New Wilco album: Sky Blue Sky *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Wilco is streaming their upcoming LP, Sky Blue Sky, right now at http://wilcoworld.net/sbs It started streaming at 10 CST and will going on until "the wee hours". Check it out.

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Very cool! Thanks for the message, Chris. I'm watching Jeff Tweedy's "Sunken Treasure" DVD as I write this! I'm really looking forward to "Sky Blue Sky."

3. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Cool. That is a great DVD. My girlfriend and I saw the Tweedy solo show in New Orleans. Possibly the best concert I've ever attended.

4. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

3 tracks leaked earlier this week. I think 2 of the 3 are great. I've seen them referred to as "Hummingbird"-lite on another message board. There may be something to that, but I really like "Hummingbird." :) In any event, I think the Ghost Is Born haters aren't going to like this album too much if these 3 tracks are representative.

5. serge

serge Forum Resident

please tell me it rocks! the last album was a snoozathon

6. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

I quite liked the last album although that one track with 10mins or so of distortion was really taking it too far.

7. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Thanks for letting us know. I'm about 4 songs in so far, and it sounds wonderful. Fairly mellow, so depending on what serge means by "rocks" he could be disappointed. "Impossible Germany" is soooooo good - great classic-rock vibe. Overall, Wilco sounds as Neil Young influenced as ever. Reminds me a lot of Being There so far.

Craig(VC).

8. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

what he said

9. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Did not hear the last Wilco album, but was a fan of various tracks on the albums from "Being There" through "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." This new record sounds very intriguing. It's more straightforward than I would expect, mellow and engaging. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

10. ubik333

ubik333 Active Member

My initial reaction is very positive!
    Solid songs and they seem to have integrated Nels Cline into the mix successfully this time. :righton:

Jerry

11. alanb

alanb Senior Member

hey cool - thanks chris-- saw tweedy on his own up here in Vancouver--it was a good night....

12. Merseyside

Merseyside New Member

Missed it. Is it closer to Ghost or Yankee?

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

No more streaming?

Saw Tweedy play last month in Dallas, great show! Very much looking forward to this new CD, thanks for the heads-up.

14. RicP

RicP All Digital. All The Time.

I only caught a little, but liked what I heard. Looking forward to the new album!

15. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Dang, I missed it.

16. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Well, the whole album has leaked, and it's pretty damn good. On first listen, it's a lot like the more accessible tracks on Ghost.

17. Bud Shaver

Bud Shaver New Member

I listened to a stream capture and enjoyed what I heard.

18. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Do you mean someone captured the stream and has started distributing it P2P? I figured someone might try to do that.

I merely enjoyed giving it a listen as it was streaming... It was surprisingly high quality for streaming audio, which gave me a pretty good idea of what the album might sound like on CD/LP (can only wish for high-res disc...).

Craig(VC).

19. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I didn't listen to the stream, so I can't compare the quality. The MP3 files floating around on the net sound like a direct rip of a CD.

20. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I've heard it as well. Definitely along the lines of Ghost.

21. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I'm not going to panic just yet.;)

22. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

I wouldn't worry, I don't hear a Ghost connection at all. Early favorite is Impossible Germany by a long shot but I am also really digging the more soulfull tracks. I'd really like to hear a vinyl announcement. :agree:

23. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

The new material they previewed a few months ago in Toronto sounded very good if I remember correctly. I agree with the poster who said that the 10 min. of distortion on "A Ghost..." was taking it too far. Otherwise, some good stuff on those last 2 discs!

24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Just listening to this now. The most impressive thing about Tweedy, to me, is his ability to take essentially rootsy music and push it in unexpected directions, instead of insisting it remain within traditional boundaries. The track "Side with the Seeds" seems emblematic of this -- the song takes an unexpected detour in the middle to something that practically sounds like prog. And this time around he and the band achieve a sense of adventure without using obvious experimental tactics like sound effects or atonal weirdness -- it's all about the writing and playing.

25. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Hope so. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.