NME: Jimi Hendrix's sister promises another decade of previously unreleased music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Such an idea is appalling. While Hendrix was quite "Experienced" with respect to drugs, it is known that he handled alcohol quite poorly,and that it caused the normally quiet Hendrix to turn violent.

2. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

She isn't even a blood relative; she was adopted by Jimi's father Al...

3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

That`s another thing about Hendrix and even others like Jim Morrison.They died so young and are remembered as 27 year olds.Most of us continue to mature and think differently past their age.(I`m an exception who is maturing in reverse Ha Ha!)
    I hope we have seen the last of Hendrix golf balls frozen dinners.:righton:

As far as his music being reissued next year,the only way I`d be happy is if they somehow made most of it available in 2010,Just release a massive anthology or box set series of all the studio outtakes and a box of the out of print/unreleased Live material. :nauga: otherwise I`m not too interested

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

That is an inaccurate characterization of the issue.

The non-appearance of the RAH material isn't because EH is simply waiting for the stars to align. Those recordings have been wrapped up in legal disputes since 1970. Mike Jeffery wasn't able to resolve them nor was Alan Douglas. Joe Boyd and Warner Bros were unable to use anything from Albert Hall for the A Film About Jimi Hendrix movie. Trust me, EH would have LOVED to release that material a decade ago.

Gold & Goldstein wanted complete artistic control of the footage. They wrangled with Warner Bros, Polydor, the Jimi Hendrix estate, the Mike Jeffery estate, etc. I don't understand why fans think they have been sitting on that stuff for years. Not that simple.

5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

4.When the cows overrun EH

6. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

But since this year, Janie Hendrix HAS been legally in the clear to (at least) release the audio from the Albert Hall shows. She postponed the release to get a more lucrative deal from Sony Music. The same reason why EH releases of previously unreleased Hendrix music to stores & online dealers have been halted for the past six years. Ah.....that's showbiz(or business in general)

7. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

And thats why I guess we have had these so-called grey area releases of this excellent gig, there were several parties claiming ownership, complicated further with different laws in different countries etc, and the losers in all this the fans, us. I just hope now we get a decent release!!

8. Chris M

You don't think it would take time to sort though a couple dozen hours of pro shot film and audio? There is WAY more footage than the 2/24 RAH show.

9. When you get the chance, Chris, I'd still LOVE to see that "fantasy Asix" tracklist that you put together. Or if you've already posted it, somebody point me in the right direction. (Didn't see it in this thread, though perhaps I've overlooked it.) Many thanks in advance.

10. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

I understand that. I am just thinking about this compared to 1995 when the Family first got control of the catalog. The first thing they did was re-release the core albums (understandably) and then as our first disc of unreleased goodies we got South Saturn Delta. Actually, there werent even that many previously unreleased tracks on there so maybe I shouldnt compare it to the new Career spanning disc thats coming out. Maybe the new disc will suprise us all, with new unheard stuff. Or maybe not. Regardless, I still wonder why they chose that AATW over any of the thousands of other tracks.

11. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

At that time EH was busy trying to make all core material available again.

Remember, most of the material has been unavailable at the time, thanks to Alan Douglas. Same guy who called Earth Blues "ridiculous" and Straight Ahead "f******g counter culture song". When asked about why those tracks aren't available anymore he answered "go listen to your f*****g old records, man".

I mean, c'mon!

12. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

The quality of the RAH gray area releases varies. Some are decent sounding, some are complete crap. I have a couple of these, the ones titled Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 and some others. IIRC, the one Eric Burden somehow released was supposed to be pretty good, but I have never heard that one. By now I think most fans just want to see the film on DVD with great sound and without the overlaid effects. And it looks like thats finally happening, which is great.

Speaking of Hendrix audio that has seen several gray area releases, has anyone ever done a comparison of all the Hendrix/Morrison jam Cds. I must have at least 4 different ones, but I've never went through the trouble of actually comparing any of them to each other as, well, it's not the greatest jam session out there. But it would be nice to know which one is most favored, if there is one.

13. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

THAT was the biggest mistake/insult to Jimi ever.........:realmad:

14. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

15. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

The one put out by DCC :shh:

16. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

From the original tape(s)?

17. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Even more appalling since wine MAY HAVE been administered "after the fact":shake:

18. http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=194704 ... :righton:

19. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

+1

:cheers:
    Cat

20. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

I should explain that I had a consulting role in the Charly label 3-CD Albert Hall release(the one with audience recordings on the 3rd disc), in that I verified that the recordings that they were including were actual Royal Albert Hall material.
    There had been a previous Charly release that inadvertantly used Berkeley & Winterland recordings that were owned by Experience Hendrix. I brought it to Charly's attention that this release was (mostly) not real Royal Albert Hall recordings. This set was withdrawn.
    As for the actual Royal Albert Hall recordings, they were licensed to Charly by one of the two filmmakers who produced the unreleased Royal Albert Hall film, and the estate of the other filmmaker. The Charly release is not a bootleg, though Experience Hendrix doesn't approve of it. Don't lump this in with the so-called "Mike Jeffrey Estate" releases on labels such as "Radioactive" & "Purple Haze". Those releases were ruled illegal by the UK courts.
    As for the Charly 3-CD set, It was their idea to include the disc 3 audience recordings, though I offered some ideas on what they should/could do with EQ to enhance them. I never bought the final released version(and they never sent me a copy), though I have CD-R's of the recordings as they stood before mastering.

21. Django

Django Forum Resident

The loudest sound will be the scraping of the bottom of the barrel.

22. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

or
    Which is it?
    The Charly has the best sounding tapes or they sound exactly the same?
    ---------------------
    Wish Castle would have released this on ceedee.

23. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Here My Money Train A Comin'

Ha,ha!
    -------
    Because Jimi has given soooo much too me, I'd like too give back a little marketing program to the estate:
    Night Flights or Night Jams or Night Vibes
    One CD w/one night/day's jamming.
    Ala Pearl Jam releasing every show on one tour (too beat the boots).
    I'd even ripoff the "PJ" packaging as well.
    EH could release one every month or two, for a total maybe of ten or twenty releases.
    EZ
    Quick too master. Quick too merchandise/package. Quick too release on Dagger.
    Priced for quick sale ($10-12US).
    No one complains about what is or isn't on the tape because it is the same as the tape.
    No one complains about source, cause there is only one source.
    No one complains about mastering, cause it a direct copy.
    # from like 1 to 5000 & done; download if you miss the physical media for $5US (or if you don't want CD).

Maybe too simple to get done. Oh, well!

How about ripping off The Beatles?!?!
    Mono Box!!! :laugh:
    -------------------
    Something delicious:
    Electric Ladyland Studios Box
    Just stuff from the at the time new studio in an LP sized box w/12"x12" booklet.

24. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I gotta tell you, so far the "studiosessions Vol 2" disk one has kicked some serious tale. The sound is fantastic, here's the track list:
    Voodoo Chile Records

11th February 1969
    1. It's Too Bad 11:12 (Jimi and Jim McCartny on
    guitars, Duane Hitching on
    Organ, Buddy Miles on drums.)

14th February 1969

2. Slow Version 4:57
    3. Ezy Rider/Star Spangled Banner 10:23
    4. Olympic Blues Jam 5:10

22nd February 1969
    5. Message To Love 2:37
    6. Gypsy Blood 1:25
    7. Valleys of Neptune (guitar) 4:04
    8. Valleys of Neptune (piano) 3:10

25th March 1969
    9. Jimi/Jimmy Jam 17:03 (Same as the 11th except
    with Dave Holland on Bass)

25. Chris M

That is some killer material. The JHE blast through Ezy Ryder kills for days. Hearing that was a real revelation. I should mention that all of the above material save for It's Too Bad is lifted directly from the official Dagger "Hear My Music" set. Dagger Records is the official bootleg label EH set up. It's Too Bad was released on the 4CD Purple box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.