New Rush Album - Snakes and Arrows *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StyxCollector, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

The producer said the new album has the vibe of an old Rush record, i.e.Hemispheres, 2112, I just hope he wasn't having a Bob Seger moment!

2. missedexit

missedexit New Member

A Bob Seger Moment?

3. Murph

Bob was recording an album in the same studio as the Who in 1982. Someone asked Bob to comment on the Who album, Bob said something to the effect that it was the greatest Who album he'd ever heard...What was the album? It's Hard. Ouch!

4. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles Thread Starter

I'll give Nick R. a chance here - he is a Rush fan himself, so I don't think he'd make the second coming of Presto (shudder).

5. missedexit

missedexit New Member

Didn't know that. Though I actually did like most of The Who's It's Hard.

6. missedexit

missedexit New Member

Presto will always be an important album/cd for me, still listen to it on a fairly regular basis. I am glad that each Rush release since has been different, each with it's strong points/merits. To me, Presto & Roll The Bones, Counterparts & Test For Echo explore different areas, and are extremely important to the Rush canon. Not bad for the 1990's!

7. I LOVE Presto and I like It's Hard a lot. Hmph . . .

8. Murph

No offense intented to the "Its Hard" fans....It's just not "Live at Leeds" IMHO

9. Analog Kid

Analog Kid New Member

Let me guess, the new Rush album was recorded and mixed entirely digitally? Bah. Count me out.

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The title track is one of Rush's very best.

11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Maybe you should try actually LISTENING to it before dismissing it?:rolleyes:

12. Squids

Squids New Member

I believe it was mixed analog anyway on nice big Neve. If you want to see the picture of the console it was mixed on go to my home page on myspace. It's the main pic right now. Studio D. Nice console and rack in that room eh? (eh, for the Canadian vibe ;) ).

13. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

Agreed.

14. Squids

Squids New Member

Here tis. This photo was actually taken on their day off. I had to take some pics of the console for the drum product we're doing at the studio. But, technically the automation and everything is set up for mixing their album. No one would know this otherwise of course but there you go! Nice console.

[​IMG]

15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

YEAH! THAT's why I love 'em-and, I believe, how they continue to exist. Evolve or die, basically. I haven't loved every track on every album, but I have liked every album at least in part. And I've been really the most shocked at their last live shows-MORE energetic that the first times I saw them 2 decades ago. Amazing they can do that, simply amazing.

16. StyxCollector

To each his own. "If I could wave my magic wand" indeed.

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Presto could have been a really great album, but the arrangements and production are really bad. Limp.

18. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Funny that this is how I feel about GUP, which some people here (and elsewhere) revere. Quite obvious about the switch in producers during the recording (from Steve Lillywhite to Peter Henderson). Also, too many songs where Geddy completely drops the bass for keyboards.

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I thought I read that Lillywhite outright rejected them and never did any sessions. Yeah, I think GUP was a bit too synthy and chorusy on the guitars , but it certainly had more cajones than Presto.

20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Found this:

21. missedexit

missedexit New Member

But, it was still The Who.

22. Murph

A bit more info on the album:
    Rich Chycki Comments on New Album: "Since the late fall, I've been in the studio recording and mixing a new CD for Rush with Nick Raskulinecz (Foo Fighters, Stone Sour) producing. Recording was completed at Allaire Studios in Shokan, New York during November/December 2006. I mixed the CD in the Neve 88R room (Studio D) at Ocean Way Studios in Los Angeles. Experiencing their immense musical talent and personal integrity over the course of an entire CD was truly inspirational. And Nick is such an enthusiastic, focused talent as well -- a rocker through and through too. A small snippet of the first single 'Far Cry' is posted at rush.com .... enjoy the 'hemispheres chord' ... heh heh heh."

23. StyxCollector

That's from http://www.mixland.ca/blog/index.htm just incase anyone questions it.

BTW Murph, nice sig - a HYF quote no less!

24. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

Hemispheres... oh, my! :D :righton:

25. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

AGREED! It was my fave song on that record from the first I heard it. I was/am suprised it never became more of a favorite/staple. In fact they never even played it on the Presto tour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.