Oasis - Definitely Maybe 30th Anniversary Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by VinylRichieUK, May 8, 2023.

1. VinylRichieUK

VinylRichieUK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Noel has said it's being released next year and will include recently unearthed tracks.

No announcement yet as to what formats we will get, but I hope this time they release the original mix and cover, the remaster is unlistenable.

I'd like a super deluxe edition with some live shows included, there's a lot of them, but I doubt that's what we'll get.

Dylan75, OasisBlur3, 9 Volt and 3 others like this.
  2. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Quote :I'd like a super deluxe edition with some live shows included, there's a lot of them, but I doubt that's what we'll get.

Yes, lets give us a box with liveshows.

3. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

Wow, 30 years old already. I remember buying this album back in 1994. I feel old..

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Me too. I saw Oasis just before the Supersonic single was released on 8th April 1994. The day that's in music history as the day Kurt Cobain's body was found. The news was breaking just as we set off out for the night. They were great. I saw them again in December 1994 and was bored rigid!

I still have the double vinyl of Definitely Maybe I bought back then, but don't have the Supersonic 12" anymore. I sold it when I got the CD with one more track.

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They might, what else can they do?

6. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Unless there is some great live stuff attached to this one, I think I'll pass. The original CD and the 2014 reissue give me what I need from this era.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. anthony_beat

anthony_beat Forum Resident

8. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

I heard KROQ's Rodney Bingenheimer play "Supersonic" in early March '94 but I didn't catch the band's name. For days I called KROQ but no one I spoke with could tell me who did that song. On the third day I finally got through to Rodney.

He told me that it was a new band from England called Oasis and the album hadn't been released yet but he had a cassette given to him by some record label that passed on signing them, and that’s what he was playing on the air. Thus began the wait for what would ultimately become one of my favorite albums.

Can't wait to hear those "unheard versions" Noel speaks of!

supernaut, JuanTCB, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  9. VinylRichieUK

I think some of the unheard versions are the recently posted tracks from Sawmills that are on youtube.

FJFP likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They'll probably be rubbish! As much as people moan about it, the sound they got with Owen Morris is a big part of their power. The earlier recordings that have been released sound comparatively puny and make them sound like an average indie band of the era. Perhaps they were underneath all the wall of guitars, compression and swagger, but it really works.

supernaut, FJFP and 9 Volt like this.
  11. Django

Django Forum Resident

It's almost finished but they "neeeed more tiiime"

FJFP, OasisBlur3 and Man at C&A like this.
  12. Cimrya Deal

Cimrya Deal Forum Resident

The 20th anniversary version of Definitely Maybe & Morning Glory were great. But they could have been better:
    -I was secretly hoping for better clarity and dynamic... Well... that's Oasis after all... So maybe this time? (But I'm not really counting on it)
    -CD 3 on both editions are pretty useless.
    -We need the original Slide Away mix. (why did they get rid of it in the first place?)
    -And the Some Might Say demo. It is a great track and way better than the one that was included earlier. (I'm just getting ahead)

Now for the unheard versions:
    The recording sessions for the album were a complet mess. They went from studio to studio never being satisfied with the results. Basically they recorded the album 2 or 3 times. So there are a lot of alternate tracks/mixes.

Live stuff? To be honest, as much as I love Oasis, they never were a really interesting live band. We had Live By The Sea, There & Then and Knebworth to cover the original lineup, that's more than enough!

13. darth caedus

darth caedus Do not be a magician - be magic!

14. darth caedus

Liam Gallagher announced a 2024 solo U.K. and Ireland tour on Monday, October 16, to celebrate the Definitely Maybe anniversary. Following the news, a fan asked Liam on social media about the potential involvement of his estranged brother and ex-bandmate, Noel Gallagher.

“He’s been asked and he’s refused,” Liam replied.

15. darth caedus

Let's just forget the will they / won't they Oasis reunion drama for a day and focus on the impending 30th anniversary of their Definitely Maybe album in 2024. It only seemed like yesterday the 25th anniversary reissue was giving fans another excuse to cough up, but leaving the page." data-wf-tooltip-position="bottom" data-wf-reset-every="90" style="position: relative; --inline-xray-tooltip-arrow-pseudo-marginleft: auto;">Noel Gallagher has now confirmed the 2024 reissue is going to have recordings previously thought lost to the sands of record company storage systems.

when Oasis did Definitely Maybe, the idea was we would do three takes of each track and then move on

"I found some master tapes with some cool stuff on it that’s going to be coming out," Noel revealed to Spin in a new interview. "It was in the Sony vault and was mislabeled. So, when Oasis did Definitely Maybe, the idea was we would do three takes of each track and then move on. I remember saying to somebody, so presumably, the master version, there’s another two versions, which weren’t chosen, right? They said, 'Yeah, but the master tapes had gone missing.' It turns out they have been with Sony for the last f*****g 30 years, mislabeled. I found them and there’s some interesting stuff on there. Now, we can sell the album for the fifth time all over again."

So effectively that's two other versions of the album's tracklisting in existence, allowing fans to compile their own custom version of the album when or if they do surface. But that's not the only classic Oasis album Noel is eyeing; he wants to remix their second record (What's The Story) Morning Glory. But don't hold out for the same treatment on the record many fans want him to rework – 1997's Be Here Now. Not beyond his admittedly excellent job on the 2016 'rethink' of its opening track anyway.

I’d like to remix Morning Glory because I hate the f*****g sound of that record

"Well, I did a remix of D’You Know What I Mean? and then the idea was to remix the whole album," Noel explained. "I don’t like the sound of it and the songs are too long. After working on it for a week, I was just like, you know what? What’s the f*****g point? D’You Know What I Mean? sounds great, but let’s leave it how it is. I’d like to remix Morning Glory because I hate the f*****g sound of that record. I guess I’ll get around to it one day if all the stars align. You never know."

16. darth caedus

17. ScottishStuart

ScottishStuart Stay Hard, Stay Hungry, Stay Alive

andrewskyDE, aravel and Man at C&A like this.
  18. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Be interesting to see what on the box set when it comes out

ScottishStuart likes this.
  19. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

“Supersonic” is a banger

20. VinylRichieUK

What box set? I was under the impression it was only the 2LP and CD being reissued.

21. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Maybe you are correct, but I thought Noel say he has found stuff to put out, so I just presumed it is a box set.

22. VinylRichieUK

Yeah he mentioned a few unearthed recordings, but my guess is that they'll be on a 2CD deluxe edition.

23. Nostalgist

Nostalgist The Great Stone Face

I wonder if it's going to sound like absolute compressed garbage like every pressing aside from the one Damon first pressing. I'm going to guess it will have the worst dynamic range and compression of all Definitely Maybe vinyl.

24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That was so weird when a small local store still had a box full of new Creation originals in 2004 that they sold for 20€ each. A friend and I went back there on a daily basis. We did that thrice until they realised they - probably - had made a mistake. :whistle:

andrewskyDE and FJFP like this.
  25. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

already bought the original, that special dvd package they did years ago, and the 20th Anniversary.
    how many more times does this need to be reissued??

i'd rather they continued how they did with the first 3 albums and do 2-3 cd reissues of the other ones
    they didn't get to yet

not gonna lie though, i am curious in what the track listing and contents will be for this