NME: Jimi Hendrix's sister promises another decade of previously unreleased music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

"In great quality".

Are you serious?

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

If I were 13 years old, I might be excited by that photo. Is that who they are trying to appeal to with this guitar? It's really kind of sad. If Jimi were somehow able to post here, I imagine him quoting that image and following it up with a Captain Picard "face palm."

[/IMG][​IMG]

3. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Yes in 2008/2009 of course Chris, but they have been available for years, so I don't understand why every one can get that excited about having an EH Albert Hall release, when at best IMO they will probally sound worse to what we have already heard, I would rather get excited about something we have not heard !! :wave:

4. Maidenpriest

5. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I seriously doubt that an official Experience Hendrix Royal Albert Hall disc will sound worse than the glorified bootleg version.

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

The Beatles Esher demos have been available for years as well but that doesn't mean they are a legal release. The 2 Albert Hall songs on the Purple box sound amazing.

7. Maidenpriest

I have compared them to that release I linked and they sound exactly the same, as if they are from the same quality source ?

8. Chris M

Most people would consider the multitracks a good source. I know it's just an internet message board but you are sort of are expected to know what you are talking about. Especially when you post multiple times in the thread.

9. Maidenpriest

Mike it has only become a glorified bootleg in recent years, before then it was a legit release with the same quality control and sound quality of official releases, although i may add on some releases they edited and butchered it, thankfully not all of them:wave:

10. Doctor Flang

Eddie Kramer himself has been quite enthuastic about how good the forthcoming CD/DVD sounds. I don't know what you mean by "best sounding tapes" but the EH version is remixed from the multitracks.

11. Chris M

EH used the 2 track stereo master for those performances. Those 2 performances (Little Wing and Voodoo Child) were mixed for the 1971 In The West LP. Those LP mixes were used on the Purple box. Not sure what tape Charly used. Clearly a decent source but there is no reason to think they have better sources than EH.

12. Chris M

Right, a poor source of an edited audience tape (for the first show) has "the same quality control and sound quality of official releases" :D

13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

If the tracks from the 4CD purple box are anything to go on, the RAH disc is going to sound fabulous and hopefully not compressed - the latest EH releases are much better in that regard.

14. Maidenpriest

They may have the multitracks, but using there most recent releases as a guide I bet they muck it up so how, be it too compressed or too loud, i sincerly hope not and I am really looking forward to seeing the footage of Jimi before and after the concert which i have not seen (apart from backstage etc), I also really hope it stays true to the original film and we get those wacky 1960's pyschedelic effects, or at least have the option to view the original film on a bonus dvd, because that original film is a classic peice of Sixties film making, like for example Magical Mystery Tour!!

15. Chris M

There really isn't an original film. The boot video is a poor rough cut. I'm not sure when/how those effects were added but having stock footage of a wave breaking over the only footage of Jimi playing Little Wing ain't too cool.

Hear My Train from the Albert Hall boot video for the uninitiated. Up there with Berkeley IMO. Man, was Jimi's girlfriend hot or what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-q3UZ52Q84

This is VC (SR) from the much more obscure first show. Aud tape but it will give you an idea of the performance. First show was also pro shot and recorded to multitrack but only 1 song from the pro recording has surfaced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHIsuWfMYi4

16. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Berkeley and Isle of Wight are both very good - great tapes and not compressed as far as I remember. The early releases (especially First Rays) were not so good. I have high hopes for this set's sound.

17. Maidenpriest

I really, really hope so as well!!

18. Doctor Flang

The film is completely re-edited. And re-mixed. And believe it or not, it will sound and look better than the previous rough-edit film with rough-mix soundtrack.

19. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

This is one seriously smokin' set.
    I really hope they don't screw this one up!
    I am not a fan of all the film effects and hopefully they are gone........

20. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

When is this being released?

21. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

At Janie Hendrix's whim, I.E......
    1. When The Cows Come Home
    2. When Godot Arrives
    3. When Hell Freezes Over

22. Maidenpriest

I am looking forward to the remastered EH Red Wine:rolleyes::shake:

23. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Does anyone know if multitracks exist of the jam between Hendrix and Zappa? Dweezil stated on Rockline that he and Joe Travers searched for Miami Pop tapes in the Zappa vault and haven't found anything yet.

If this is ever found, I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the negotiations between Janie and Gail. :eek:

24. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Wow, Zappa and Hendrix jammed? Has Zappa ever talked about this in an interview or somewhere? I don't recall ever reading anything about this in any of his biographys.

25. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

He said it once in an interview. (I may have it on an MP3 somewhere.) He was either asked who the best musician that he had jammed with was or which musician he enjoyed jamming with the most. I don't quite recall.

He said, without hesitation, "Hendrix".

The usual army of Zappa forensic scientists determined that Miami Pop is where this occurred, but, alas, nobody seems to have any boots of it and Frank himself believed that no tapes existed of the performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.