Nick Heyward and Haircut One Hundred

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by red corner, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

There's some pretty interesting finished outtakes from the second lp with Nick. No hit singles that I heard, but some good material. It'd be great to get some of that in great quality.

2. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Just in case this hasn't been posted yet...

Nick Heyward has been involved with a planned reissue program of his catalogue through Cherry Red Records. Starting with two releases planned for Oct 2010, the first being a 2CD Deluxe Edition of his debut album 'North of A Miracle'. This new edition includes all the relevant b-sides and mixes from the original singles and a previously unreleased concert recorded for Capital Radio on 7th November 1983 at London's Dominion Theatre. The second reissue is a 1CD Expanded Edition of his 1993 album 'From Monday To Sunday', which again includes all the original b-sides from the singles and 5 previously unreleased demos from early sessions for the album. These were produced by Haircut 100 producer Bob Sargent. These Editions have been personally overseen by Nick and includes notes from him and broadcast and friend Gary Crowley along with photos and lyrics in 16page booklets.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I hope this means the instrumental orchestral Paul Buckmaster tracks that appeared on 12" singles from North of A Miracle will finally make it to CD (and from the original tapes, not from vinyl)...

These two albums arguably represent the best of Nick Heyward, IMHO. The less said about the hideous album on Reprise that appeared between them, the better...

4. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Found tracks listed on Amazon UK...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Mirac...=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1287303066&sr=1-3

Disc 1:
    1. When It Started To Begin 3:50
    2. Blue Hat For A Blue Day 4:04
    3. Two Make It True 4:17
    4. On A Sunday 4:05
    5. Club Boy At Sea 3:50
    6. Whistle Down The Wind 3:40
    7. Take That Situation 3:18
    8. The Kick Of Love 4:34
    9. The Day It Rained Forever 4:33
    10. Atlantic Monday 5:10
    11. Don't Get Me Wrong 3:40
    12. Stolen Tears 3:03
    13. Café Canada 2:44
    14. Love At The Door 1:57

Disc 2:
    1. Take That Situation (Live) 3:18
    2. Two Make It True (Live) 4:18
    3. On A Sunday (Live) 4:19
    4. Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl) (Live) 3:41
    5. Milk Film (Live) 4:54
    6. Love Plus One (Live) 5:26
    7. Atlantic Monday (Live) 6:14
    8. More Than A Dream (Live) 3:43
    9. Fantastic Day (Live) 5:41
    10. Whistle Down The Wind (12" Version) 4:52
    11. Take That Situation (Rhythm Mix) 3:53
    12. Love Sublime On A Sunday 4:27
    13. Atlantic Monday (Early Full Version) 4:48
    14. When It Started To Begin (Re-Recorded) 3:48
    15. The Kick Of Love (Instrumental) 4:34
    16. Take That Situation (Instrumental) 3:19
    17. Whistle Down The Wind (Instrumental Reprise)

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

One track that's missing: The video mix of "On a Sunday", which has a longer playout than the LP version...Too bad...

6. spewey

spewey Senior Member

I'm reeeeally looking forward to hearing the bonus material on 'From Monday To Sunday'. A few years ago, I found the CD used for two dollars in Memphis and it's one of the best "bargain" albums I ever bought!

7. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Great news. Cheered up my Sunday no end.:righton: And I don't care if it's a needle drop either.

8. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

They've also missed the "Gathering Sticks On Sunday" demo which is on an old German compilation.

9. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Woke up this morning and popped in Pelican West. One of the best CDs to start the day with. Then I see this thread pop up again, it put a smile on my face.

Thanks for the heads up, I will be watching for these latest releases.

10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I've had this for a while and forgotten about it. I just pulled it up this morning and I'm on the 3rd go 'round - excellent tunes, great quality. Only the 1st 5 tracks have vocals by Nick, but some of those instrumentals are awesome!

This is the 2nd album that they were working on when Nick suddenly left the band...from listening to this, it would have been awesome.

"Half-Baked - The Lost Album"

You can listen to it here:

http://saltyka.blogspot.com/2009/01/haircut-100-haircut-one-hundred.html

Attached Files:

• 83b.jpg
      83b.jpg
      File size:
      84.6 KB
      Views:
  11. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Senior Member

I hope the mastering on the new North of a Miracle is good. I have the vinyl, but I would love a good sounding cd. I love Haircut 100 and Nick! I feel like I know every solo on Pelican West by heart. (singing along) (the trumpet solo from Baked Bean is in my head as I type this) The playing on that record is unbelievable; As an amateur drummer, I am humbled by their drumming and percussion. - And the whole band's interplay and call and response. Unreal.

Was Pelican west recorded digitally? Is this confirmed?

What's the best vinyl pressing?

12. ippudo

ippudo Forum Resident

I got the remaster this week and have done some A/B-ing tonight. There's quite a bit more detail, but it's annoying they've enhanced the bass so much, given it was a very dense and bass-heavy album in the first place. Actually, the treble is quite harsh too. This remaster is also A LOT louder than previous versions - the dynamics on the more upbeat tracks are badly squashed (I don't know how to do screenshots, but in Sonic Foundry tracks 1, 6 and 10 especially look fairly brickwalled, or at least heavily limited.) Under headphones the whole thing is quite an earbleeder, though it's just about bearable with some EQ-ing. I also noticed a glitch on "Whistle" around 1:18. Though not bad for a modern remaster, I feel this could have turned out a bit better, especially for a recording that bears the stamp of Geoff Emerick.

Has anyone else heard it yet?

13. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Many Thanks! Just picked up "Living In Oblivion - Volume 2" and it has the version I was looking for.

And it sounds great!

14. ippudo

ippudo Forum Resident

I've done some checks on the second disc and am really annoyed now. The extra studio tracks and 12" versions all sound vastly superior to any of the tracks from the main album - no discernible compression or limiting, no muddy bass or harsh treble, with the whole dynamic range intact.

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Anybody heard the re-issue of From Monday To Sunday? I was wondering about the "bonus" tracks, and mastering too...

16. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

>>>>>>>bump<<<<<<<

17. retrocool73

retrocool73 New Member

18. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

19. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

So, no-one's heard the re-issue From Monday To Sunday CD?

20. Hi
    Yes, an unofficial CD of the 12 inch versions by Haircut 100 exists.
    The quality is outstanding. I posted it on RateYourMusic
    http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/haircut_one_hundred
    as "The Complete 12" Collection".
    You can obtain it from Wes Holley, a sound engineer of CherryRed (!).
    Address: [email protected]
    Best, J.

jsayers likes this.
  21. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

Note: now that this thread has been pushed to the top, I note that Haircut 100 appear to be recording a new album!

22. Nick Heyward's rare recordings

Hi
    Being a newby I inadvertedly started a new thread: Nick Heyward's rare recordings.
    Please do take a look.
    Best, J.

23. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

I just wish Nick would have kept making solo recordings. His 90s albums were going from strength to strength, and then.......poof. Not sure what happened there.

I checked his myspace page every now and again and he was, IIRC, working on an instrumental album that had something to do with birds (and not the britslang variety). :confused::help:

24. Haircut 100 - Half-Baked : The Lost Album

Hallo everyone
    On http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/haircut_one_hundred
    I am conducting a battle royal over Haircut's second album.
    Because I realise I have not enough information on this album I have an urgent request for more information.
    I know the album was not officially released but I heard along the grapevine it did have a semi-official release. But I am not even sure whether it was originally released as a tape or a piece of vinyl.
    But I do know this album is pivotal; you can not even understand Haircut without this album.
    Intrigued I searched the Internet far and wide. I stumbled on
    http://bruisedfruitcds.com but they did not react to either my e-mail nor to the mails of my US friends. So I suspect Bruised Fruit CDs is out of business and simply a digital corpse.
    By accident I managed to contact Wes Holley who sold me the CD and it is magnificent!
    But I am still wrestling with the provenance. Any information would be most wellcome indeed! J.

25. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

If you mean the "unreleased 2nd album" :-

Brookfield Girl
    Haley's Heart
    I Believe In Sundays
    Sunny Boy Sunny Girl
    Club Boy At Sea
    Cheek To Cheek
    Maytime Moments
    Steambus Junction
    Blue Hat For A Blue Day
    Coming Home

then no,it was never released officially.Check your "inbox" though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.