New Wilco album: Sky Blue Sky *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reverber

reverber Senior Member

This album just grows and grows on me...
    I was kind of underwhelmed with it at first, but kept finding myself going back.
    I'm hooked.

Cody

2. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

My sentiments exactly... a real sleeper, but good for the long haul... 5*****

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Just spinning the vinyl of this again. It is one of the finest slabs of wax I have heard!

4. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

This record ranks with thier finest. Dare I say it's the best since Summerteeth.

5. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Great, great, great album. I was so disappointed in it the first couple of spins, and then it just grew on me.

6. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I love everthing Wilco's done so far. However, I would say Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is much better, if not their best. This one I would put maybe fourth.

7. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I'm completely incapable of ranking Wilco's albums. I find everything from Being There through SBS consistently brilliant. My favorite tends to be the one I'm listening to.

8. gueringray

gueringray Guy

For disclosure purposes, I will say that I think Wilco is probably my favorite band going right now...

However, I re-spun SBS the other night, and found myself with that huge goofy grin that comes with listening to great music. It is GREAT! I even said to my wife - "I forgot how much I like this record!"

I would agree with GRBL though too that ranking the albums is impossible - it changes so much and I find something to appreciate in each (OK, so maybe A.M. doesn't really rise to the top, but I do like to revisit it from time to time) when they are on my mind and in my head. To me, at different times each seems their best. I am so excited that I will soon be able to fill in the 2 I don't have on vinyl (here's hoping for a good mastering)!

9. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Me too. Can't wait for that.

10. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

thanks for this comment, and one Mr. Bill made about this one too, it got me to re-evaluate this cd that sort of glazed over me, and man, it's a great great record.

i may have to get this on vinyl.

11. vinyldisc

vinyldisc New Member

+1 gazillion wilco fan

one of the most refreshing artists / bands of recent times, imho.

i was going to attend the show at tip's but a friend had an emergency.
    gotta help friends.

12. Kid_Naitch

Kid_Naitch Forum Resident

As great as Wilco is on record, it's their live show that really makes me appreciate them. I've seen them three times in the past couple years and their current lineup is incredibly strong. I love Nels Cline's guitar work, and Tweedy is no slouch himself. They're the closest thing in terms of sonic power and skill to the E Street Band.

Oh, and, obviously, YHT is my preferred Wilco album. In fact, I'm gonna give it a spin right now...

13. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

This was my most anticipated new release of 2007 (I was literally counting the days), and I remember how totally underwhelmed and disappointed I was when I first listened to it (first 2 or 3 spins). After that it just started to grow on me. Now I think it's as fine an album as they've done (and they're one of my all-time facorite bands).

Definitely get the vinyl. The cd sounds good, but the vinyl is sublime. You'll never go back.

14. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Yes...excellent live band. They're all excellent musicians who really complement each other and play off each other.

15. tcj

tcj Senior Member

This is what I was telling people when this first came out - a lot of negative reactions using the "dad rock" quote from Pitchfork's review, and I just kept saying "give it some time, it will grow on you, I guarantee it." This may just be my very favorite Wilco album now, it has a perfect mix of everything I look for - great song writing, great musicians, and perfectly nuanced playing. I hate to pin it all on one guy, but I really think Nels did something special when he joined the band.

And I am EXTREMELY eager to get my hands on the Ashes Of American Flags DVD in a couple months. The trailer for that looks very promising.

Anyone else disappointed the band didn't release those special shows last year where they played everything they ever recorded? I really expected to see some kind of release of those.

16. Kid_Naitch

Kid_Naitch Forum Resident

That would make one heck of a boxed set. :righton: I know the band double-played some tracks. They could either weed those out (selecting the best versions) or go whole hog and just release each night in its entirety!

17. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.