Nick Lowe-Labour of Lust reissue in '09?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anyone heard if Yep Rock has definate plans to reissue Nick Lowe's power pop classic Labour of Lust in 2009?They did an outstanding job with Jesus of Cool-would think Labour would naturally follow it.

2. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It appears the next Nick release will be a compilation.

3. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

Update-just got an email back from Glenn Dicker of Yep Rock records.He said they hope to get the Labour of Lust reissue out sometime in '09!:goodie:

4. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

A few months ago I found a promo white-label copy (Columbia) of Labour Of Lust - it looks & sounds like it was treated well. But it would be great if Yep Roc will reissue this as well. If bonus tracks are included I'll double-dip.

5. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

This is all very very great news!!!!!

6. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I listened to side one on Sunday night.

7. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

This is an absolutely essential Nick Lowe album! I will double-dip on this in a heartbeat as a companion to my ancient Columbia CD.

8. jricc

jricc Senior Member

This is great news, a new Nick compilation (as well as) Labour of Lust are long overdue. I hope there are lots of bonus tracks on Labour of Lust.

9. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Nice. I just started my Nick Lowe collection with the Yep Roc Jesus... Can't wait for more.

10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Labour Of Lust & Prouder and Pinker Than Previous would both be welcome!

11. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Even though Nick has had a couple of comps (and his boxset), this looks good due to the inclusion of Rockpile and Brinsley Schwarz stuff which has to be on there really it really rounds off the rest of the story.

12. cartoonist

cartoonist Forum Resident

Speaking of Rockpile, it's a shame that there was never an "official" release of a live Rockpile album from the Lowe and Edmunds tours since they were one of my favorite live bands.

"Labour of Lust" and "Jesus of Cool" are still my favorite Nick Lowe albums (although there were always some great tracks on his following albums too). I agree that Yep Roc did a really nice job on the reissue of "Jesus of Cool". If only all reissues were done as well as that one was (i.e. packaging, booklet, liner notes, bonus cuts, etc.)

13. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I have a WLP of Labour of Lust as well and my copy sounds terrible. The stock Columbia sounds better IMO.

14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Great news - I held off on purchasing the CBS for big bucks.

Hope this one is as good as the the last reissue

15. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I was lucky enough to score a used Demon CD issue a few years ago-I'd definitely love to see an expanded version of this one! I like it better than Jesus/Pure Pop-works better as a whole LP not as patchy (don't get me wrong-I love Jesus of Cool!)

16. Robertazimmerman

Robertazimmerman Member

Oh yeah! In their day, Rockpile could "out-rock" any band on the planet. Listening to a couple of their boots proves it.

R

17. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

wow. great news. can't wait - for both the compilation and labour of lust... and yeah, would love an official rockpile live album..saw them on a triple bill in 78 - w/costello and the attractions and mink deville - and they just blew the roof off the place

18. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Good news. I was making a needle-drop of Labour of Lust last night, then read a review on AllMusic, and discovered that my U.S. vinyl copy is missing the song "Endless Grey Ribbon".

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The UK on Radar sounds amazing. Was listening to it this morning.

20. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I need one of those. :agree:

21. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

The bonus material on Jesus could have been predicted by any Lowe fan, but how Labour is treated could be really interesting. There were only a couple of non-LP B-sides, and no outtakes have made the bootleg rounds. So maybe the bonus is a great Rockpile gig, circa 1978. They did plenty of live remotes, so there has to be a couple of pre-FM masters out there.

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yea, you gotta think any material in the vaults would've been out by now, especially on the box set. I agree, this could be interesting. I would hope there's no lingering animosity form 'Dafe' Edmunds that would lock up any live rockpile.

23. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

The breakup was that bad? :shake:

24. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

They attempted a reconciliation in 1990 when Dave produced Nick's 'Party of One' album (underated IMO), which (anecdotally) soured Dave on working with Nick again.

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Dave said in an interview that Nick was an a$$hle and he'd never work with him ever again. Yea, that sounds bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.