New Rush Album - Snakes and Arrows *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StyxCollector, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles Thread Starter

Technically not true. While R30 was a "celebration" of 30 years of Rush, technically it was the Feedback tour.

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yes. It was the good old boys down there trying to be tough. Anyone that knows Rush knows these guys have had ZERO controversy in over 30 years in the business.

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

What does this mean and what does it have to do with the thread?

4. missedexit

missedexit New Member

True, but technically there was no new "Rush" material, as Feedback was a back to basics cover's release. Still were great shows, though!

5. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

6. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

7. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

According to Alex, I think it was the soup. :laugh:

8. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

9. I am a huge Rush fan,. That should come as no surprise to anyone who has read my posts in these Rush threads.

What should come as a surprise is the fact that I've listened to my copy of Vapor Trails from begining to end once. ONCE. Hated it.

Here's to hoping Snakes and Arrows (or whatever it ends up being called) is an improvement.

10. serge

serge Forum Resident

i love power windows.. it was during that album's release i got hooked on them.. i happen to prefer rush from 78ish to 85...

they really lost the plot after power windows though IMHO..

saw them live maybe 10 years ago.. they were good but its was all a little too perfect if you know what i mean....

the stuff about the new album sounds cool..

the world needs a good new rush album... i mean GOOD

11. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

In my opinion, their really good albums stopped after Signals. They went heavy duty into synths and became somewhat lighter and new wave...until around Counterparts. But what is great about Rush is that the band has had so many different phases in their career and fans who like different ones. It's all good. They seemed to have come full circle.

12. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

13. StyxCollector

I was thinking the same thing! The guitar tone and the unison phrasing :love: May 1 can't come fast enough.

14. joe flipper

joe flipper New Member

We wish....i smell tease !!

15. StyxCollector

GUP is anything but a light album ... it's pretty dark. And for a synth album, it rocks. I think it melds a lot of their sounds together very well. I could see you saying that about certain things from that era, but not GUP.

16. I can't wait either! New Rush...:righton:

17. Squids

Squids New Member

Even one instrumental would be great. For some reason I seem to remember a "plural" when talking to Rich the engineer who I made friends with and may work with actually on a sample session. I also made a good connection with Alex regarding AmpliTube software and the Stomp IO. He's really into it and wants to be the first to try it as well as the AT Jimi Hendrix Edition and some forthcoming inventions in the works. It was cool to see him so excited about it. I told him I saw the Signals tour and it is one of my favorite albums. We had a great conversation. He was so much nicer than I would have thought. I'd have thought maybe aloof and distant but it was quite the contrary. Very animated and friendly.

One thing to note is that in certain situations like being in the studio when Rush was or watching Genesis rehearse I've noticed that there were some of their classic albums lying around. For instance, I saw the original Rush album around which I guess could have been there because someone was signing it. But it was cool just to see it. Genesis had Seconds Out and the Platinum Collection with a boom box for reference... maybe a few other discs. With Genesis I saw how they used it. If there was something they hadn't played in a while (well, they hadn't played in a while period!) they would put it on to see who was playing what (especially vocal harmonies). With Rush I have no idea but I was imagining someone pulling up an old track and saying "No, play more like this!". Anyway, how they did it will probably come up in interviews (if it hasn't already, I don't read those) but I may ask Rich about it. Maybe I can get him to come in here actually. There seem to be so many great engineers and producers making appearances in this forum. That's really cool!

I can also probably get Allen Sides to come in here too. Then we can all ask him about those 5.1s! Although that story was interesting SC. They should just release the full box set. It seems ridiculous not to because some albums were less popular. Ah well, you know how that goes.

Rush in 5.1 that would great too. A box set. I hope everyone buys the Genesis 5.1 box sets so that other bands follow. More Yes in 5.1 would be nice too especially Close to the Edge.

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

:goodie: :cool: :love: :righton: :) :D :edthumbs:

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

That is a sweet tone!!!!!

20. Pretty dark? Red Sector A? Between the Wheels? I'd say those are two of the darkest Rush songs, period. Even some of the imagery of The Body Electric is dark ("it replays each of the days, a hundred years of routines. bows its head and prays to the mother of all machines . . .). Sheesh--what a bleak android existence! Anyone who calls GUP a "light album" obviously has not listened to the lyrics very closely.

21. Agreed--sounds GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!

22. Cornholio

Cornholio Are you threatening me?

I agree, it is a dark album. The subject matter and the music have a gloomy feel to them, but I love it! And about how the albums rocks...Red Lenses is my all-time favorite Rush tune to just crank up and let 'er rip. :D

23. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

Definitely sounds like the same big chord and tone of Hemispheres. A tease, yet promising.

24. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

That was supposed to happen a few years back Squids but apparently they either lost multi-tracks or they were damaged. I don't know if that will see the light of day ever unfortunately.

25. StyxCollector

It's fun to play live - it's one we do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.