Opinions: Classic Records 200g "Blue Train" mono or stereo?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kudesai, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

The Classic mono vinyl is the best I've heard this title sound--pick it up. Fold down or not, you won't regret it. I also have the Classic stereo 45 RPM and a Blue Note (capitol, probably digital) stereo pressing. While the stereo 45 RPM is nice, the mono is better. Don't even bother with the Blue Note stereo.

2. kudesai

kudesai New Member Thread Starter

Could you give some details on the differences you hear between the mono and stereo Classic's?

Thanks

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Hmmm, so an LP cut at 33 1/3 from a master recorded from a folded down stereo feed on a less than optimal recorder is better than the 45rpm stereo version? Just curious, have you tried folding down the 45rpm to see if it sounds better than the mono LP?

4. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I'll have to listen to both and report back.

5. kudesai

kudesai New Member Thread Starter

So? :)

Has anyone else compared the Classic 200g to the MFSL cd?

6. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo

:eek: :confused:

7. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I've had the following and here's how they rank from best to worst:
    1. Classic 200g STEREO (big, dynamic sound, highly recommended!)
    2. Original Deep-Groove MONO (big, fat mono sound but lacking in the realism, depth and dead-quiet vinyl of the STEREO Classic)
    3. Liberty RVG cut STEREO (not bad but a bit distant, thin and lacking punch with the noisiest vinyl in the bunch)
    4. 180g STEREO Mastered By Capitol version from the 90's (warm and easy to listen to but veiled and dull compared to above)
    5. Ultimate Blue Train CD (a bit bright and thin but tolerable)
    6. STEREO SACD redbook layer (bright and compressed)

8. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I pre-ordered Blue Train - John Coltrane
    [Analogue Productions] 45 RPM (stereo)

I only have a regular CD version so I'm looking forward to it's release along with other titles from the series. I'm optimistic it will be the preferred release.

9. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I've just got to amend my list, #1 and #2 should switch places. The ranking was from memory of past comparisons where it was always stereo vs. stereo, I never went head-to-head with the mono vs. the stereo versions. Tonight I just listened to them back-to-back and the original mono has a much better tonal balance. The Classic can sound a bit synthetic and metallic in the top end while the deep-groove mono, although lacking the depth and super quiet vinyl, sounds more right and enjoyable across the board.

10. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Update: I finally got around to comparing the Classic 200 gm. mono 33 RPM and 200 gm. stereo 45 RPM. I listened to the stereo 45 with and without the mono switch on my phonostage activated. I also listened to the mono 33. Here are my impressions:

Classic 200 gm. Mono 33 RPM: This is still my favorite way to listen to this record. I just prefer Coltrane in the center and find the mix less distracting than the stereo. To me, a more relaxed mix and it just sounds right.

Classic 200 gm. stereo 45 RPM: I enjoyed this mix more than I remembered, just not as much as the mono mix. The sound is buttery smooth, and is without that last small amount of grain that can be heard on the 33 mono. I find this mix to be a bit distracting, with Coltrane mixed hard left. On the other hand, I found myself looking up a few times expecting to see a saxaphone player behind the left speaker, the saxophone sounded so real. The 45 RPM format is perfect for the stereo, as it is a great mix for hyper-critical listening, and I'll pull it out for just that now and then--with the mono 33 better suited for regular listening sessions.

Classic 200 gm. 45 RPM w/ mono switch activated (folded down): This was my least favorite listening experience. While the sound was still buttery smooth, the mix sounded a bit recessed and too much of the high frequencies seemed cut off--I definitely heard less highs than on the mono 33. I don't expect to listen this way too often.

11. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

You have an original deep groove mono!? DUDE!!!! awsome. What are those worth now? Like 3K?

12. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I found a (VG+ visual/NM playing) West 63rd/Inc. deep-groove mono copy for $40 a few years ago, worth maybe $100 today. A NM first pressing with no Inc. and the W.63rd./NewYork 23 labels might fetch $400 on a good day. This was a common title unlike Hank Mobley 1568 or Tina Brooks True Blue where only 500 copies were pressed.

13. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

Quick (stupid) question: I have one of the Classic 180g pressings. What indicates if it's the stereo or mono version? Something in the catalog #? Something incredibly obvious on the label? I didn't see anything at first glance. I can't say I've listened to it for more than a couple minutes at this point since I have other verisons of this album. Same question goes for the Cannonball Adderley's "Something Else". Thanks.

14. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Hi,

I would think you would want to wait for Acoustic Sounds' 45RPM Blue Train (in stereo) cut by Kevin and Steve.

That is almost guaranteed to be THE one to own IMO.

Joe

15. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

First, based upon the mixes it should be immediately apparent whether you are listening to a stereo or mono mix. Coltrane is mixed hard to the left on the stereo version. Nonetheless, I don't think Classic really started doing many Blue Note monos until they had switched to the 200 g formulation. Second, the stereo Blue Notes usually have a catalog number starting with "BST," rather than the "BLP" designation used for the monos. Third, Classic usually had a "Stereo" sticker on the outer bag of their Blue Note 180 g stereo releases. Check your record and cover, but my guess is that you probably have a stereo copy.

16. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

On the original LP's, the stereo LP's had a gold sticker that said "STEREO". The Classic Records edition does the same thing. Also the label is slightly different in that, IIRC, the mono label says "microgroove".

17. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

Thanks guys. I finally hooked one of my turntables back up after a 2 month absence and will give them a spin as far as the mixes go. The Adderley is a BST label, the Blue Train is a BLP. I'll probably sell the Adderley to fund the BN 45rpm and hang onto the Blue Train for comparison.

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Why don't you wait for the 45 RPM version we are about to cut for Acoustic Sounds? You might dig it.

19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It will be a stereo pressing, won't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.