Next Grateful Dead Road Trips: Denver 1973?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PetSounds, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I want something (SBD) that's either not out there or is a sonic upgrade. Whole shows if possible.

2. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

What's the release date for this? (i'm pretty excited for the bonus disc!)

3. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

It's meant to ship on May Day.

4. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

:agree:

5. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

they should have used the 11/20 WRS, a better version than 11/21, but overall looks like a good release

6. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

What phony dog-pooh? I mean what bonus disc?

-Mike

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Can't get enough '73 live Dead here. Plus the bonus disc ... happy camper.

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They have already released some:

2/14/68
    2/23/68 (Dick's Picks)
    3/17/68 (Download Series)

9. Phan71

Phan71 Forum Resident

Can anyone tell me how big of an upgrade, sound quality-wise, these releases tend to be over what's already circulating? I'm referring specifically to the SBDs that are already in circ.

Thanks.

10. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

I'm glad that they are making this stuff available in excellent quality. However...I feel that the $23.95 + S/H for one show (audio only) is b.s. That issue aside, why isn't there a d/l option for significantly less. I'll be passing (surprise-surprise!)

11. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

"Filling out Disc Three is a meaty triumvirate from 11/20 consisting of “Truckin’,” a typically convoluted and exciting “Other One,” and then a lovely “Stella Blue” that ends this Road Trips on a particularly poignant note.

As always, there is a CD booklet containing an essay about the show and period photos, and sonically this is certain to meet (or exceed) your expectations—once again it has been mastered to HDCD specs for maximum punch and clarity."

I am going to say that this will be a new transfer (hopefully) and should benefit from more modern equipment. I am not impressed/excited about the HDCD encoding, sort of old hat when taken in the context of higher rez audio. No word on whether they used the Clarity Process from Plangent Audio (http://www.triggertone.com/term/Clarity_Audio_Restoration_by_Plangent_Processes) which was used on the Winterland 1973 box and other projects. This would offer the biggest improvement, at least in 44.1/16 bit resolution. Reels suffer from speed issues in contrast to digital recordings which, despite their shortcomings (?) have absolute rock solid speed and pitch.

The Winterland 1973 transfers exist in 24/96 files as do many others. I am going to doubt that we will see any hi-rez audio Dead recordings anytime soon, at least from official sources. It would be no big deal to make them available as downloads. Until these types of files are made available, the upgrades from most circulating sources will be PERHAPS worthwhile....

12. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

there is no bonus disc....the bonus disc someone spoke of will only be going to people who subscribed back in Dec/January to the Road Trips subscription for 2011 ($100). It is not a part of any single release.

13. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

the upgrade for this release could represent a higher level of significance over other normal releases. 11/21 has only ever circulated in hissy quality with tons of cuts/issues.

Next, while the first set of 11/20 circulates in excellent quality (though none of it is on this release), the second set (this release's disc 3) has always been somewhat muddy, and it remains to be seen if the master reel exhibits the same problem.

14. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Well I would say eliminating a cassette generation (which is what circulates) and getting these directly off the reel masters is a sonic upgrade! :)

15. dr.zoix

dr.zoix Forum Resident

Jerry, I'm sure you know, All or 1973 is in circulation except for 3/15 & 12/10

16. JayB

JayB Senior Member

3/15 is not really out in SBD (only a small part) but 12/10 was released officially on the download series a few years ago.

12/10 is one of the weaker Dec. 73 shows though.

12/2, 12/18 & 12/19 are my favorites..

17. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

As the Dead use HDCD, it offers significantly better sound decoded than not, which is a mixed blessing. I don't know that the absolute improvement in sound from using HDCD is worth the degradation of the undecoded playback.

With regard to this release, though, if they get the speed/pitch right (most Fall '73 reels have been fast 1-1.5%, both official releases and the commonly circulating SMR>D versions), HDCD-decoded it should sound noticeably better than what circulates. I'm not so sure about the undecoded version.

18. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Just got this email:

Damn, I thought for sure we'd be getting the full suite of Dark Star>Eyes>Stella Blue but no. :shake:

19. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

This should have been part of this road trips.I definitely would have ordered this one.

20. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

Faithful Road Trips 2011 Subscribers...

As promised, your copy of Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 3: Denver '73 will ship this May with an exclusive Bonus Disc, featuring previously unreleased highlights from the 12/6/73 show in Cleveland, Ohio. Mastered in HDCD, this top-notch collection includes "China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider," "Dark Star," "Eyes of the World," and "Greatest Story Ever Told."

21. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Arghh,looks like I should have subcribed,huh?

22. John D.

John D. Senior Member

YES :edthumbs:

23. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Was listening to the 11/20 show, and was reminded that Phil's bass is in stereo! Listen to Truckin' at 9 minutes in for a cool 3 minute Phil/Billy duet before The Other One kicks in.

24. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I just received an email from Rhino. It suggests that the rest of this year's subscription is coming. I am sure that is not the case, but...

Thank you for ordering from Dead.net. Your order has been shipped. Please allow up to 12 days for delivery. Below are the details of your shipment.

ITEM QTY
    Road Trips 2011 Subscription 1
    Road Trips 2011 Subscription Bonus Disc 1
    Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 4 1
    Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 3 1
    Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 2 1
    Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 5 Subscription 1

25. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

Got the same thing. Now I need to watch that the credit card isn't billed twice. With these guys I usually don't even receive a ship notice until after I already have the product!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.