New Wilco album: Sky Blue Sky *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I love the songs on "A Ghost Is Born" but I do not like the mastering (on the CD). Too harsh with too much high end for me.

2. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

When I got the vinyl of AGIB after listening to the CD for many months, it was almost like it was a different record. Much smoother and less glaringly bright.

Funny, because I had naturally assumed that the mastering "fit" the edginess of the music. I guess that wasn't necessarily the intent.

Tweedy was quoted recently as saying that the vinyl issues of this new record and the last two are the definitive versions in terms of sound.

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I only just got it yesterday -- thank you, Newbury Comics, and thanks for the indie-only CD bonus track! -- and I've only listened to it once, but I have high hopes for it. I supposed there were people who were disappointed hearing John Wesley Harding after Blonde on Blonde, but I'm sure a lot of them got over it after listening to JWH a few times. I have no opinion of it so far, but I'm looking forward to getting to know it.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I've been anxiously awaiting this album, even though I avoided listening to it streaming or other online sources. Will pick up either today or in the next few days.

Could you guys that get it from Target/WalMart/BestBuy/Circuit tell me if any place is running the DVD/CD combo on sale?

5. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

You can listen to their Prarie Home Companion performance from Saturday here: http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2007/05/12/

They do "Sky Blue Sky," "Muzzle of Bees" (still my fave song from AGIB), "What Light," "When the Roses Bloom Again," and "Hesitating Beauty."

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

My friend just told me that Best Buy has the deluxe DVD/CD combo for $22.99, apparently full price.

7. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Deluxe edition for $17.99 at Newbury Comics, plus you get a free 2-song disk.

8. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Buy it at your local independent seller (if you have one) and you should get the extra 2 song disc mentioned above. I picked up the deluxe version today and I agree with the earlier post that watching the DVD first is a great idea. "Shake It Off" is a wonderful 48 minute film about the creation of the album (filmed last November during rehearsals for the Thanksgiving shows) and features Jeff and the guys doing complete versions of many of the songs. It is beautifully filmed and recorded. Even casual Wilco fans should go for the deluxe version just to get this DVD. Very nice! :)

9. GabeG

GabeG New Member

There's nothing wrong with peaking at 0. It doesn't mean the cd was compressed.

10. j3brow

j3brow Forum Resident

SBS vinyl

I went to my local independent shop today to pick up the new Wilco. They carry a small arsenal of new vinyl. I was in luck. they had several copies on vinyl. To my surprise, the vinyl includes a copy of the entire album on cd. I figured the "bonus cd" listed on preorders would be a couple of outtakes! double album + cd for 17.99 :righton: So far, listened to the first 3 songs, and like what i have heard...as mentioned earlier 'Impossible Germany' is top notch. look forward to this one growing on me. too early for me to comment on sound between LP vs CD. both sounded good and very similar to my ears with the exception of level of course.

11. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

The question now is - since I have the vinyl coming in the mail (along with the bonus CD), do I purchase the DELUXE edition just to get the DVD? Is it really worth it (the DVD)?

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The DVD is pretty good, anamorphic 16x9. Has interviews with the band discussing the making of the album, as well as them rehearshing some of the songs. It's about 45min long. It is well directed, I would say pick it up if you're a fan.

13. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Checked a couple of the vinyl sellers in my area----they didn't get ANY! They're backordered!

14. Sean Murdock

I decided to, but only if I could get a good deal on the deluxe edition. (I figured I was already getting the CD for free, so...) Newbury Comics has the CD/DVD for $17.99, and it comes with an additional 2-track bonus CD:

(1) One True Vine (album outtake)
    (2) Theologians (live)

15. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I wonder if Wilco's decision to provide indie stores with the bonus tracks is why my Sunday Best Buy flyer didn't even mention the new Wilco release.

16. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Big Box doesn't even know what a Wilco is!

17. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

is there a list of stores that have the extra 2 song ep?

18. Sean Murdock

There used to be a "Coalition of Independent Music Retailers" website (don't know if that's the exact wording). You could google it and hopefully find a list of the places that would have it. (Wilco's website might even have a list.)

19. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

as usual, my big box didn't even have the release on the shelves when I walked in. I had to hunt around on their hand trucks/racks and find it myself -- even sold a copy to someone else who was looking for it.

Excellent record, excellent songs, great feel, above average sonics for these times. I am a Wilco hardcore, and while the DVD is nice to have, I don't feel it's essential. IMO it could have been expanded to it's benefit, so it felt more like a film, than a glorified EPK.

Nice to see Tweedy looking and sounding healthier and happier.

20. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Ok - I purchased the Deluxe Edition via Newbury Comics - since the price seems to be the best on the deluxe edition and it comes with that 2-track bonus CD.

21. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

22. Davey

Davey NP: Wayne Shorter ~ Speak No Evil (BN Classic LP)

Best to leave some headroom for the actual peak level between samples since it can increase by a couple dB or more at higher frequencies and lead to distortion in many players. But that would be in a perfect world. Hardly anyone cares about accounting for intersample peaking anymore, so as long as you don't spend a lot of room up at the ceiling, won't be much of a problem.

23. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

Just to throw my two-cents in (and make my first post here); I think this is a great record. And like most great records, it takes time for it to sink in and open up to the listener. I found “A Ghost is Born” to be the same way, but it took a lot longer for that record to sink in for me than this one did.
    It has a “Laurel Canyon” era sound to my ears. A great Sunday morning record…

24. scotto

scotto Senior Member

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I hardly think that one eBay seller looking for an idiot to buy something that he could just as easily buy direct from the Wilco website means that the vinyl is going to go out of print tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.