NME: Jimi Hendrix's sister promises another decade of previously unreleased music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreatKingRat

GreatKingRat Well-Known Member

Hopefully they'll issue a decent version of Dance with Mitch on vocals which is only avialable on bootlegs from an acetate source. Presumably from the same session as Dream with Noel on vocals, that got a proper release on the EH Noel Redding collection after his death.

2. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Terrorist attacks, natural disasters, etc. tend to happen in highly populated areas.

3. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Or...
    we may have CD's we have trouble shouting over! :rolleyes:

4. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

EH's record w/video is pretty shoddy.
    I'll get excited after the releases have been reviewed.
    Mean while, I'm searching for pre-RE-1 Reprise ceedees.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Hey, what about the recent "Smash Hits"???
    Was that "smashing"?!?!?!

If EH can't get "SH" right...

5. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I know what you are saying, but when think about it, I can't point to a lot of let downs when it comes to Jimi -- think about the Morning Symphony Ideas release (and the suite itself in particular) . That may count as a let down to some, but it shows a side of Jimi that I hadn't seen before -- is it essential listening? Probably not, but I love it.

I believe there is a concert tape in the Black Gold Tapes that has the only known full version of 3rd Stone live -- just think how cool that would be.

I am optomistic ...

6. zippy

zippy Forum Resident

so does this mean there finally going to release the Albert Hall concert complete? or will they butcher it like the pervious releases?

7. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Yes. It will be digitally re-butchered.

Actually, it might be that the whole concert was recorded, but not every song was filmed. But don't quote me.

8. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I hope they choose the '50s.

9. jymy

jymy Senior Member

Well, if they release something every 18 months, it will take 7,5 years just to release the 3 Deluxe AYE, Axis, EL, BOG and Royal Albert Hall. Throw in a few Daggers abd 10 years passed. Hopefully this worst case scenario will not happen :)

10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I know,10 more years? I don`t mean to spoil the party,but forget it. I don`t even care anymore.:rolleyes:

11. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

I thought this was already in production by Experience Hendrix. Or was it all just speculation.

12. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Personally, I'd like to see box sets devoted to: Winterland '68 (complete audio), Royal Albert Hall '69 (complete audio and video), BOG Fillmore East '69-70 (complete audio and video), Berkeley Community Center (complete audio and video). A "complete radio broadcasts" box set compiling all known BBC recordings and other radio broadcasts would be nice too. While some would say that the Band of Gypsies has been done to death, it would be nice to get all four sets, complete and unedited.

I'd also like to see Electric Ladyland get a 5.1 surround mix. Does anyone know whether any Hendrix quad mixes were made? For some reason, I recall that Crash Landing was supposed to have been released in quad, but never did.

13. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Most of the Berkeley material wasn't filmed complete. It was filmed by student filmmakers who didn't have enough film.

14. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I know there are folk on this board who know more about this, but I'm pretty certain that some of these don't exist in their entirety.

So far as BoG is concerned, the available video is pretty much everything they put on the existing DVD release (at least as far as the 12/31/69 colour stuff is concerned). As for the multi-tracks for that run, they're still missing, AFAIK - the tracks used on the Fillmore East CD were taken from 1970 safety mixdowns.

A complete Berkeley is overdue, but I think Peter Pilafian didn't keep his video outtakes and the multi-tracks of the all-important First Show are apparently incomplete too.

There IS some great stuff waiting to be released (I'm still disappointed they didn't follow-up on their promise to get Albert Hall CD/DVD out this year), but I suspect the "core" catalogue is going to take up a sizeable chunk of the initial release timetable... again...

15. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Very overrated IMO (I have them) get the original WG Polydors. Especially since the WG Axis has the alternate mix.

16. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

I'm sure that Sony Music is well aware of the way that Experience Hendrix has been dragging their feet about releasing new material for the past half decade or more, and the Sony Music executives and attorneys aren't going to be had by Janie Hendrix. I'm sure that the new contract with Sony specifies that Janie has to deliver a specific quantity of unreleased material and on a reasonable, contractually specified timetable. Sony undoubtedly paid Experience Hendrix a substantial amount of money, and they won't stand by passively if Ms.Hendrix fails to deliver the goods.

17. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I am under impression that the multitracks are finally in the hands of EH.

The film negatives has been lost since early seventies. But the multitracks survive for both shows. Complete takes of every song except Foxey Lady, Machine Gun and Voodoo Child has been officially availabe at different times in one format or another. I don't know if any of those versions are incomplete.

18. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

And the cash continues to pour in to Janie Hendrix. Do you think she thanks her lucky stars every morning when she wakes up? Other than Lisa Presley, are there any other MAJOR deceased rock stars who only have one surviving heir?

19. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

To make things clear, I'm primarily interested in getting the complete audio, remixed from multitracks where possible. I view video as a bonus, but obviously I'd like to see all the available video footage included.

20. zippy

zippy Forum Resident

i believe buddy hollys wife is the only person who can give the nod to official releases

21. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Ah - thanks for that. It's promising from the point of view of completeness though, I have to admit, I love my Fillmore East set & would be sad to see it gone...

I may well have it wrong, but the official story I recall at the time of the release of the Berkeley late show release was that there were gaps in the multi's of the first show - I wonder if some of those released songs you mention were from two-track stereo reels instead of multi's? If so, are the two-tracks out there that could cover any such gaps? (if that is indeed the true story)

22. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

EH do have the multitracks. Janie did an interview earlier this year and said they unearthed them. They did a deal with Paul Allen.

I also am confident that RAH will be released.

23. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

The Gibson Hendrix guitars are a major disappointment. They're cheap guitar and amp sets. Imitation Strats. I was hoping they'd do a White SG custom since they've done flying V's. Piss poor effort.

24. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

AFAIK, Royal Albert Hall is still on schedule to be released by the end of the year, but maybe someone has inside info or insight into this that I've missed.

Supposedly there is a LOT of material that remains, but until it's actually announced most of the speculation is just that, idle speculation.

I'm more intrigued by the potential for properly remastered (HD) and never before seen video (for instance, the long hoped for Miami Concert if professionally filmed and multi-tracks exist, Randal Island, Atlanta Pop, etc.) and proper remastering of the entire music catalogue (CD, SACD or BD audio) with attention paid to the actual palpable quality of music rather than loudness (ala the recent Beatles catalogue, esp. mono).

:cheers:
    Cat

25. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

Don't forget, Janie is Jimi's HALF-sister, by marriage only. Too bad Leon (Jimi's brother) didn't have any pull within the EH camp. I think Janie manipulated Al Hendrix, enough to gain control of the legacy. I feel sorry for Jimi's blood relatives. They deserve their share of the wealth.

I don't know about "major" but just as important: Nick Drake's sister, Gabrielle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.