New Wilco album: Sky Blue Sky *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

To put this in perspective, has REM pushed beyond Automatic For The People? Up?

This is a fascinating thread, for sure. I am determined, however, not to listen to a single note of Sky Blue Sky until the double album arrives at my door.

2. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

I hear musical innovation all over this record. It may not be what you find exciting, but by golly it's there. In spades. Not to mention great joy and confidence from the musicians as they make this music. I not only hear it, I can feel it too.

I really don't want to argue with you, John, as much fun as I had on the R.E.M. thread. We're just going to have to agree to disagree. And give it some time. Tell you what -- if I like it less going forward, I'll make sure I let you know that you were on to something. And if you end up liking more with time, you let me know too. Just try not to let your initial disappointment with the record get in the way of hearing what these songs are trying to say.

3. bangsezmax

You meant to say, the White Album, right? :D

I've listened to Sgt. Pepper's probably about 30 or 40 times in it's entirety. Multiply that times 10 and you might get how many times I've listend to the White Album.

Does that make Abbey Road the equivalent of Sky Blue Sky? Certainly not Let It Be -- they were miserable then and it showed.

I happen to really like Abbey Road too!

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I don't want to argue with you, either. I feel like I picked up on the vibe of this record the first time I heard it. But the "I'm happy and in a good place" vibe is one of the hardest in the world for a rock musician to pull off successfully. I think that Dylan's Nashville Skyline is the one rock album that completely succeeds in treating that theme. On the other hand, as much as I want to believe in the portrait of happiness painted by John Lennon on Double Fantasy, it's just not a compelling record to me. I'm starting to feel that this new record is more Double Fantasy than Nashville Skyline. It's certainly not terrible - as Tweedy himself sings, "it's good enough for now," and there's no shame in that. I'll buy it on vinyl and probably buy the deluxe CD/DVD edition as well, and if Wilco come to Memphis or New Orleans this year, I'll go see them for the fifth or sixth time in the past few years. They're still the best live rock act in the business today, if you ask me. I just wish they had pushed themselves a little harder on this album - not necessarily by overdubbing a bunch of radio broadcasts and making Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Pt. 2, but I found Yankee Hotel Foxtrot to be so good that it raised the bar of what I expect from these guys. The last album came pretty close to reaching that bar, but this one doesn't. I wish I responded to it more, but I don't. As a matter of fact, I like it less and less the more I listen to it. I wish I liked it more and more, but I don't.

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I think I said this already, but Sky Blue Sky is like Get Back made by happy people who've stopped arguing with each other. Unfortunately, that has produced an album that is not much better than the Get Back that was made by unhappy people who were still arguing with each other. :(

6. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

No

:cry:

7. dude

dude Senior Member

I listened to the vinyl last night and have listened to the cd subsequently in the car and at home from afar. I will say sitting down with no distraction on a good stereo system seems to be almost required for this album. (actually as i'm writing this, the boombox is quite good!)
    There are production and recording techniques that I have never heard before and parts are just stunning. But there really is not much variance.

"Walken". The studio version is a major dissapointment. The tempo is not good and Glen should be playing ahead of the beat instead of dragging. It sounds like they were walking on eggshells which doesn't make sense after having played it live so much.

I think it's the first Wilco album I can say I actually like all the songs. But as an "album" or collection of songs, it can grow tiresome. It's almost too professional sounding and is in dire need of background vocals which is nothing new.

I think it's the least contrived sounding of all their albums. And certainly the least pretentious.

Tracks 5,6, and 7 make for quite a knockout punch. "Hate it Here" reminds me of stuff from the Let it Be album. I doubt there will be anything better this year.

8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

It's a lot easier when you can fire any band member who disagrees with you! ;)

9. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Jay Bennett's firing was Tweedy's decision but he was backed by John Stirratt, Glenn Kotche (no surprise here) and even LeRoy Bach, who had been brought to the band by Bennett. I don't want to start this discussion over again but it looks like Bennett was turning into a nuisance for everybody and nobody realized it until it was too late.

It was neither McCartney leaving the Beatles nor Bonehead leaving Oasis. A more valid model would be, for instance, King Crimson, a band that has survived many line up changes and musical styles but retained some kind of identity over the years. I'm sorry Ian McDonald left so early but "the band" recorded other valuable things after his stay...

10. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Woah JH that is wierd, the way people like to compare new Wilco release to the Beatles , I too thought if anything this is Tweedy's Double Fantasy. Although he already nicked a bit of the "Watching the Wheels" melody for "She's a Jar" some time back.

Not that its that slick, but for the most part Jeff like John had been much more of a restless soul his whole career, musical and otherwise. This record is comfortable sounding. You may never "know" a person, but all we as fans know based on external apperances is that Jeff has reached his commercial peak in these last few years, and garnered near unanimous critical approval, and is more stable and happier than years prior. Simply put he has stacked enough money from continual touring to send his two sons to good liberal arts schools down the line. God bless him, he has earned it. He has worked hard, toured like a mad man, and been involved with some of the finest records of the past 20 years.

About the record:

I find the the 1st 3rd of the record VERY GOOD. I like the SOUND of the album, the playing, and the songs. They let the music breathe. The middle of this record is a bit of a turd sandwhich, "Shake it Off" is complete ****. The worst thing I have ever heard, it sounds like a really bad Loose Fur outake.

I enjoy the finish of the record, "What Light" is appropriately light, "On and On" has a nice bit of creative tension that I enjoy.

I can see why the YHF era Wilco fans are a bit perplexed that this record doesn't go bleep , bleep, blop. I have tracked Tweedy long enough over the years to appreciate each release. Even if this is his slightest one.
    Enough to buy the vinyl anyhow.

Clay

To Chris' point some 6 pages and 2 months prior, seeing Jeff Tweedy solo is highly reccomended. Probably the most personally affecting live act out there. Absolutely riveting, bone chillingly good stuff. The first Wilco related show I ever made it to was a acoustic set of Tweedy/ Bennett in Northern California many years ago, still one of my favorite concert experiences.

11. Jose Jones

After Summerteeth, YHF, and Ghost, I've had my fill of bleep bleep blop. The quality of songs and the performances are what make or break an album, not the BS.....

12. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

Still didn't get mine yet, I'm kicking myself for jumping to order from their website so quickly, I thought the Vinyl plus a cd was a good deal (and I guess it is) then a few weeks later they announce the cd/dvd combo, now the bonus ep when purchased from an indie retailer. Lastly, release day has come and gone and I still don't have my copy.

compared to YEPROC who shipped Ian Hunter's Shrunken Heads to me a full 2 weeks early with an exclusive 3 song bonus disc, well to me thats the way to treat customers who order direct.

I broke down and ordered the cd/dvd + bonus from Newbury today and will probably keep my vinyl copy unopened and ebay it when it goes up in value.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Is there an LP version w/o the CD included?

14. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Finally got this yesterday, and after one listen, I really like it a lot. It's a very low key, laid back album, but the songs are IMO very good. I don't yet know how I'd rank it next to Ghost or YHF, but I do like it quite a bit, and I think it's a grower.

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I listened to this again last night, and I agree the beginning and the end of this album are pretty solid. The middle of the record - "Shake It Off," "Please Be Patient With Me," and "Side With the Seeds" - is an endurance test. I have to agree with Cassius's opinion of "Shake It Off" - what were they thinking when they put this on the album?

16. bangsezmax

I like "Shake it Off" now more than I did at first. Check out Glenn's power fills during the big riff, and then how easily he slides back into the groove afterwards. Great lyrics on that one too:

"Side With the Seeds" is quickly becoming one of my favorites -- Nels just rips on the end of that one. So does Glenn, for that matter. There's a video of this (I'm guessing from the DVD) posted on Amazon -- well worth checking out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/2808

"Please Be Patient With Me" is kind of unremarkable musically. But my wife really likes the lyric because she says it reminds her of me. :love:

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Listening again, I thought the first half of the album was more interesting than the second, which is pleasant enough but pretty ordinary. If the whole album was as good as "You Are My Face," "Impossible Germany" and "Side with the Seeds" it'd be more exciting.

18. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

John, Tweedy is asking you right there to be patient with him! He even said "please." Geez!! :D ;)

19. I feel your pain. Appears that I may end up purchasing at least a couple of versions. :sigh: I want to see the DVD now, based on the reviews here. However I already opted for the vinyl/CD set.
    Just spoke to local vinyl shop Melodiya Records. Managed to put the last copy of the LP set they have on hold.

What price are you folks paying in the U.S. for this? Melodiya is charging $31.99 CDN.

20. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

mine was waiting for me at home tonite, well packaged, perfect condition, looking forward to a listen later. those 180's are heavy man!

21. bangsezmax

Lucky you -- still waiting for mine.

I called MusicToday and they said it should be there soon.

I got a notice on Friday that it shipped from Virginia. Why should it take a week to get to NC?

Next time, I'm going to the local vinyl shop.

22. Jose Jones

Has anyone who pre-ordered theirs from the Wilco site received it yet?

23. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

I still haven't received mine.:realmad:

24. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Same here. :realmad:

25. scotto

scotto Senior Member

I'm still waiting as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.