New Update on Genesis 5.1 Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by World of Genesis, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whotony

whotony Forum Resident

wow 250 at amazon for the box.

thats $50 a disc. sheesh

2. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

True -- here's the same segment as yours, rendered by Audition (bottom) . Not as shocking but still not hard to find differences -- even though in this case it's the same source.

I was taking issue with the word 'exactly'. My other issue is with extrapolating subjective sound quality from a waveform. Sure, we can see that the newer one (if the mp3 hasn't been futzed with somehow for web broadcast) is more compressed and thus will probably sound more...'loud' to some, 'present' to others', better' to some, an 'abomination' to others.

Attached Files:

3. dongle

dongle New Member

So what? I could post a picture of a cow, and claim it looks completely different.

Comparing three shots of three tracks in the same program with the same settings and describing what I see is perfectly valid. Posting one picture of something completely different doesn't "shock" me, rather it tells me nothing at all.

OK, obvious that only every third word of mine is getting through here. I've reached my limit for going back and quoting my own posts again. Go back and read them if you want to know what I'm saying here, if not just ignore me please.

4. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

5. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

Thanks Nick. I've ordered my box set of the SACD's from HMV Japan and am very psyched.

6. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

Crazy... I think from genesis-music.com it comes to around $180 with shipping to the US.

7. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Looks like Amazon can't decide whether it's NTSC or PAL. Maybe it's part one way and part the other. That's what they seem to be saying.

8. nick davis

nick davis Recording Engineer

to answer a previous question- i have not used noise reduction in these new mixes.
    i didn't have to as the multitracks were in pretty good condition . and also by muting tracks that weren't being used while mixing i found that the noise level was acceptable.
    you will notice that some sections are slighlty noisier than the 94 remasters.

9. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

that's a relief to hear- no NR!

I'm getting these for the 5.1 mixes and bonus SACD in the box set. Looking forward to these :righton:

10. Abacab

Abacab Forum Resident

I am very much looking forward to my box set but even more to the raging discussion that will follow on here. It may read trite, but thanks for taking the time to post on here Nick.

11. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

Genesis box set delivery date?

Well I sent a email to hmv.co.jp asking if my Genesis box set will be sent soon as I preordered on feb.03 and here is answer I got:

Greetings from HMV.co.jp,

Your order is to be dispatched on 2007/04/02.
    However, the arrival of the item may be delayed.
    In case we cannot obtain a copy through our suppliers, we will let you know via e-mail.
    If the item is unobtainable, we will cancel (delete) the item from your order.
    Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for shopping at HMV.co.jp.
    We look forward to your next visit to our website.

Well, I am having trouble with my patience and sure hope it ships on Apr.2.
    Has anyone else received a email yet that their's is shipping or please post when it does, thx.

12. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Product Description
    Lavish 2007 twelve disc box featuring the first five installments in the Genesis remaster campaign (each double disc installment is digitally remastered and features a Hybrid SACD + NTSC/Region 0 DVD), a 48 page case-bound book PLUS an exclusive bonus double disc set featuring an additional 13 non-album tracks (only available in this box)! This bonus double disc is also in the hybrid SACD plus PAL DVD format. The SACD features 13 remastered audio tracks on an SACD Hybrid disc which is playable on both normal CD and SACD 5.1 Surround players. The DVD features the same 13 audio tracks in DTS 5.1 Surround Sound plus two rare video extras including a music clip and an interview. From their Progressive Rock beginnings to their commercial superstardom, Genesis created some of the most challenging, creative and rewarding albums of their generation. This special edition not only offers bonus material, but also allows the listener to experience the album as never before! EMI.

13. SoonerCaniac

SoonerCaniac Forum Resident

Basically there will be no box set release containing an NTSC DVD for each album and a PAL DVD for the bonus DVD or vice-versa; it's either all NTSC or all PAL. Additionally, the product description at Amazon.com for the Asian boxset is copied exactly from the product description for the European box set. Someone forgot to change the second PAL reference to NTSC. . .that is all. This is also covered on page 22 of this thread. You'll notice at sites like BarnesandNoble and BestBuy (see list below) they are also selling the NTSC box set for the same price of $309.99. I have no idea why these stores are being told the box set is going to be that expensive. . .I am convinced there is some kind of miscommunication and the price will drop. CDUniverse is selling the Asian boxset for ~$150 as a comparison and the Genesis official shop at about $160-$170 depending on exchange rates.

Best,
    Josh

14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Good news... ca't wait to hear the new mixes :righton:

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I am puzzled as to why you are "having trouble with 'your' patience". The item isn't released until April 2 - and no store (on-line or otherwise) is shipping this item until then (I presume).

I have the item pre-ordered with hmv.co.jp also and will not worry about getting this item from them until April 2 comes and goes and their status doesn't look promising.

You have to be patient, at least until April 2. After that, you can have "trouble with your patience" if you like. :wave:

16. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

I can't remember if someone had posted in this same thread or a thread at another site but they said that as hmv lists in order of item that delivery date of Apr.2 was the estimated date you would receive the item. When I read that I had hopes that it would be in the mail soon. I am eagerly anticipating these releases and have never ordered from hmv so was just wondering if others are getting theirs yet. I have ordered from other internet sites (mostly from cd wow) and they do ship things before release date.

17. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Well, considering it's coming from Japan ...

Seriously, they ship EMS. As soon as they get it and send it to you, I find it is generally about 3 - 5 days to get it from Japan.

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well.... then the box sets should arrive by the end of next week. We'll see.:cool:

19. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

:) OK guys an' gals, it's happening, I got an e-mail today from HMV UK. My Box is Comin' In ! On its' merry way. :D

20. Abacab

Abacab Forum Resident

No e-mail from hmv.co.jp yet.

21. Dave D

Dave D Done!

22. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

23. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I got my box today......

Achim

24. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

Heads up: I just pre-ordered the NTSC Box from CD Uni for $140 shipped with Google checkout. NOT BAD...

25. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Play it, play it!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.