Official Electric Miles Davis Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slapbass

slapbass Forum Resident

Yes, Decoy has some fine tracks. I love the title track, the long blues: "That's Right" and the two live tracks: "What It Is" and "That's What Happened." Agree, it's a great line-up with John Scofield, "The Munch" on bass, Al Foster and Branford Marsalis (Bill Evans on the live tracks). Pity Branford didn't take up Miles's offer to join the band.

I actually like a lot of The Man With The Horn, it has an interesting mix of tunes, and there are some fine musicians on it. Though I have to agree that Miles was not at his best.

2. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

3. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What is this version of "We Want Miles" that I picked up?

It has three additional tracks to those which are listed on the sleeve. It comes in a mini-lp gatefold sleeve, but it's smaller, about 75% of a normal mini-lp size.

The pics are the back of the mini-lp and disc 2.

Attached Files:

4. Looks like a misprint - as it is Disc 48 (not 18!) - from the Sony/Columbia box - The Complete Columbia Album Collection.

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Dates at bottom say 1982, 2009, 2011 Made in EU.

6. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

When the two lp set of Big Fun first came out, I was blown away by "Go Ahead John." At first the oscillating upbeat section grabbed me but over time the elegant and lyrical slow ballad section became my meat and potatoes, that duet with himself with such beautiful sound and line. . . really moves me to this day.

I think Miles was thinking about Clark Terry in this section.

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Though my parents owned jazz records that I even dug out and played myself, it was when I came back to the States from living in Africa and finding a musical anchor in the lps of Filles de Kilamanjaro, In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew that I found at the library that I explored Miles and his band-mates' recordings and discovered jazz as my musical life-blood. Bitches Brew really captured me immediately with its very African concept and it's electric blues underbelly and its exotic colors. . . when I had fully digested that I was completely ensnared by Miles Davis at Fillmore, which had the rock concert vibe, totally whack out there volleys of sound, and the hippest grooves I'd ever heard. From there it was absolutely essential to buy every release as they came out, and imports when I could. I can still remember some listening sessions in '74 at the University of Chicago, totally absorbed in On the Corner, In Concert and Get Up With It, feeling as if this music had slid over from an alternate universe or perhaps hopped down with a resounding thunderous impact from some future world of utter coolness.

This music has been the soundtrack of my American adult experience, I'll always reach for it.

9. evilcat

evilcat Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter

10. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Some of the titles above are hard to read, so here they are from a person who mentioned it to Jan:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.