New Series The Walking Dead on AMC this Fall

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sbroache, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The slow ones can lull you into thinking your safe. Next thing you know you're completely surrounded by a few hundred (or thousand) and trapped.

2. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I like the take in David Moody's Autumn books whereby the zombies dont actually eat you or pull you apart they are just lethal in their sheer numbers.

Essentially they come after you and if you get trapped you are smothered under a swarm of rotting flesh.

The other good thing about Moodys take is that after a while the zombies do rot down to nothing unlike anywhere else where they appear to stop rotting after a couple of weeks. They also become slightly self aware towards the end and actually become afraid of living humans.

Worth a look. Just avoid the really bad movie they made of the first book.

3. agentalbert

It's not really clear. The comics do make clear that Lori, Carl and Shane left for Atlanta planning to return in a few days or a week after the government had put down the zombies, and that there were still hospital staff caring for Rick when they left. We don't know precisely at what point the hospital was overrun and the remaining staff abandoned it or were killed.

4. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Does anyone know why the series is being shown back to back on the night of 11/07/10? Is this going to be two separate episodes or the same episode shown twice in a row?

5. agentalbert

Probably just the same episode twice in a row. Some stations do that.

6. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

DVR. I start my night watching Dexter, then Boardwalk, and now Walking Dead since Mad Men and Rubicon are done. I only watch Dexter in realtime and it's the only one my wife can stand (because Julia Stiles is on it).

7. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

It's funny, I feel like a little kid again. Sunday is going to be "Walking Dead night," just like when I was in elementary school and each night was reserved for special TV shows: Branded, Daniel Boone, World Of Disney and Kung Fu.

8. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

You have excellent taste.
    You have just listed the exact programs my wife and I watch on the weekend.

9. agentalbert

Is AMC really that bad? I watch on DVR and fast forward, but I didn't get the impression with Rubicon that commercial breaks were excessive. It seemed like they were less frequent than on regular network shows. Maybe they are worse with movies, but as they edit movies, who would want to watch one there anyway?

10. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

That's what AMC did with Mad Men in the same time slots (show it at 10:00pm, reshow it again at 11:00pm).

11. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I have a very low tolerance for commercials and may have exagerated a bit ''more like five minutes of commercials for every ten minutes of progamming'' that's still pretty bad.

I never watch network shows for the same reason, with all the options available to me i see no reason to bother, i'm not much for recording or fast forwarding through anything, so no DVR either, it's mostly TCM or DVD/Blu-Ray and occasionally HBO.

12. agentalbert

Great second episode. The actor they have playing Glenn looks exactly like he is drawn in the comic. Nice casting job there.

Jackson - I think I counted three commercial breaks for the episode. And not long ones either. For what that's worth.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

No, they are not really that bad. Pretty much average. Their breaks are typically 3-4 minutes long, and there are fewer of them than on some networks. Total ad time per hour is pretty much standard.

14. Yeah I noticed that the breaks were around 13-15 minutes into the program and were about 3 minutes or so long. I don't think it was any different than standard TV stations.

Good episode last night and good to see them tying things in so early to the other group.

15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I've stopped watching AMC a long time ago when they switched from showing some really great films, to more mediocre ones and still called them 'movie classics' and started sticking in all the commercial breaks. I never understood the concept for a cable channel that you're paying for and they still run commercials? With all the commercial revenue, the cable bill should be much less. :realmad:

For movies I just watch Turner Classic Movies. TCM today is what AMC used to be.

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm so bad with regular TV. I watched episode one and missed episode two. Is there some website like Hulu or something carrying it after the fact?

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Only the season premiere is being made available for streaming on Hulu, but the second episode will re-air on AMC on Friday night/Saturday morning at 10PM, 1AM, and 2:30AM.

It is also available PPV from iTunes, Amazon VOD, CinemaNow, Xbox, and Playstation.

18. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Nevermind, Ken filled in the details above far better than I did!

19. Well technically (at least in our area) we aren't paying for it--it's a part of the package. I suppose we are but not like, say, HBO.

If you miss an episode and realize it that night they also do an encore rerun of the episode they just ran from 11pm-12am.

Funny, I went to hulo looking for it and it wasn't listed at the time.

20. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Well yes, it's part of the cable package, but because there are commercials, I still don't understand why the cable bill has to be so high.

21. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

I'm looking for a few more excuses not to watch the show. So far it's just okay. The scene in Sundays show where the two are standing at the jewelry counter lightly discussing their likes and dislikes as the zombies are breaking through the doors in the background seemed ridiculous. It was nice to see the racist white guy actor on the roof get some work. I haven't seen him in the "exact same part" in quite awhile. (sarcasm)

I just read where it's already been renewed for a 13-episode second season. I hope things get a little tighter once everybody gets to know each other.

22. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Well I need to see this ASAP as I just got round to watching 28 Weeks Later.

What a total moronic travesty of a movie. Everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves.

Need some proper zombie goodness.

23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Great second episode.... Loved the organ donor humor and the killer Challenger.....

Show really has promise...

24. I've only seen them as illegal torrents online. AMC wants you to have cable, the same situation exists with Mad Men. See it when they air it, or buy the dvd next year.

25. found Walking Dead "locations" on Google!

Check this out guys, I found the building where they cuffed the redneck to a pipe.
    It's on Spring Street just north of Peters Street, near the GA Dome.

Incidentally, there is not a department store in the building, it's smaller than depicted in the show, and vacant. I drive by this building 2-3 times a week to have lunch with my Honey.

Picture from Google Earth.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.