New Series The Walking Dead on AMC this Fall

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sbroache, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'm wondering if the arrival of the walkers at the camp and the disappearance of the redneck AND the van are related. I wonder if he brought the walkers to the camp as some kind of revenge?

2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I thought the same thing, initially. Then I started considering logistics, and don't think it would be plausible. 1) How does a one-handed dude grab a load of walkers and get them secured in the van while holding off additional walkers? 2) I don't believe there was anything separating the front of the van from the back, so how would the same one-handed guy create a structure to separate the two sections? 3) why would no one have heard the van upon approach?

Anyhoo, maybe I'm way over-thinking it. :righton:

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't think so. He would expect his brother to still be there, for one thing.

4. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

The scene with the 2 sisters as the one is dying after being bitten was riveting.....

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

They sure are moving the show along fast. Loved it when the door popped open at the end at the CDC.

Agree the sister dying was just heartbreaking...

The old guy is really growing on me..

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I thought last night's episode was the best yet. The scene where the woman has to shoot her Sister was terrific, as were the final scenes with that guy who got bitten and got the fever.

The stuff at the CDC, shown in previews for next week, looks interesting.

In Entertainment Weekly, there was some suggestion that the brother who cut off his hand would ultimately reappear as "The Guvner". (I haven't read the comics; so I can only infer who that is...)

7. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

I was surprised that the guy who was bitten appeared to be getting "zombie fever" (for lack of a better term). The reason for my surprise is the others seem to have no problem wearing clothes splattered in zombie blood, not to mention the "carrion coats" Rick and Glenn wore during their zombie walk a couple of episodes back.

8. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Man, that dude up against the tree should have had them shoot him. There is no way I would want to turn into one of those things. I too have wondered about the blood all over them, especially the girl holding her sister. I think they foreshadowed that she might have the virus somehow, maybe she just isn't showing symptoms or maybe she's immune or something. I think that CDC guy might turn sinister, he needs fresh brain tissue from a zombie so the odds are high he infects one of them.

9. agentalbert

I agree, but I don't think they should have left it up to him. How can they in good conscience leave him there to create one more deadly walker for anyone else to deal with? He could kill another human. They should have killed him.

Interesting. In the books, he isn't someone any of the characters know. But that could be a good way to bring him back. Creepy character indeed. The one character I know everyone who's read the books is waiting to see appear is "Michone". But I don't expect that character to appear until the next season.

10. agentalbert

I guess being covered in zombie blood is safe if you don't have any open wounds. But I wouldn't want to try it. Not to hard to imagine having a cut open somewhere, what with living in the woods and all.

11. Darabont has indicated that he isn't going to follow the books exactly so who knows.

Or maybe the walkers have to be "alive" to infect someone--the virus could die rapidly.

Then again, it's only a TV show.

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

But for a TV show to be any good, it needs to follow an internally consistent logic. Since the issue of blood getting on the living is going to recurrent, it should be explained one way or another. The virus dies quickly with the walker? OK. The virus has to find an open wound? OK. Just let me know what the rule is...

13. I agree that shows need to be internally consistent for viewers to buy it. Sometimes however stuff slips through the cracks and sometimes writers use a cheat and hope that the audience doesn't notice it.

Then again, it the writers might have thought it was "luck" or the audience bought it because they are the main characters and appealing.

I don't think there's a clear answer either way. I know I thought much the same thing so you're not alone but this might be a detail that never gets addressed.

It could be saliva rather than blood (although why doesn't make much sense from a biological point-of-view).

14. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

My understanding was there needs to be an open wound in order to be infected. That's the only way people have been infected thus far on the TV show.

Frank R.

15. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Quite a lot doesn't make sense here. My beef with the biological end of it is (for example), the dead girl in the last episode who had to be killed by her sister, apparently started breathing again. If your heart stops from blood loss and it takes a pulse for the lungs to operate, why/how was she breathing? I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but it seems no matter what kind of neurological issue your brain has dead or alive, without a pulse, you're body ain't gonna move except once or twice while rigormortis sets in. So any question of biology with zombies should start there. So it seems no one put the logical in biological. Still, I'm enjoying the show.

Note: If they only shot 6 episodes before being picked up for a second season, there would have been all sorts of plot ties that they would have left hanging had it been cancelled.

16. I play one on TV :agree: OK, maybe at home (but only with my wife...)

Seriously, I agree but there seems to be a lack of logic in most of these type of movies although you could argue that a virus could reanimate a boy if you died of blood loss your blood pressure would be so low that you couldn't move.

17. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

THE WALKING DEAD is set in and near Atlanta, GA if I'm not mistaken. The most unbelievable aspect to me so far is that so few people (except for the cops and the 'nursing home gang-bangers') seem to have any guns around. If the show were set in Illinois or California, this might seem a little more "realistic".

18. agentalbert

They haven't encountered that many people. Hasn't ever group of people we've seen so far been armed?

19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I think they wanted more episodes but they wanted the show to air before Halloween.

They renewed it after the first episode aired.

20. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

I have to say I'm enjoying TV Dale more than Comic Book Dale.

After 5 episodes it's strayed far more than I thought it would from the comic book, but I'm still enjoying the show quite a bit.

21. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I noted that Robert Kirkman actually wrote the last episode, but I haven't paid attention to the others... is he writing all of these?

As such, I'm good with all the differences to the comic because hey, at least it isn't some Hollywood idiot making the changes...

22. RDK

RDK Active Member

There are a lot of guns (though perhaps less ammo now since they've been shooting zombies for weeks). They do, however, try not to shoot because the sound of gunfire sends zombies running toward them. Like a dinner bell.

It's also much more aesthetically "interesting" to see zombies killed by bats, axes, pitchforks, and other sundry items than to have them be shot from a distance each time. ;)

23. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

If I turned into a zombie, there is no way I'd eat a living human being. I'd control myself. No offense to any of you all, but I'd much prefer a Porterhouse steak and a baked potato to a human arm.

If I turned into a zombie, right away I'd let you know I'm harmless. I'd say something to let you know I still have a human heart and decency. I might even say, "I'm trying to lose weight so I'll pass on the tibia for now."

Why is it impossible for a zombie to resist human flesh? Why can't a teenage zombie girl have anorexia? Her zombie friends would be jealous because she still looks good in leather while they walk around stuffed and clumsy. I wouldn't want this to get out of hand, however. After all, body image isn't everything.

24. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

Scary comments, but funny :)

25. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

Vegetarian Zombies!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.