No new music for me in 2011

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pete Puma, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

While not promising to not buy anything this year, I did make the resolution to cut spending dramatically. There's only four discs in my Amazon cart now - been holding off for a few days.

2. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Maybe I will cut back in 2012.
    Or 2013.
    Or not.

3. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

You did. :winkgrin: C'mon, get back on, baby.

I'm still on it, though it's only a month-long wagonride in my case (I like achievable goals), with decisions to be made on February 1 as to what to do next.

4. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

One thing that is an absolute must IMO is disabling "one-click" in Amazon, if you use that. That can quickly lead to things getting out of control.

I have a few things sitting in the cart, just drifting there; it serves as a list of things to consider. After January I'll decide what of it is worth buying.

5. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

For me the root of all the problems with purchasing too much music is not listening to it. People seem to get more fun from actually finding something they like more than actually playing it.

Also, I have been amazed on this forum's thread what vinyl/cd have you bought lately, and some people list between 20-30 items they have purchased. THAT IS INSANE!

I constantly buy and cull LPs all the time, trade some in (more space now), buy some more (fill that space), because I do it this way I never have more than 15-20 LPs not shelved because I usually have it on the floor for listening to.

JG

6. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

LOL, 1-click gets me into trouble too. You just have to train yourself to channel your impulsiveness into the "Wish List", and choose your weekly quota from it. That seems to help me anyway...
    :winkgrin:

7. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

+1

One Click + Amazon Prime is the crack of e-commerce... :righton:

So far, so good.

8. eriejwg

eriejwg Active Member

My girlfriend has asked me to hold off on vinyl purchases for awhile. Can I help I want the hit mix, version, edit, length, ....

I commend you for your bravery in making it happen!

9. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

It may not be true for others, but I find it is almost as much fun to sell CDs (and DVDs too, for that matter) as it is to buy them. Especially if I can break even or make a little profit. It is especially easy to part with CDs if I have the vinyl. Today I sold an ECM jazz CD and a set of Veronica Mars DVDs. It makes me feel better about the two MoFi CDs I bought last month, too. Both the buying and the selling were satisfying.

I'm not making any kind of resolution to go cold turkey, but I have so many unlistened-to CDs in stacks here and there, even some LPs I bought ages ago still sealed, there aren't many titles I'm anxious to buy anymore. If I see something interesting for a buck plus shipping on amazon marketplace, it will be hard to resist. Other than that, I think I'll focus on quality instead of quantity this year. There are a few of MoFi releases that look interesting. Maybe some select classical titles.

10. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

You'll just have to buy everything you missed so why bother??:D:cheers:

11. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Yeah, so right after I make that little post about not having enough space, what happens?

I go down to Fayetteville, Arkansas to visit a friend, we're bored, I'm like, "Let's go to Hastings!"

Crap. Crap. Crap. I walked in, saw what they had on sale, and ended up blowing 153 bucks and some change about about 25 discs or so. There were some others that I needed but (luckily?) I wasn't aware of what they sounded like (SQ or music-wise) so I didn't get them.

:help: I need to somehow shelve these now.

12. nbakid2000

Uhhh...yeah...about that....

Mine's actually not working right now for some reason. Good for me? :angel:

13. You mean debate and argue about the quality of the pour etc....

;)

14. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I received 4 CDs in the mail today, and today being the fourth day of the new year, I still have over 10 CDs (including 3 SACDs) in the mail coming to me. :help:

15. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I would say that if exploring the collection in hand increases your love and enjoyment of music it's a good resolution. If you feel frustrated by it you should listen to your wife and kids.

I'm like you; I don't smoke or do drugs or gamble or golf or own a boat or buy nice cloths... Christ, I don't even own a car! There's nothing wrong with indulging my passion for music.

16. December was a bad month for me,box sets from Sandy Denny, Springsteen, The Who, Dead can Dance and 3 xDylan.
    The vinyl shelves are full, records spilling out over the floor so the resolution was no more for at least 6 months- then of course I noticed the pre orders for the Sparklehorse vinyl reissues and the new 16 Horsepower all due this month.
    Ah well, it was a very short 6 months and at least i almost have my cd buying under control, just those big 12"frisbies that i cant quit.

17. autodidact

Today I received the 60-CD box set of RCA Living Stereo reissues. Amazing set. Probably some opera in there I will find it difficult to get through. Certainly enough fantastic material to justify buying. But I just looked at that set, and the other box sets around here... who has the time to get through these? How will I have the time to get through my new CDs if I keep buying? Buying new music stops me from enjoying some of the classics I really want to enjoy again.

I have to join the OP. Really. Somebody stop me. Maybe if I focus my energy on needledropping it will distract me. :)

18. nbakid2000

Uh, yeah, I still have more stuff coming in the mail (Bob Welch, CKY, Jim Capaldi).

Still not happenin'....

19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I bought like a dozen things today. Just had to grab that last Panda Bear 7" before it disappears and skyrockets to $30-$40 like the previous two.

20. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`m mostly still catching up on listening to everything I bought last year.I`m getting rid of some doubles I ended up with then I`ll buy more new releases.

21. pscreed

So far so good... This is the first two weeks i have been through in at least ten years where i have bought zero new CDs... I have so much stuff to listen to it really is obscene. Stereophile R2D4 issue came today, felt a slight twinge but did not dive into Amazon and start firing off one-clicks.

Anybody else still on the wagon?

22. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

Hey,
    Why don't you increase the FOCUS of your collection by setting a pleasant game for yourself. Like, you can buy one piece of music for every TWO you sell.

This way you can still buy SOME music, but at the same time you will have to pick it more carefully, and you will gain space, and you can feel good about buying the music because you're actually working to control your collection.

And yes, a double LP means you have to sell 4 :)

ccm

23. autodidact

This is a good approach. And I am selling some. However, I'm not selling enough to offset what I've been buying. So, what I need is the record-buying equivalent of a chastity belt. :(

24. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I haven't bought any new music in 2011 yet. There's a Sam Cooke compilation that is tempting me though. Still I think I can wait until my March birthday.

25. pscreed

Yeah I have thought about that approach - and I think I can rationalize it if I really do accomplish a reduction in overall piece count... I'm somewhere north of 10,000 between CDs & LPs... which is ridiculous, and I don't think it is even close to some of the really heavy hitters on this forum ;)

Once upon a time I used to sell a bunch on Amazon and eBay both, but if I start up again I'll start here and see how it goes.

Wonder if the op is still on board?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.