New Wilco album: Sky Blue Sky *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yes, I was initially disappointed in the studio version of "Impossible Germany" as well, but I think I see what they were going for on this album, and I think I understand why they reined it in. They support trading of the live shows, so we can download the live versions of "Impossible Germany," which, I agree, does turn into a Marquee Moon-like jam.

I do think that this record will get relatively bad reviews and perhaps even be judged a disappointment, because it does not continue the "progression" of the last two albums.

2. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Just got it (on CD).

One word: WOW!!

The record brings back qualities you don't expect to find in modern music: honesty and warmth.

It's true that with this line-up, they could have recorded the best prog-rock album or collection of studio jams of the decade but they recorded this instead. And it's great that way.

3. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

You know after reading your praise (and the lukewarm reviews in MOJO and Pitchfork) I am a bit scared. Warmth is not a bad thing, but I am not buying an Eagles record, I am here for Wilco. Being There and Summerteeth were almost confessional records, so what's with the honesty?
    And the reference to prog rock scares me. As if that would have been a good thing. But as I do not have it, I will keep my good spirits up.

4. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

A word on the deluxe edition...

Many "bonus" DVDs these days have been useless to me (I'm thinking of Neil Young's Fillmore bonus disc and the one on Living in the Material World).

But, the bonus DVD in the deluxe Sky Blue Sky was amazing. A fifty minute-film on the making of the album with COMPLETE live versions of many of the songs--very cool. I recommend watching the film before listening to the album, because it really helps the listener to understand why Tweedy is writing so differently this time around.

5. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

The more I listen to it, the more I think it's as good as anything they've ever done. I like Being There just and Summerteeth just fine, but this record is like walking outside on a gorgeous spring day. It gets inside you and stays there.

A couple weeks ago, my wife said "The first two songs are brilliant. The rest I'm not sure about." The next day she says, "Okay, the first three songs are brilliant." And so on to the next day, and now she's totally hooked. You have to give it time, but man does it reward repeat listening.

Get the record and listen to it at least a dozen times. If you can't find the appeal of it after that, then maybe it's just not for you. But I'd be shocked if you didn't fall in love with at least half of it. It's very different, but it's still Wilco, and Wilco in a really amazing, really musically confident place. Bloody brilliant.

P.S. I changed my avatar today in honor of it.

6. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

I love Wilco, have almost all of their stuff. I should have said: I do not have it "yet". I ordered the deluxe edition from Music-Wow for like 11 Euros or so! ;)
    I will report back, when I have it.

7. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I totally agree.

I also expect a lot of lukewarm reviews, because the band has changed gears once again.

Personally, I love the more direct lyric writing. One of the reasons I wasn't sold on A Ghost is Born was the cryptic lyrics ("Muzzle of Bees" anyone?). But, as Tweedy makes very clear in the bonus DVD, he really tried to communicate more directly this time out. And while some reviewers will accuse him of being trite, I see it as being simple and direct.

8. bangsezmax

It's fun watching the reviews try to play "spot the influence" because they're all over the map:

In one review:
    Rolling Stones, Beatles, Eagles, Rev. Gary Davis(!), Smokey Robinson, Robby Krieger, Harry Nillson, and Thin Lizzy (!)

Most thorough review (and the most honest, I think), is
    this one from popmatters.

9. bangsezmax

I expect a lot of lukewarm reviews because the record takes some repeated listenings to "get," something that's not always going to happen with a reviewer on a deadline.

I think a lot of people who like YHF are going to be put off by the lack of skronky noises.

Great Tweedy quote about that here:

10. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Personally, I mostly enjoyed YHF's skronk, but it's my favorite for the songs (and the overall sequencing). RE Tweedy's quote, I think it's worth realizing that what he describes isn't inconsistent, because he is now disapponting a second totally distinct section of fans. First Wilco shed a certain amount of UncleTupelo/BeingThere-centric fans, and now they'll lose a portion who really gravitated toward the eccentricities of the last two discs (how disappointed they must be in Mr. Cline).

When he makes another left turn in a couple of years, there will be a third subgroup of fans ready to sue Wilco for not sounding enough like Wilco!

But in terms of net fans, I'm guessing they've picked up more than they've lost. I'm one of the lucky ones who has generally liked each stage. Just discussed the selection of SBS' opener as an insight to the overall disc, and picked a dozen favorite moments from the album on the blog, if anyone's interested.

rcb

http://parenthetical.blog-city.com
    Last post: Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

My feelings about this record keep going back and forth. I do really like about half of the songs, but I am also disappointed that they pulled back from the sonic experimentation of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I would have liked to see them keep pushing their sound farther out, but I guess no rock band ever really does that.

12. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I love every phase has Wilco has gone through and this album is no exception. The songs have a depth one rarely finds in a rock record these days. While some fans may be put off by the direction Jeff and the guys have headed, it makes sense when you think of where they have come and everything he has been through personally over the last few years.

A question regarding the different versions of the set. Aside from the DVD in the deluxe edition, are there any outlets selling alternate sets with different bonus material? I plan on getting the deluxe edition tomorrow but was wondering if, for example, Target gets an extra song, etc.

13. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

When can those of us who pre-ordered the vinyl expect to receive it?

(I'm a bit cranky that some people get to listen to this somehow before the actual release date.....when the rest of us preorder it like good little fanboys....)

14. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

The complete album has been streaming on Wilco's site off and on since April. Two weeks ago, it started streaming full time.

15. bangsezmax

Well, I pre-ordered it, but they've been streaming the whole thing from wilcoworld.net pretty regularly. I don't think they're doing anything to stop p2p sharing of it.

This was the note that people on the Wilco mailing list got from Wilco HQ last week:

16. Invader Zim

Invader Zim A Progressive Blues Experiment

Love the album and can't wait to pick it up tomorrow morning. Wilco is one of those rare bands that never lets me down. :thumbsup:

17. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

People who buy the album on iTunes get an outtake, "Let's Not Get Carried Away". I assume that sooner or later, the band will make this available to anyone who bought the disc. Also another outtake ("One True Vine") is on a Nonesuch sampler that some indie stores have had in conjunction with the release.

On a side note in case it wasn't mentioned here already, they're webcasting two shows this weekend from London, but one of the webcasts is only available to hard-copy buyers who put the disc in their computer, follow the link, etc. Neat reverse twist on the online bonus routine.

rcb

http://parenthetical.blog-city.com
    Last post: Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

18. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

It's also the B-side on the UK (and apparently Spanish, as it's given in the Fnac shops in Spain as a bonus for the album) "What Light" 7-inch single.

19. sonick

sonick Forum Resident

Listening to it now, on the third track 'impossible germany'... I really like it!

Previous Wilco albums never really grabbed me like Sky Blue Sky has. A Ghost is Born was too mellow, Summerteeth/YHF was pretty good, but Sky Blue Sky has really gotten my attention just listening to the first 3 tracks. Impossible Germany is awesome.

Is it just me, or does anybody else hear a more than normal amount of hiss during the silences/quieter parts, especially in the slower song intro's.

20. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

I listened to most of it, dont know what I think yet. Theres some great chord usage, a few nice solos, good melodies, vocals, etc. However, I'm a little put off by its thick atomospheric sound, and Edge(U2)-like guitar tones. I think if they went a little more minimalistic, I could enjoy it more. I mean, the core of the songs are solid...I just think theres too much embellishment. It would rock much more without that stuff.

21. Expanding Man

Expanding Man New Member

I think "SBS" is easily their very best effort, and, coming from a person who has adored "Summerteeth" and "YHF" since release, this is no elementary, "easy-to-win-me-over" task -- I thought these were never to be friggin' topped!

I pre-ordered the LP and cannot wait to hear it.

For those who few who *have* heard the CD or LP already, how is the sound?

22. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

On the CD, mastered by Bob Ludwig, all the tracks have a peak value of -0.1 or 0 dB. The dynamic range could have been better, as there seems to be some compression, on tracks such as "You Are My Face" in particular.

However, it's still very pleasant to listen to it. The louder parts are played with some restraint, so the compression might also come from the recording and mixing, not merely the mastering, as there's a definite 70's A.M. feel to the album. But the mastering could have been a little better and smells compromise. It's no ear-bleeder, for sure, just don't expect curves looking like Scarlett Johannsson's.

23. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I received a shipping confirmation on Thursday so very soon for those in the States I would expect. I'm in the UK so am not expecting it till the beginning of next week.

Tom

24. ivor

ivor Senior Member

That's kind of disappointing after A Ghost Is Born. I thought that disc sounded amazingly good.

25. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

I've just compared it with AGIB. Actually, AGIB works more in terms of dynamics, the old quiet/loud/quiet way (cf. "Spiders"). But each track peaks quite high anyway.

SBS is more compact, as an album and I guess that compression was applied with taste at the recording stage. So, don't worry, it still sounds like an album recorded on analog tape in a studio with almost no separation. And I'll take the vinyl as soon as I can get my hands on this....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.