screwed something up and I'm not sure how to fix it. While fiddling around with the setup menu I must have inadvertently changed the video output to PAL which now leaves the screen blank. Ejecting the disc does nothing to the display and I can't seem to find a way to successfully reset back to NTSC.

Without having the screen to look at, the combination should be: "setup" to get the menu, one down to get "video setup", one right and three down to get "TV system", then one right and two up to get back to NTSC, no? That doesn't seem to have any effect, though. Is there a shortcut to reset?

3. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Never mind - fixed it. :hide:

4. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Anybody using the BDP-83 for audio only? No TV/monitor hooked up.

5. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

I use it for just audio.

6. 500Homeruns

How do you have it set up?

7. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

I just run out into my receiver from the Stereo Audio output.

8. 500Homeruns

And it's easy to navigate without a TV?

9. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

The only time I need to hook up a monitor is when I want to play digital songs from a USB memory stick. Otherwise I just insert a CD and press play like any other player.

10. 500Homeruns

Have you tried any Blu Ray Audio discs?

11. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

No I haven't. I'm probably not the typical user of this machine. It probably has many features I don't use. I bought it just as a quality, dependable, CD/SACD player. I seldom even use the remote control that came with it.

12. 500Homeruns

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.:)

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Do you use the remote to toggle from multi-channel to 2 channel for SACDs? I knew someone who had the same setup and didn't realize he was listening to SACDs in multi-channel mode through 2 speakers because he would just plop a disc in and press play. I don't think you can make this change without the remote.

14. doubleaapn

doubleaapn Forum Resident

Forgive me if I haven't read through all 1500+ entries on this thread looking for a similar inquiry, but I'm hoping someone may have a quick answer. My BDP-83 seems to have all of the sudden stopped being able to read DVD-Rs, although commercial discs work without a hitch. Could this be a "dirty laser lens" problem, or potentially something more substantial? If the former, are any of the commercial laser cleaners actually effective and non-damaging? I'd rather not dismantle the thing and start poking around to manually clean, nor would I prefer to send the machine back to Oppo unless necessary. Any help out there? Thanks kindly!

Aaron

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

16. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Thanks Sam!! Been a long time coming! :righton:

17. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Change log is in the Release notes section, no change to SACD-R:

1. Resolved a disc loading failure issue with the "X-Men: Days of Future Past (BD)" released by 20th Century Fox.Customers reported that after inserting the Blu-ray disc, the player would report "Wrong Disc" error and eject the disc. This is caused by the new "BD+" protocol (or Digital Rights Protection system) applied to this title which requires longer decryption time than the value allowed by the player. This firmware adjusted the decryption time and resolved this issue.

19. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

So, an upgrade to correct a problem with just one title?... Now that's impressive!...

20. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I think that one title messed with many players. My Momitsu 799 went straight to a screen that said to update your firmware when I inserted it. I ended up playing it in my Oppo 103. There's no new firmware for the Momitsu.... :realmad: I despise Fox.

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yep, basically. But it was a popular title that impacted a lot of owners. As a general rule, you should not expect any more firmware updates for the '80/83 players. Their decoder support has long since been stopped by MediaTek, so OPPO would be extremely limited in what they could do to correct any issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.