New Update on Genesis 5.1 Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by World of Genesis, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World of Genesis

World of Genesis Active Member Thread Starter

According to Nick Davis, the Genesis 5.1 reissues will be in the following formats:

Europe: SACD (hybrid) + DVD (PAL)
    North America: CD + DVD-V (NTSC)
    South America: SACD (hybrid) + DVD
    Japan/Asia: SACD (hybrid) + DVD (NTSC)

"The dvd will have dts and dolby digital 5.1 plus the single videos (of that album) plus new interviews with the band. The hybrid sacd will have cd stereo, high resolution stereo and 5.1 mix. The albums will be sold seperately - except the extras disk - there will be a 'box ' for each release which will have all the albums in plus the extras disk set. There are territories which will have hybrid sacd and dvdv (ntsc) for those that are interested.
    The dvd is not region encoded."

2. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Maybe it's because it's early but I'm having a hard time figuring out what this means.

3. louder

louder New Member

Guess it means ordering imports for 2-channel SACD format; higher priced of course but hopefully, it'll be worth it.

4. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

It looks like it will be Japanese versions for me. It's a bitter disappointment that the US consumers will get the least attractive versions.

5. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

So am I right in thinking that the SACD + DVD packs will actually have the 5.1 mixes in two places -- one on the SACD and one on the DVD? That´d definitely be a reason for me to pick up the "box" version - to at least hear the 5.1 mixes. (As I once again curse the "%!$/"·%$(·"((·!&!$?! SACD copy protection.)

Geoff

6. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

According to my domestic music site here in Sweden, the specs say SACD + DVD-Audio.

Wouldn´t that be nice? Too good to be true maybe?

//Uffe

7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

What is with North America getting totally screwed on hi rez for domestic release. Yeah, the SACD with DVD(NTSC) would seem to be the only choice. What a drag.

8. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

What this means is that the U.S.A. doesn't get the surround sound mixes or any Hi-Rez audio.Rhino are being stupid.I'll buy one of the imported editions.I'm equiped to defeat regional coding and play PAL video(if neccessary)
    Without the surround sound mixes and hi-rez audio,there's no reason for anyone to buy the Rhino product.I'm equiped for both SACD & DVD-Audio,and so either one would be acceptable to me.

9. kevin

kevin Senior Member

We'll get the sourround sound mixes on the DVD-V.

10. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

I know that it says "North America" but in the past, haven't Canadian pressings been like their UK counterpart when it came to high-res titles?

11. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

i'd like to see the market report that resulted in this decision... must say that they don't sell enough SACDs in North America. (not that I'm complaining, mind)

12. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley Active Member

Thanks for the update.
    If anyone knows of a good online retailer in Japan that will be selling these, post a link here please.

13. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

If the Rhino American releases don't have the surround sound remixes,then the real culprit is America's high mechanical royalties,which require American labels to pay out 3 royalties per song/per disc on SACD or DVD-Audio surround sound discs.
    America's mechanical royalties system is also the obvious reason why Sony Music doesn't want 7 bonus tracks on a mid-price reissue,hence a UK-Only release for the upcoming expanded/remaster of "Electric Light Orchestra-Balance of Power".

14. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Depends on which label the artist appears on in Canada.
    The Canadian arm of the record companies don't press anything in hi-rez (numbers are too small); they import from the US (or the UK).

The only artist I can think of that is aligned with the UK rather than US record company is Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler. Their stuff is on Mercury (ie Universal) up here as opposed to Warners. Consequently Brothers in Arms is easy to find on SACD and never on DVD-A.

99% of the time the band appears on the same label as the US.
    So we get CD/DVD combos of Depeche Mode :)realmad:) and it will be the same with Genesis :(

15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

With all due respect, so what? That's worse than redbook cd quality.

16. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

Totally weak for the U.S. I just don't get the total stupidity in this decision. DVD-V's of music are worthless. I'll be importing the SACDs.

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Not true. CD Wow has the Depeche Mode SACD/DVD packs for under $20US.

Not a chance in hell
    North America gets surround on the DVD-V's.

18. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Is the sound of dvd-v that bad. I have many that sound excellent on my system.....

19. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Some US DVD players are capable of playing PAL encoded discs. As long as the DVDs aren't region coded as Nick Davis states, the UK versions will be usable on those players and CD Wow will probably have excellent prices on those.

20. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

The Extras disk? Is this different than the accompanying DVD with each of the albums? What is this exactly?

21. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident

And what's amazing it that it's often the $39 DVD players at places like Best Buy that will do this. Cyberhome brand, for example.

J. D.

22. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It depends. I've heard some lossy stuff that sounds better than some hi rez stuff. Really depends on mastering and stuff like that.

23. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

The extra disc is a cd of the b sides and rarities of that era......

24. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

Would hell freeze over before Warner Music (the chief backer of DVD-A) released an SACD?

25. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Big time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.