New Update on Genesis 5.1 Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by World of Genesis, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Well, I did a quick rush through "A trick of the tail" (SACD/stereo) and I must say I appearently expected too much. From the first listen to me it sounds very much "in your face" and slightly strenuous when played too loud (which I did). :mad:
    The details are there but it lacks warmth and depth. A bit disappointing.
    But like I mentioned before it was just a quick rush and I had the volume up far too much.
    Haven't had time to take a look at the dvds or to compare "Trick" to my Atco-version yet.
    Achim

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Exactly what I was expecting. :shake: Too bad.

3. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

Well, with the volume up too high, one might expect that to happen.

4. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Not with my black triangle of Peter Gabriel's "So" the other night. There is no reason that "cranked up" should be fatiguing unless there's too much compression.

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Especially when it's pretty compressed. Then add the somewhat harsh sound of the SSL EQ. :)

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Comparing it to the original might not yield positive results as the new ones are stereo remixes. It will no doubt be very different.

7. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

That's right. There's plenty of stuff I can play at high volumes that sounds completely natural and doesn't bother my ears at all. Sometimes so much so that I don't realize how loud it is. :winkgrin:

8. Abacab

Abacab Forum Resident

The best I can come up with until I get mine is: hum....I hope some positive reviews come in.

9. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Exactly !
    The DVD parts sound more decent (I tried "One for the vine" and "Eleventh Earl of Mar" from "Wind and wuthering"). This goes for the dts modus only. Less loud and fatiguing.

Achim

10. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

i have a feeling, just a gut, but i think with the number of responses in this thread already that there will be an absolutely HUGE amount of varying opinions on the sq of this set. im gonna get the popcorn ready so i can sit back and watch.....

i really want this one, but wouldnt even think about it until the wealth of knowledge here has been unleashed!

11. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I know they're remixes. But nevertheless you can compare the sonics in terms of if the sound is getting on your nerves or not. I did that with two songs from "Wind and wuthering" (DE vs. SACD vs. DVD (dts))
    The DE sounded most decent followed by the DVD. The SACD is no winner here!
    The annoying sound of the SACD is not the result of remixing the songs but compressing them to death. :realmad:

Achim

12. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Are you comparing the SACD stereo to the DTS surround? In which case I would have to come to the conclusion that the stereo has that "modern" approach which to most of our very picky ears is less than optimal. The surround you are saying in the form of DTS is less grating.......therefore the SACD surround should be better than the DTS due to the higher resolution. This is what I ordered it for anyway. The previous remasters were good enough from a stereo standpoint IMO.

13. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

You don't know what you're mssing if you are living with those. At least they weren't compressed, but the no-noise is pretty heavy in a few cases.

14. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

Funny statement from the Genesis thread on quadraphonicquad.com:

"As we all know if the surround mix is done properly then the stereo version really doesn't matter anymore. In fact, the stereo mix may very well be done in the "modern" fashion to please the general public who being the unwashed heathen masses really want this sort of thing."

I guess this guy doesn't leave his house.

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

"This GUY" is actually a member here and has already posted in this thread. QQ is a surround forum, so his comments are not out of place, just as stereo is preferred here.

Oh, and I know he leaves his house cuz he came to check out my basement. ;)

16. RemarkablyInsincere

Ok, it's still an absurd statement.

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Well, there's plenty of those around. I won't dismiss any version of anything. I might prefer one over the other. There are plenty of surround mixes that blow, just as there are stereo mixes that suck.

18. RemarkablyInsincere

I agree... but the point is a great 5.1 mix doesn't negate the need for a stereo mix.

For crying out loud, there are people here that prefer mono vs. stereo versions of stuff.

The fact is... pretty much everything in the last 40 years was recorded and mixed with stereo in mind... everything else, while it might be nice, is revisionist history.

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yep. Many of us prefer some mono versions of stuff. We're odd.

20. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Not me. I want mine on a wire recording.

21. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

classic..............

i should use this, giving you credit of course for my signature, absolutely priceless.......:righton:

22. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Well, you are quoting me and I stick by it with my tongue placed firmly in....you know.... I do all my serious music listening on my main system which is a surround music system. It also does stereo quite adequately. In fact lately I have been listening to mainly Neil Young 96/24 stereo recordings most of which IMO are excellently done. However, I have most of the Genesis titles in albums and CD's (originals and remasters) and I actually began listening to them when "Selling England By The Pound" was released. The stereo has been done to death. I want something new and vibrant that uses the capabilities of multi-channel to it's fullest to make these something new. I don't care for more stereo remasters.

23. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

If your intent is to listen in surround, then the stereo mix is indeed pointless. There is no need to mock or put down anothers opinion, especially when someone is speaking surround on a surround forum.

Geez, there are so few surround non-classical/jazz releases coming out these days, leave the surround fans alone. :mad:

24. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Anyone else heard 'em? I'm basically interested in decent STEREO version of W&W and ATTWT as they sucked on all previous CDs while my old Trick of the Tail stays no matter what!

25. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I was quite satisfied with the previous remasters also except for some annoying brightness here and there.
    I don't have multichannel so I listen to the DVD-dts with two speakers only. The same goes for the SACD surround modus. I can listen to it but some parts are missing or very much in the background (of course ;) ). Nevertheless that's interesting for me because sometimes I can hear details that I don't realize when listening in stereo. So I listen to my SACDs that way every now and then but not too often, preferably with headphones.
    The SACD surround of "Squonk" and "Ripples" from "Trick" sounds a bit better that way but still not very decent.
    Achim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.